Opinions: 2 Single or 1 Double & Why

whwdrum

I am finding that I can get 2 of the same model singles for less than the cost of the double, obviously as there are no connecting rods, etc...

This sounds like a better deal to me for a few reasons:
- I get to play the 2nd kick, I paid for it why not.
- I think the sound distribution would be better from 2 seperate points.
- Saves a few Hamilton$

So I am curious about others opinions and why/what works for them; musically, style, technique, etc..

Thanks for the input.
Hope this hasn't been ran thru before, didn't see in a search.

Will

There is something about 2 kicks that you don't get from a double pedal; you move more air, which makes a bigger presence.

But for actual gigging, double pedal. Carrying two bass drums around get cumbersome after a while. Not every venue has two bass drum mics. Sometimes you get booked onto a stage where you have to scale back. And if even that's not an issue, just having to load and unload an extra drum is a chore after a while.

- Bass drums are expensive.
- Bass drum heads are expensive.
- Tuning 2 drums is >2x as much work as one (>2 because you have to tune them with themselves and with each other).
- Moving 2 drums is 2x as much work as one.
- 2 drums take up more space in car and anywhere they're used.

Not saying 2 is bad... Just a quick 'cons' list. I'm sure there are plenty more.

double pedal
because i don't want to have to carry a second bass drum

I'm new to the whole doubles world myself and although I have both a double pedal and double bass drums, I like the look and feel of the big double bass kit. I'm at the point in my career where if the venue isn'tbig enough for two, then I won't be broken hearted if I don't get to use my second bass drum and my music hardly makes it a requirement that I need two bass drums. I don't have issues with transporting that much stuff and I make enough money to buy heads when I need them. It's just a matter or priorities. I feel ripped off when I hear two bass drums but only see one bass drum. Some of my favorite players never compromised (Bellson, Aldridge, Bozzio, etc.,.....). I don't see why I should have to.

i actually have a different opinion
i hate two different sounding bass drums
i like double bass that sounds perfect (i.e. the real high quality triggers used on big death metal albums)
i think i'm just a product of my environment though :p

I don't have a real settled opinion on that as I've never had a full kit so far. But 2 bass drums might not be the worst idea if you have lots of toms/stuff so the bass drums might even come in handy with placing everything (some elements mounted on the bass drums).

I think soundwise it doesn't make a huge difference using 1 vs. 2 bass drums. Maybe this is also related to the playing speed. Virgil Donati's double pedal work on one single bass drum sounds fabulous, but right away I can't name one drummer playing really fast double bass (say, 230+ bpm) stuff but using 1 bass drum. (Wait - there are some: e.g. Gavin Harrison).

I have a double pedal and two bass drums with singles - I have to say that I prefer the feel and sound of playing with two drums everytime. With a double pedal (mine in particular) one beater is offset from centre slightly and the other more-so. This isn't an issue for playing but feels less natural than using two independant pedals to strike exactly where you like them to on the head.

That being said, however, the set up flexibility that double pedals bring mean that I largely play without both drums at gigs, band practice and when I'm short on time to set up and play at home. Plus all the other points about space, financial impact, effort in tuning blah blah blah.

Conclusion - double bass drums = the best option. Double pedal = most practical.

Hedge your bet and get a demon drive. You can convert a double pedal to two singles. I think the axis pedals can do it too bit not sure which model.

Having two kicks sounds, looks and feels great, but I would most definitely always have a double pedal as backup. As mentioned above, not all venues have two kick mics, or the room for a double kick setup on stage.

If you like playing double bass drums and you don't mind lugging the extra drum around, go for it. Just make sure you have a double pedal handy for when you need it, or get a pedal that can work as both a double pedal and two singles, like the Pearl Demon Drive (I believe Axis and Trick pedals support this as well).

Having 2 kicks is always better playing wise. For me, at least, the slack in the slave was apparent. But, as the others said, its not practical. When I had the big kit, I never took the second kick on gigs.

The best solution is, like others have mentioned, a doulbe that converts into 2 singles. In the 80's and 90's, every double pedal did this. Most dont today unfortunately. The reason I bought the Yamaha Flying Dragon double was because it did.

Usually its all about feel, no lag and heaviness from the slave.
Although, with Trick's Pro V-1 and Pearl's Demon Drive the slave feels almost identical to the main pedal and both of them can be converted into 2 singles.
So maybe one of these pedals is the best option.

The new longboard Yamahas (8500C) separate into 2 singles as well, if you dont want ti drop the cash for Trick/Demon Drive, look into those.

i actually have a different opinion
i hate two different sounding bass drums
i like double bass that sounds perfect (i.e. the real high quality triggers used on big death metal albums)
i think i'm just a product of my environment though :p

Its funny that you mention two different sounding bass drums...Ive heard that on a double bass kit, one bass is actually supposed to be tuned a half step higher or lower to the other one for distinguishing purposes.

I would figure for recording purposes, a double bass kit would be ideal due to getting a full sound out of every stroke of the pedal, instead of choked off strokes with using a single bass, double pedal set up, unless you are set up with triggers, which then you may as well be playing a roland electric kit ;-)

I feel ripped off when I hear two bass drums but only see one bass drum. Some of my favorite players never compromised (Bellson, Aldridge, Bozzio, etc.,.....). I don't see why I should have to.

I have always felt this way. I have 2 bass drums but recently went to a double pedal to make it easier to haul my kit. Years past when double pedals started to come around I always hoped people relised that the drummer really wasnt that fast, he was using 2 feet.

Usually its all about feel, no lag and heaviness from the slave.
Although, with Trick's Pro V-1 and Pearl's Demon Drive the slave feels almost identical to the main pedal and both of them can be converted into 2 singles.
So maybe one of these pedals is the best option.

A double bass kit just has that Powerful look and sound. Plus, you don't have to deal with any pesky U-joint shafts. But like many have said, it is a pain to tote an extra bass drum on stage - when they give you enough room for it. Plus that 2nd DW Collectors BD wasn't in the budget!

The Trick Dominator Double pedal slave also has the same feel as the main pedal. No lag, delay or latency. I just took off the left pedal on my practice kit and put it onto a practice pad in my office last night. Took about 5 seconds to remove the U-joint shaft. Unfortunately it took 5 minutes to remove the pedal from the carpet because of the velcro.

A double bass kit just has that Powerful look and sound. Plus, you don't have to deal with any pesky U-joint shafts. But like many have said, it is a pain to tote an extra bass drum on stage - when they give you enough room for it. Plus that 2nd DW Collectors BD wasn't in the budget!

The Trick Dominator Double pedal slave also has the same feel as the main pedal. No lag, delay or latency. I just took off the left pedal on my practice kit and put it onto a practice pad in my office last night. Took about 5 seconds to remove the U-joint shaft. Unfortunately it took 5 minutes to remove the pedal from the carpet because of the velcro.

Velcro and the carpet I could see that being a literal PITA.... LOL!!!
Sounds like it did it's job well.

well, for example, last night I was helping out (standing backstage like a boss) at fleshgod apocalypse london gig with the black dahlia murder/skeletonwitch;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWuvjIPpxY

if the kicks didnt sound the same it would get real confusing i think

like i said, its probably just because of the music i frequently encounter at the moment

Back