Yamaha Tour Custom Kit - Thoughts?

Danny51

Hey Guys, Well originally I had my mind set on purchasing a brand new Pearl Vision VBL Kit for around 1200 tax in. After some great opinions and input I started looking into used kits that would last me longer down the road and are a better quality make. I usually look through Kijiji and see some older kits, beginner and intermediate but I came across what I believe seems like quite the deal !

It is a Great Condition Yamaha Tour Custom, In the Sunburst Finish. It Includes the Hardware, along with all Brand new Evans G2 skins, Zildjian Sweet Ride A, Zildjian A Custom Crash, Sabian AA Hi hats. I talked to the seller for a bit and managed to get a price of 1000 for the bundle, Is this a deal that I should pull the trigger on? Everything seems awesome, but I just don't know much about the Kit and I can't find too much on it online. Is It an Intermediate kit? Or something Semi-pro , Similar to the Pearl Masters? Because I was also considering looking for a pearl Masters kit, which ive heard is right between pro and intermediate. Again Im looking for a great quality kit that will last me a while and that I wont want to replace for something better anytime soon. Also, How does it compare to my original choice, being the Pearl Vision VBL/VBX

Let me know !

Thanks

I've had an 1988 tour custom kit since 88, great drums. bought some absolutes a few yrs ago. I'm not positive but I think if they say made in Japan they are very high quality

I'd call it semi-pro but it is made with the "air-seal" system that Yamaha uses on their high end kits. The bearing edges are 60 degrees which Yamaha claims gives you a warmer and lower fundamental note. I'd go Tour Custom over Vision any day.

I'd call it semi-pro but it is made with the "air-seal" system that Yamaha uses on their high end kits. The bearing edges are 60 degrees which Yamaha claims gives you a warmer and lower fundamental note. I'd go Tour Custom over Vision any day.

YES YES YES

The Yamaha Tour Customs are excellent drums at a great price.

Hey Guys, Well originally I had my mind set on purchasing a brand new Pearl Vision VBL Kit for around 1200 tax in.

It is a Great Condition Yamaha Tour Custom, In the Sunburst Finish. It Includes the Hardware, along with all Brand new Evans G2 skins, Zildjian Sweet Ride A, Zildjian A Custom Crash, Sabian AA Hi hats. I talked to the seller for a bit and managed to get a price of 1000 for the bundle, Is this a deal that I should pull the trigger on?
Let me know !

Thanks
My $.02. Seems how you were considering sepnding $1200 on a new Vision kit, it seems the $1000 is well within your budget. With that said, the Yamaha Tour Custom drums are awesome drums. They have the potential to sound really good. As good as any pro level kit IMO. And Yamaha hardware is (again,IMO) some of the best if not "the best" out there. I really think you can't go wrong with this deal, especially given that this kit is ready to play. (drums, hardware, cymbals, pedals......GO!)

When your G2 heads get tired, try a set of coated Emporor's. My Absolute Maples love these heads. At least my ear loves em. :) Best of luck in your decision.

In my opinion, the Yamaha Tour drums are probably way better in every aspect compared to the Pearl Vision kits. Personally I would not buy a Pearl Vision set of drums, and I look at the Yamaha kits in a completely different light.

Dennis

Alright from what I've heard this sounds great ! One problem though, the crash he is including is 14 inch and I really was hoping for 17 inch and above. Should I just buy it and sell it on craigslist? And how would you guys say these compare to the Pearl Sessions?

Alright from what I've heard this sounds great ! One problem though, the crash he is including is 14 inch and I really was hoping for 17 inch and above. Should I just buy it and sell it on craigslist? And how would you guys say these compare to the Pearl Sessions?

What are the drum sizes, and is the snare included ? The drums and hardware alone cost about 1200 new. The Sweet Ride alone is probably worth up to $150 if it's in good condition. You're getting a package deal, so you shouldn't expect everything to align exactly with your expectations. Look at that 14" crash online and see if any are for sale, and if they sell. I admit that is an odd size and you may be stuck with it, however, it may be a cool cymbal to have as an accessory if it sounds good. You may offer $50 less given the odd size of the crash.

Well the session came with a stock snare, but the tour custom Has options as well, I can either get it with stock snare and stock hardware along with the 14 inch crash for 1000, or a Pearl eliminator Pedal, tour custom, Chad smith snare and 17 inch crash for 1300. I think ill go for that second deal

Back