DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drumming pet peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
My Pet Peeve is people who only play light jazz every other weekend, and then claim "I've never broken a cymbal in 30 years!"

Well, duh.
Yay, DED! That was going to be my next one, but I couldn't come up with the right delivery. Sweet!

I didn't know Buddy ever broke cymbals, but I guess I'm not surprised. I did know that Elvin was able to crack his way through his share, and we all know what a hack he was!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMist View Post
Suppose to be played musically not bashed with a baseball bat. Sorry but nobody should break a cymbal no matter what style they are playing.....
What is "supposed to" even mean? Okay, I'm with you on the baseball bat thing. However, I've not seen anyone do that yet. Honestly, the people I've seen breaking cymbals, including me, are doing it with drumsticks. It happens. I don't know why people get so uptight over that. It's my money, they're my cymbals, and I get to choose how I play. And I'm not complaining about it.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Amazing! I still dont get how you guys break'm but all to ya...cheers
My philosophy is that all cymbal sounds are good and musically valid. Some of the sounds that a cymbal can make can only occur when they are played in such a way that would break them. Part of that philosophy is that I consider cymbals to be expendables like sticks and heads are. My goal is not to break them, but to play what is right for whatever music I am creating.

Some of the music I have created has been very loudly played, and with an attitude of anarchist rebellion where the intent was to say 'F*&K OFF' to others rules and regulations. This also meant saying FO to some of the rules and regulations posed by other musicians.

There are NO rules and regulations in music, and this is a primary reason why I LOVE music so much! :)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I guess you break cymbals?

No, they are all defective and started cracking on their own.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Yay, DED! That was going to be my next one, but I couldn't come up with the right delivery. Sweet!

I didn't know Buddy ever broke cymbals, but I guess I'm not surprised. I did know that Elvin was able to crack his way through his share, and we all know what a hack he was!
Elvin was amazing.

His drum tech would literally nail a piece of wood to the stage to prevent his drum kit from sliding around.

Which of course, always pissed off the stage manager. But the tech would do it anyway.

And Elvin would sweat buckets as he played. His shows were intense!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Crazy8s

Buddy rarely broke cymbals because he always had new cymbals to play. He did play them hard enough to break them though, if the cymbals sat on the kit long enough.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

He also played them both ways, up and down, which must increase the chances of cracking them. I would have thought so, anyway.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

At my local Guitar Center they won't even let you play unless you show them money up front. Sometimes they will let you play the E-Kits If you ask. I don't understand how people even play the kits that they have set up in the show room because they are set up so poorly and tuned terribly. Maybe that's just my local GC. I've never been to a different one.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Royal

Drumming pet peeves

Having to set up my kit in a rush. I like to take my time & get everything exactly as I want it. And I will NOT be rushed.
I always arrive early so all's well, but if we travel together & we are delayed I now refuse to rush. I WILL take my time.

It makes a change from the routine wobbly's the guitarists throw.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
Buddy rarely broke cymbals because he always had new cymbals to play. He did play them hard enough to break them though, if the cymbals sat on the kit long enough.
I did notice that from the article.

He rarely broke cymbals, but he always wanted new ones.

That's like saying "I never have to change the oil in my car, because I trade it in every 3000 miles" LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
At my local Guitar Center they won't even let you play unless you show them money up front. Sometimes they will let you play the E-Kits If you ask. I don't understand how people even play the kits that they have set up in the show room because they are set up so poorly and tuned terribly. Maybe that's just my local GC. I've never been to a different one.
The local GC in Boston has some pretty shitty kits up anyways that are tuned terribly and I'd be lucky if they put some Ziljdian A's on em. The nice kits are usually up on the walls. I don't have fun going to GC anymore, this store has limited selection and the "drummer" sales guy one time had no idea what he was talking about (head tuning) and another time half ignored me half answered my question about snare strands.

