Support for the 11" tom?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I'd like to start a movement, a petition perhaps, sent out to all the majors, that We The People want an 11" tom be made available.

Because why not, I'd really like to see one offered. Porter does too.

I think this is an untapped market and would earn profits for the companies that are farsighted enough to jump on it, depending on how much support there is.

I'd love to see an 11" tom basically replace the 10" tom as a standard. An 11" tom could be offered as an upgrade to a 10" tom.

Keep the 10's for sure but for Pete's sake give us an 11" tom already.

Remo will make 11" heads. I don't know the cost, I'd pay it though. I'd prefer Evans but I don't know if they would do 11" heads.

So I'm trying to get an idea of how much support there is for a new addition in the tom size department.

What say you?

Tama already tried this and it didn't work. DW and Neil Peart are pushing 23" bass drums and that's not really working out either (neither is Zildjians' 23" sweet ride knocking down any doors). 11" toms are just unloved, even with Tama's formidable distributing network. But you don't really need support, Larry. So long as Remo will make any of their heads you want in 11", you're covered if Andy will make you the drum.

But you don't really need support, Larry. So long as Remo will make any of their heads you want in 11", you're covered if Andy will make you the drum.

This is true. I do have evil plans to expand Yolanda. I'm thinking of getting an 11 rack, a 13 rack, and an 18 floor. I'd like a 20" bass drum, but I don't think I can justify the cost. Maybe in 2018.

I guess I didn't know that Tama tried and failed with the 11" tom.

Still, I am curious as to how many people would go for it.

The 23" bass drum to me is unnecessary. a 22 or 24 has it covered. The note is so low nuance doesn't matter.

But an 11" tom fills a hole IMO. Nuance matters big with toms.

A 10" tuned to a high tom note....which I like....dies kind of fast. A 12 tuned up to that same note sounds a little too choked to me. An 11" would be perfect for the tone I crave.

I'm glad I didn't post my original reply straight after this thread went live, I thought it was a joke and was going to knock the idea in favour of half and three quarter inch increments as options. Either that or suggest a snare stand as support.

I too thought this was in jest.
Nevertheless, a serious question has been overlooked...

How deep would this missing link 11" tom be?

11/13/16 would be perfect for me. Then I could ditch the 14, and I never liked 12" toms anyway :).

There were 11" toms many years ago. Maybe DW will bring them back and claim it's a new innovation? :O

As mentioned, Tama made a huge push for 11" toms at the very end of the 80's/early 90's.

Remo put out 11" heads. The store I worked at at the time even had a small stack of 11" heads ready for eager buyers.

And despite a lot of hype, it went no where quickly.

The 15" tom has been around for ages, yet very few people use one.

I'd like to start a movement, a petition perhaps, sent out to all the majors, that We The People want an 11" tom be made available.

Because why not, I'd really like to see one offered. Porter does too.

^o^ I bought an 11" RIMS mount just the other day because I know I'm going to use it at some point.

DrumEatDrum said:
The 15" tom has been around for ages, yet very few people use one.

I do! I dunno, it's nice to just have the option available, right? I mean this thread isn't going to get 11" toms made the standard tomorrow... but I would like them available in some regard, I guess.

Why stop there? How about 9" tom toms? And 21" bass drums?

I'd be happier of companies started making 14" toms (or floor toms) with 7 instead of 8 lugs.

Back