Pdp cx series vs. Ddrum dominion ash

bmxingmetalhead

I'm buying new drums and found a Pfp cx 5 piece kit and a ddrum dominion ash. Both in my price range but I've never played or seen either of these drums. There isn't much at all about these drums on the internet. So, should I go with the pdp kit or ddrum (both in fairly good condition). Note these aren't very close to me so I won't be able to go and try each one of the kits out.

That's a tough choice. Not exactly apples to apples. The CX kits from Ensenada have a reputation for being great sounding kits. The color selection is pretty limited and the wrap at this point will be at least six or seven years old. On the other hand ash is among the new cool of woods to make drums out of. It's grain is highly figured and looks great. Despite my love of maple, I find ash kits to sound very nice. The ddrum kit will probably have a 16" floor tom while the CX probably has a 14". Summary: the PDP will sound better, but the ddrum will sound good too, look nicer and probably have a bigger floor tom (i prefer a 16" floor). All this assuming they are both in good condition.

The CX kits from Ensenada used the same maple as the DWs of the time (DW just got first pick, and then the truck would drive to the Ensenada factory). Great shells! If the badge says "Taiwan" on it, run the other way.

The Ddrum Ash kits sound okay, but the CX gets my vote, hands down, as long as it's made in North America.

I have a set of PDP CX's. 10, 12, 14, 22. It is my new gig kit, they replaced the Pearls shown in my avi.

I like my CX kit a lot. I like the 32 TPI tuning rods. My shells/edges are, for all intents and purposes, perfect. I've never owned/played a set of DDrums, but based on my experiences, I would have no hesitation recommending the PDP's. I got my set used for $125.00 USD. Best deal I ever got on drums.

The PDP CX kits are one of the best kept secrets in the drumming world IMO. I downgraded from a Tama Starclassic Performer to a CX a few years ago and was completely happy with my choice. Beautiful looking, and sounding, drums. In comparison to the set of custom C&C drums I upgraded to after that, I never noticed a huge difference in sound quality aside from the bass drum (24" on the C&C kit, vs 22" on the PDP) and the snare. The CX snare was never anything to write home about IMO, and the C&C snare is still one of my favorites to this day. I ended up trading the C&C kit for a Yamaha Oak Custom and cash and still would have no qualms going back to the PDP kit. It recorded great and the blue crushed glass wrap was stunning.

Back