Bass Travelling

Razbo

Just thought I'd share this in memory of a very cool cat named Jerry (LN blanking). Back in the day, ('70s, possibly very late 60's) I didn't even know spurs existed. Maybe they didn't, I am not sure. I was a child of 7 or 8 for frig's sake!

The solution of the traveling bass drum was given to me by the afore mentioned, very cool cat drummer influence of my child hood: tie a rope to the bottom key of the bass, loop it around a leg of the drum stool, and tie onto the obvious other key of the bass drum. Dat muther ain't going anywhere you don't.

To this day, I carry some thin rope in my bag.

p.s also used it for years of playing with no fancy "spurs" or mats. It is infallible. ...Infallible I say!

Last edited:
Noice! However, what about the hit hat and the floor tom? My floor tom tends to drift, if you know what I mean. Mostly into my leg.....

Noice! However, what about the hit hat and the floor tom? My floor tom tends to drift, if you know what I mean. Mostly into my leg.....

Interesting. Do you play on a boat?

I have used the same trick on hi hats.... and the rope trick should work for anything that moves _away_. Not too sure about your FT problem... It must like you!

An idea comes to mind, though. A 1/8" thick strip of mfd (or anything), couple inches wide and at the correct length with a hole drilled at each end for a leg of the stool and the FT to sit in.

I see drummers complain about drums and hardware moving from time to time.
I never have this problem and it always intrigues me a bit when I hear about it.
I use a thin, inexpensive, loop pile rug with a rubber backing. I adjust the spikes on my pedals, spurs, and hat stand to slightly stick out.
Even my vintage drums with the tiny rubber feet on the floor tom legs and bass drum spurs don't move about no matter how hard I play.
The small rubber feet make little craters in the rug and the drums stay put.
I recently began playing double pedals on my 60's vintage Ludwig kit with a virgin bass drum.
I figured that I would have a bass drum travel issue but the spikes on the Tama pedal suffice with the stock Ludwig 9.5mm rubber tipped bass drum spurs,
even though my double pedal technique isn't fully developed yet.

I guess that's the thing. I most times have a carpet as part of my kit. I have forgotten it on occasion and these are the things I notice. Inevitably the times I forget are generally on a hardwood floor or some such. I think there was some guy on here that had a business that had straps specifically set up in the way that the OP mentioned, and with straps that attached the HH and floor tom to the throne. $20 for a off-cut bit of carpet is all I need....just gotta remember the fricken thing!

I have not played out on drums since I returned to them, so I'm not sure what venues normally have in place. At home, it's on carpet and nothing moves. A loose end of carpet is really a good solution and on my list of More Stuff To Get. A tad bulkier than rope though.

Using straps would look a bit more pro. That's a really good idea! Time to hit up my fabric store for some nylon straps. (I can't sew up a sock, but I go there so often, I have a discount card. You'd be surprised the music-related benefits of a fabric store!)

I see drummers complain about drums and hardware moving from time to time.
I never have this problem and it always intrigues me a bit when I hear about it.
I use a thin, inexpensive, loop pile rug with a rubber backing. I adjust the spikes on my pedals, spurs, and hat stand to slightly stick out.
Even my vintage drums with the tiny rubber feet on the floor tom legs and bass drum spurs don't move about no matter how hard I play.
The small rubber feet make little craters in the rug and the drums stay put.
I recently began playing double pedals on my 60's vintage Ludwig kit with a virgin bass drum.
I figured that I would have a bass drum travel issue but the spikes on the Tama pedal suffice with the stock Ludwig 9.5mm rubber tipped bass drum spurs,
even though my double pedal technique isn't fully developed yet.

The loop pile rug with a rubber backing is also called an olefin mat. Used in public building entrances a lot.

These mats are the best thing ever. The nap grips scratchy velcro incredibly well - I don't even have to extend spikes, as the bottom of my pedal is velcroed and keeps the drum from moving. They last forever, are cheap to replace, roll up and transport well and the rubber edging means they never curl. I use a small one, just 2 by 3 feet.

Back