Switched from Vic Firth Metal/Rock to Vater Power 5B

So I got to give em a whirl at practice last night. I REALLY dig The Vater Power 5Bs! The balance of heft to agility is nice. They offer a slightly shorter feel that I hardly noticed. But they felt very comfortable overall as I moved around the kit. Plus, I also felt like they didn't make me work as hard to do the same things. I will give these sticks a thumbs up for now and see how they hold up to punishment over time.

I also picked up a really cool Keplinger Ching Ring! I have tried some other ching ring thing in the past, didn't care for it and returned it. I dig this one a lot.

So I got to give em a whirl at practice last night. I REALLY dig The Vater Power 5Bs! The balance of heft to agility is nice. They offer a slightly shorter feel that I hardly noticed. But they felt very comfortable overall as I moved around the kit. Plus, I also felt like they didn't make me work as hard to do the same things. I will give these sticks a thumbs up for now and see how they hold up to punishment over time.

I also picked up a really cool Keplinger Ching Ring! I have tried some other ching ring thing in the past, didn't care for it and returned it. I dig this one a lot.

I find wear rates on sticks are about even since there's less mass and thus less force damaging the sticks when you hit rims and cymbals. You might get different results from VF to Vater as Vater uses Maple I believe?

I find wear rates on sticks are about even since there's less mass and thus less force damaging the sticks when you hit rims and cymbals. You might get different results from VF to Vater as Vater uses Maple I believe?

They may have maple options, but mine are hickory.

For second I thought the topic was "Switched at birth". Are you actually just talking about switching sticks?

For second I thought the topic was "Switched at birth". Are you actually just talking about switching sticks?

No. You are correct. We are talking about being switched at birth. However, it might be confusing because we are talking in drummer stick code. I can't remember who had the original legend, but you will need to reference that to make sense of this. There are many levels of conversation that are happening.

All hail the overlord.

No. You are correct. We are talking about being switched at birth. However, it might be confusing because we are talking in drummer stick code. I can't remember who had the original legend, but you will need to reference that to make sense of this. There are many levels of conversation that are happening.

All hail the overlord.

Sorry. I guess my next thread will be " changed my shoes today". I thought it was funny. I guess I was wrong. Please regale me with tales of how you switched to nylon tips.

Vic Firth also have the Extreme 55B, which is the same size in length and diameter to the Power 5B.

Worth checking out if you ever fancy a lighter alternative to the Vater. It's a nice stick.

Vic Firth also have the Extreme 55B, which is the same size in length and diameter to the Power 5B.

Worth checking out if you ever fancy a lighter alternative to the Vater. It's a nice stick.

Thanks, I will check them out the next time I run across them.

The Vater Power 5Bs have been holding up pretty well given the punishment that have been taking. Several practices in and they are just getting around to chipping a bit in the middle. They usually pull off shouldering the bell of the ride pretty well, but that is the main time, if any, that I miss a heavier stick like the Metals or Rocks. I might give the Vater Rocks a chance too.

OK. I picked up the VF Metals tonight for practice. I have to say, they are a hard one to let go. I think I might be sticking with them for a while longer yet. They just sound great with shouldering the bell. And although they are heavy and long, they seem to take a bit less effort to get the attack that I enjoy. Go figure..

And although they are heavy and long, they seem to take a bit less effort to get the attack that I enjoy. Go figure..

Yep..just let the stick do the work.

Even though they are weight matched,the weights are all over the place. I will start out the set with the heaviest pair that I have and switch to a lighter pair after a few songs.

Abe Laboriel are beefy and 17 inches long. I have played those. Maybe a shorter stick with the shape that is weight forward in taper will help.

I just experimented with several models of Vater sticks but I haven't found anything i like better that the Vic Firth Steve Smith and Keith Carlock models.

I started playing the VF Metal nylons (17") when they discontinued the Rock Crusher (17.25"). I used such a long stick as a beginner because I played a double-bass kit and had to reach a little further to get to the hats. Old habits!

Added bonus: The red tips make them the only stick that spouses, kids or even parents can buy for you and get the right ones.

Back