I have way more fun going to specialized drum shops but they can be a drive
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Oh well I guess I struck a nerve not realizing I was the only one who doesn't break cymbals. I play all Paiste Sigs with power crashes. I cant imagine how it's even possible to break those unless you hit them with a hammer ( And I've been playing drums for 25+ years). They are so thick and ring out without even hitting them hard. I play rock so enough with the jazz comments. Everyone has their own approach...happy trails and no offense.
Having an idea of what you're talking about would also help. According to you Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, and thousands of other pro players should call it a day eh?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Crazy8s

OK, I take it back... I done have ONE pet peeve about drumming, but it is aimed at myself. My pet peeve is thinking too deeply into some paltry stuff that involves drumming.

At the end of the day, it isn't rocket surgery. It's just bangin away at the drumset! :) ...and crackin some cymbals along the way, or not, is just fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Hmm, all the GC comments about poor setups. Quite odd. My local GC has great setups (intermediate-pro kits) and great cymbals. Allowed to play all of the kits set up as long as it's in reason. Some 15 year old kids do go in and play the simplest 4/4 beat as loud as possible, but some really good drummers play there, too.
As for me, I do play there, and I stay in the drum department for a long time, just to try out EVERYTHING that I possibly can, just to make sure I have a feel for what I like and dislike.

As for my pet peeves---People/Drummers who think blast beats are the most amazing and brutal thing in the world.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

My pet peeve is the current craze over double pedals. They're the single most discussed item in technique, gear and other threads, yet they have very limited use and usually annoy the hell out of other musicians.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 AM

My biggest pet peeve is when people try to sell used drum equipment at basically brand new price, and then they take offense when you ask them if they would take less.

For example, im looking to buy a beat around kit and was looking at a pdp x7 on craigslist.... he wants 900 with no cymbals or hardware.... The only thing updated are the heads and a GC 6 month coverage. I can go buy the brand new kit for 899 from anywhere online. It probably shouldnt bug me but it does for some reason haha
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthemez View Post
My biggest pet peeve is when people try to sell used drum equipment at basically brand new price, and then they take offense when you ask them if they would take less.
^ This.

Although I my bigger peeve is when someone posts a used piece of gear on ebay at a reasonable price, and then a bidding war breaks out and the end price is what it cost new.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 AM

i signed up to the forum just to chime in on this....for me i hate it when the beat drops after a fill,and there is a pause to get back to the hats.i read a earlier thread about someone speeding up in the next bar after the pause,my solution to overcome this myself is instead of a fill,do a quick rythmic change,an accent... pause or hit the kick on the 2 or 3,give the floor tom a good monster hit and get right back on the beat!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan01 View Post
The local GC in Boston has some pretty shitty kits up anyways that are tuned terribly and I'd be lucky if they put some Ziljdian A's on em. The nice kits are usually up on the walls. I don't have fun going to GC anymore, this store has limited selection and the "drummer" sales guy one time had no idea what he was talking about (head tuning) and another time half ignored me half answered my question about snare strands.

I have way more fun going to specialized drum shops but they can be a drive
Sorry to hear that, when's the last time you were in there? I actually started working there recently. We do have some mediocre kits set up now (only one DW) as we show kits that are mid price range for the holiday season, but other than that we usually have some pretty solid gear for people to check out.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

drummers that use double bass as a crutch. it jus makes me mad.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
my bigger peeve is when someone posts a used piece of gear on ebay at a reasonable price, and then a bidding war breaks out and the end price is what it cost new.
Yeah, it's weird that the bidders keep going. Guess it's a combo of some people not knowing the retail price and competition. Frustrating ...
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
My pet peeve is the current craze over double pedals. They're the single most discussed item in technique, gear and other threads, yet they have very limited use and usually annoy the hell out of other musicians.
I agree, another one is all of the threads on fast single stroke rolls. Everyone is concerned about speed not quality.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
I agree, another one is all of the threads on fast single stroke rolls. Everyone is concerned about speed not quality.
Young people are often keen on speed. It's the excitement, the thrill ride. I was too, back in the day.

These days, give me a slow oozy blues and I'm happy. All that frenetic activity from the young 'uns just makes me feel queasy now lol ... and I expect my preferred music just puts a lot of 'em to sleep.

