Oil for T-Rods?

johnbarnesiii

Hello,

I bought an older drum kit and purchased all-new t-rods for the toms.

I was wondering... should I use some oil to lube up the rods before throwing on the hoops? Or do new rods even need oil?

If they are the proper fit they should need no lube as this may cause them to detune. If they were old maybe some cleaning with steel wool, but not oil.

I like wax-based bicycle chain lube, like White Lightning. A bottle will last your entire lifetime. I say wax because it doesn't hold dust like a petro based lube.

Last edited:
The only time I would lubricate the tension rod threads would be if there was some resistance in their travel, more so than it should be. After cleaning the threads I would use just a dab of Vaseline at the very tip of the rod.

Dennis

New drums come with a silicone based lube on the the tension rod threads.
Lubricating the rods from time to time if they need it will not hurt.
Automotive stores sell the clear silicone lubricant jell for lubricating the components of disc brake calipers.
It works great.
I have used it on my vintage kit when things get sticky.

I use bees wax.It stays solid unless it gets really hot and it lubes the tension rods just enough that they don't back out.

Steve B

Sounds like I need to update my lubricant- I'm tired of being paranoid about accidentally leaving a skanky container of Vaseline lying around the office anyway... looks bad...

Steve, what form of beeswax do you use, and how do you get it on the lugs?

I use the kind that comes naturally honeycombed that you can get from craft stores.People usually make candles from it..I use it when I change heads, or clean my drums, while I already have the tension rods out.I just put a small amount on the threaded end so when you put the rod back into the lug insert...it will lube the whole thing.I also use a small amount to lube and seal my bearing edges if they need it.

Steve B

I would definitely lubricate the tension rods, however I'd warn against using any sort of petrol-based product (like Vaseline). This stuff WILL dry out and turn to wax over time.

Your best bet would probably be lithium grease, or your standard shop oil (like "3-in-1", which much less viscous than Vaseline or Lithium). Even if the rods are brand new, tensioning them after lubrication will help ease up any rust/obstructions on the female threads.

Side note: lubrication will actually, in my experience, not effect the ability of the rods to hold tuning at all unless you REALLY drench them :)

Back