Dave Grohl

First it giveth, and he plays the floor tom, not double bass. ;)

Castillo does it here - http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRA4uxmLDrA

QOTSA track the drums and cymbals seperately, that could explain the hi-hats. And if i am no mistaken Dave isn't doing double bass stuff there, its all Bonham style triplets on the toms and kick. He uses a single. Ive seen Joey Castillo do it live and i can confirm he uses a single on that song.
Yup, the classic grohl fill, he does similar things in all the tenacious D stuff and and in the videos here on DW.

Last edited:
True, But Nirvana was a good band, I would rather listen to Nirvana than 80's "Hair Metal" anyday.

indeed man, long live school, blew and mr. moustache :)

Yea they were a good band. Best of the 90's? Don't think so, but they were up there.

who else? ^^

You didn't hear it, you read it. Also later on i retracted that statement. What i mean was that to me, he made Nirvana, him and Kris did.

risky statement!

Better band than Nirvana in the 90's? I have a few to name, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, I really had a bias towards Kurt Cobain. After reading the biography on Dave Grohl, hearing about Kurt Cobain and the things he did kinda pissed me off.

I can't really judge that 'cause i haven't read dave's biography yet,
but i have read kurdts and his diaries and i'm telling you, he may have done some pretty nasty things but you got to count in what hes been throu... he wasn't made for the musicBusiness.

and I agree that those are all great bands and alice in chains may be AS good as nirvana, the rest still great too. you certainly forgot pearl jam there too, and i'm sure there are a lot of other great bands (mostly grunge or stonerrock) too. but that doesn't make nirvana less good. In fact the only band that beats nirvana in the ninetees imo is Kyuss.

so nirvana is certainly one of the best bands of the ninetees!

i love nirvana and foo fighters, but even if i hated them i would have to admit that dave grohl is possibly the greatest drummer of all times.. he didnt show it much in nirvana, but i cant blame him i wouldnt want to give everything ive got either, but ive heard him just freestyle and stuff.. and boy is he amaing.. right up there with him is taylor hawkins (who i might add has some incredible drum solos), and travis barker. they are all amazing drummers!

I wouldent say that hes the best in the world but he is an exellent drummer. I really like his work with QOTSA and Probot.

I wouldent say that hes the best in the world but he is an exellent drummer. I really like his work with QOTSA and Probot.

i totally agree. he plays guitar and drums! hes in 2 bands! he is so GREAT!
[i also think hes quite fit lol!]

pinky x

[i'm a girl by the way!]

Ive never been a huge Grohl fan, but always respected him.
As far as his style of drumming in Nirvana's albums, well to be honest I dont think anyone could have played them any different... That was there sound. He is a pretty simple drummer, all around musician... Not the greatest, but im sure he has a great ear, great ability in the studio and experiance to back him up!
BUT being a huge NIN fan myself, for the individuals before saying "go listen to With Teeth", ok... Here it is... NIN is 99% synth controlled, im sure Dave played something, but im sure he played one or two measures, and they looped the hell out of his playing, mixed in other sounds, and by the time it was all done, it really is not even him playing...
Im not saying he is not capable of doing the double bass in the 2nd track on With Teeth, but the nature and the animal NIN is, is industrial... Yet im sure Grohl had a lot of input on what fills, and etc should take place.

Does anybody have an idea of his setup? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything, or did he just kinda use what was there?

Does anybody have an idea of his setup? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything, or did he just kinda use what was there?

I remember reading something that said he rocked all things big. 14, 18 toms, 24 bass..24inch ride and so on.

I remember reading something that said he rocked all things big. 14, 18 toms, 24 bass..24inch ride and so on.

On the QOTSA DVD, theres some bonus footage including Grohl playing with them for a few songs. It looks like he's playing just what Top Cat said, and I'm 100% certain its a 24" ride.

Back