Heads for sound reduction?

Shark Pit

Hi! I am a drummer and the inventor of the lidwish Soulutions Ultra Tones Drum Sticks and Kick Beaters. They reduce volume on acoustic drum kits. Currently I am using Remo Pin Striped 2 ply heads. Do Evans or Aquarian make heads that reduce sound? I have found that the Remo heads I am using work well with my product but am seeking other opinions and experiences with the volume capability of other heads. Any suggestions?

Aloha!

Lazaro

Last edited:
Remo Pinstripe heads do not have any oil in between the 2 plies. They may look as if they do, but they don't. The only heads, to my knowledge, that have oil between the 2 plies are Evans Hydraulic heads. The Hydraulics may be the least resonant heads out there.

Remo Pinstripe heads do not have any oil in between the 2 plies. They may look as if they do, but they don't. The only heads, to my knowledge, that have oil between the 2 plies are Evans Hydraulic heads. The Hydraulics may be the least resonant heads out there.

My bad....I mean the Remo pinstripe two ply. LOL You are right, cuz it's not oil filled. But so far work pretty good. Always looking for better of course. Which are the best in your experience?

Ruok is spot on with the hydraulics. They're just about the least resonant most "dead" sounding head you can get. However that doesn't necessarily mean they're quieter. They're probably quieter than most heads, but then again Mike Wengren of Disturbed uses Hydraulic heads, and he is known for his loud and definitive tom sounds.

Evans Hydraulic bro,

will reduce your tom volume by at least 30%
50% if you use them top and bottom

I have a friend who has them on his kit top and bottom and
you can hit as hard as you want and it is still pretty low volume.

Believe it or not with good tuning you can get a little resonance
(more like a warm thud)
with these but they definately make your drums A LOT quieter...

I played drums with Evans Hydraulic heads as batters and they really didn't sound bad IF the drums were tuned to their sweet spot. They still had some resonance and sustain to their sound. But also having them on the drum's resonant side, it probably would suck out any inherent information that the drums are made for. You'd save a lot of money just banging on cardboard boxes, lol.

Dennis

Back