Do your pets like your drumming?

jwildman

I have two cats and a dog and none of them do. The cats will run in terror whenever I play my hihats or chinas and my dog just won't go down in my basement because of all the noise coming from there. Do you guys have any pets that'll chill with you when your jamming?

One of my cats will hang around while I'm practicing. She seems to like jazz. The other two haul ass out of the music room as soon as I sit down behind the drums.

I was always abit worried about effecting my cats hearing, it's a lot more sensitive than ours. So I shut him in a different room, now I only use a pad in my new flat so it's not as bad. It's just a little annoying when he tries to get on my lap or attack my sticks while I'm practicing.

My 10 year old dog doesnt mind it as much as she used to..Getting older guess she cant hear like she used to,But she does get out of the den when i start to play.

My cat used to run away like hell when I had the kit in my house :)

i play an electronic kit at home. one of my cats hates it, but the other one sits on the table next to the kit while i'm practicing and meows like crazy whenever i stop.

My dog Toby leaves the room as soon as the first stroke hits a drum head. Every once in a while he'll run into the room between songs with a rubber ball and try to get one of us to play with him. Maybe he's just trying to make us quit.

Right now I have my kit (yup, MY OWN KIT!) in my living room and have noticed that my dog will do one of two things. She will either high tail it to the door or lay down and watch me. I guess it just depends on her mood!

My bird however has always tweeted to music, if she can be louder than the music then she really goes for it! So when I am playing the drums upstairs, she tries to drown me out!

Barney the one-eyed bassedor thinks it's OK, doesn't care hat much one way or the other

Franklin the Corgi/Alsatian LOVES drumming. Despite our discouragement, he likes to put his nose on the reso heads (sometimes in a bass port) likes to grab the kick beater (for which he gets a mallet on the head) and will regularly tip over my snare or just put his front legs up on my lap and watch
if he doesn't get to play (we yell at him b/c we are trying to work something out) he either grabs a toy and tries to may the drums play with him or askes to go outside and run in circles

all with a big doggie smile

I used to have a corgi who would lay down in front of the bass drum when I played. Corgis are apparently a strange breed!

My Abyssinian cat loves to be in the same room when I drum. He finds a sunny spot and sleeps. I mostly play congas and other hand drums now so the dynamics are narrow and not too loud.

GJS

I had 2 birman cats until 1 died about 2 weeks ago, and they both hated it, the surviving one still hates it sometimes, and sometimes will just do a runner out of the house asap :p

George.

I have mute on my drums and the dog comes and lays next to my floor tom when I play. She hates the crash cymbals though so I just groove and fill when she's there.

I had 2 birman cats until 1 died about 2 weeks ago, and they both hated it, the surviving one still hates it sometimes, and sometimes will just do a runner out of the house asap :p

George.

Sorry to hear about your cat man. Definitely sux losing a pet. My one orange kitten would crawl through the hole in my bass drum and sleep on the pillow. Well one time I sat down and first thing I hit was the bass drum... he freaked out and was bouncing around trying to find his way out. I felt so bad but after that he would either try playing with the beater as I played or lay on the couch and watch. I loved that kitten, but he escaped and I never found him.

The current dog and cat absolutely HATE when I play. Oh well... I dont like em too much either. The dog pees on my stands and the cat hates me and everyone else. And she stinks. LOL

My pet panda and catapiller just love it, and they often join on on maracas and triangle respectivley

haha

Was pinging along on my new ride just yesterday and the little fella starting singing along, howling away. Yeah, he likes it. He runs and hides under the bed at the sight of the vacuum cleaner though.

Attachments

• span.jpg
    span.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 279

what do you think?

View attachment 33839

That you re left handed and have a beautiful dog... And that if I was a dog I would use my super-sensitive hearing powers to my advantage.

Not quite sure what advantage that would be, but I would be the first dog to play everything in perfect tuning and brag about it to all my doggie friends. Then bitch about how some dogs have bigger kits than mine... or why I cant do triplets because opposable thumbs are "over-rated".

Maybe I would just lay there and enjoy life as it is... And feel bad for dogs that have nothing. And then enjoy some table scraps and lay down, comfortable and warm. And if that damn cat comes near me I m gonna bark and chase it away....

Back