DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 PM

Default Taking off that casing, and then cleaning up the shells! .... question.

So I bought a 4-piece Gretsch shell pack from GC because they clearanced it out, but the casing the drums came in was GOD AWFUL; think horrible, then puke all over it and let it sit in the sun for a week or two, then stuff it into a pair of leather shoes and stick sweaty feet in it and let that soak, and you will have just cruised through the neighborhood of how ugly these shells were.

Anyhoo!

So, I unscrewed all the hardware, violently ripped off the casing to reveal the unlimited potential of plain Jane wood, but the sons of b****es put enough adhesive underneath to cover Oprah!

My question, gentlemen, and S&M aficionados, is what is the best way to remove all this farking sticky stuff? So far, warm, soapy water isn't working very well... I am thinking about just taking them to someone who deals with wood and let them clean it up.

Also, I am going to get a nice lacquer finish... what do you think?

^Just like that, except round, and a different color, and with two heads.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Taking off that casing, and then cleaning up the shells! .... question.

Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Taking off that casing, and then cleaning up the shells! .... question.

It's a messy job, but somebody's got to do it....
Old 01-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eits1986 View Post
but the casing the drums came in was GOD AWFUL; think horrible, then puke all over it and let it sit in the sun for a week or two, then stuff it into a pair of leather shoes and stick sweaty feet in it and let that soak, and you will have just cruised through the neighborhood of how ugly these shells were.

So, I unscrewed all the hardware, violently ripped off the casing to reveal the unlimited potential of plain Jane wood, but the sons of b****es put enough adhesive underneath to cover Oprah!

My question, gentlemen, and S&M aficionados, is what is the best way to remove all this farking sticky stuff?
Are you talking about the wrap covering on the shells? I've seen it mentioned on here a billion times, in addition to what Harry said, to heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer while peeling off the wrap, to leave less glue residue on the shell and not pull pieces of wood out of the top ply.

Never heard it called "casing" before... Or am I way off about what you meant?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

This is a bit off-topic, but since the forum's cleaning experts will probably read this can I just ask what the best way to clean/polish a chrome wrap on maple shells would be? I've got an old Ludwig kit that someone must have kept in a damp dusty garage for ten years.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
Are you talking about the wrap covering on the shells? I've seen it mentioned on here a billion times, in addition to what Harry said, to heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer while peeling off the wrap, to leave less glue residue on the shell and not pull pieces of wood out of the top ply.

Never heard it called "casing" before... Or am I way off about what you meant?
Wrap, casing... that shitty synthetic stuff covering the beautiful wood drum!

So heat the wrap up, or heat the residue up, or both? Will the heat gun not compromise the integrity (and thus, the sound) of the drum?

I can borrow a heat gun...

Also, it looks like they used f***ing masking tape, because there is still bits and pieces of it all over where the "wrap" was slapped on.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eits1986 View Post
Wrap, casing... that shitty synthetic stuff covering the beautiful wood drum!

So heat the wrap up, or heat the residue up, or both? Will the heat gun not compromise the integrity (and thus, the sound) of the drum?

I can borrow a heat gun...

Also, it looks like they used f***ing masking tape, because there is still bits and pieces of it all over where the "wrap" was slapped on.
That is probably double-sided tape used to hold the wrap on. Heat the wrap while still on the drum and it should come off much easier.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

If you've got all the wrap off already, don't worry about the heat gun. You're already past that stage. If you still have wrap to remove, then you heat the wrap and try to gently pull/pry it off the shell. (I use an old butterknife for that task). Jasco will take off the glue, and not harm the wood. Read the instructions on the can. Tape all the hardware holes up. I use blue painters masking tape. That minimizes the Jasco dripping into your shell interior, and removing the finish inside there.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover.

And a heat gun, but NOT at the same time.