Never thought it would happen to me but there ya go.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droveto View Post
Professional is a useless word to use to describe a cymbal.
...and cymbal is a useless word to describe that metal round thing that comes with all those so called "starter kits"! :)
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
...and cymbal is a useless word to describe that metal round thing that comes with all those so called "starter kits"! :)
lol ... they're cymbal-like objects.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Anybody who complains when I practice.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

Darn, I go to jam and miss all the fun. Nice work on the pwnage above.

It's a really small thing, focused on one guy but it drives me nuts:

My rehearsal space shares a kit, there are 4 other drummers who use it. All but one of the guys have gotten into the habit (without having to say anything), of leaving wing nuts on cymbals stand only a couple turns on for the next guy, rather than tightening them down all the way. The same guy also doesn't use the clutch as intended and uses the 2 top nuts to hold the cymbal instead of leaving them on top and using the proper bottom piece. Small, but a peeve.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

One other pet peeve is when I'm setting my kit up at a gig and some doofus insists on talking to me, wanting my undivided attention or wants to regale me about something in his own life he thinks is worthy of my time while I'm obviously trying to set up in a limited amount of time.

The ones who come by and compliment me on my kit or the band then walk away are ok. I apprecite those types.

It's the ones - you know the types - who having nothing better to do than stay staring and try and brag or impress me about their brother or uncle, or cousing who played drums years ago and "was very good, totally awesome" and "he set his drums up this other way, and man they sounded good, you really need to try them that way. And he had this brand of equipment that totally rocked, and YOU need to try that brand of gear and man, he tuned HIS drums this way and that way and if you're ever in Alaska drop in to this bar and hear his band play 'cuz they're awesome and his kit is totally cool....blah, blah, blah....."

Yeah, those types drive me nuts.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post

haha! yes, i've had a few of those. they don't bother me too much most of the time.

sometimes someone will come up to me after the show, identify themselves as a drummer and compliment me, which is much appreciated and really cool. i'll thank them, but then their friend says something like "yeah, my friend KILLS! he's in a death metal band and he DESTROYS his kit!!!!!" then the drummer guy asks if he can play my kit! at that point i'm like absolutely, positively no way!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
One other pet peeve is when I'm setting my kit up at a gig and some doofus insists on talking to me, wanting my undivided attention or wants to regale me about something in his own life he thinks is worthy of my time while I'm obviously trying to set up in a limited amount of time.

The ones who come by and compliment me on my kit or the band then walk away are ok. I apprecite those types.

It's the ones - you know the types - who having nothing better to do than stay staring and try and brag or impress me about their brother or uncle, or cousing who played drums years ago and "was very good, totally awesome" and "he set his drums up this other way, and man they sounded good, you really need to try them that way. And he had this brand of equipment that totally rocked, and YOU need to try that brand of gear and man, he tuned HIS drums this way and that way and if you're ever in Alaska drop in to this bar and hear his band play 'cuz they're awesome and his kit is totally cool....blah, blah, blah....."

Absolutely agree 100%.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
^ This.

Although I my bigger peeve is when someone posts a used piece of gear on ebay at a reasonable price, and then a bidding war breaks out and the end price is what it cost new.
Why doesn't this ever happen when I'm selling something on ebay? ;-)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Looking at clips of cymbal demonstrations where the guy's just blowin' chops and only playing the cymbal in one or two ways.

It ain't brain surgery to show each part of a cymbal's character... use the stick tip on the outer edge, the middle and the bell. Then a glancing blow, then light crash, then fully opened out ... then put each of those elements into some playing. Could be be done in a minute.

... mutter ... grumble ...
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

The biggest pet peeve is when the band does not understand dynamics, its just a freakin wall of sound.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 PM

I just realized I have 2 peeves.

THe first involves things like people selling PDP type drums and constantly try to get over the point that they are DW drums.

To my eyes they are a world apart- but its more the fact of trying to attach something of value to some beaten up dusty piece of crap in someone's garage.

The second thing is sharing a kit at a gig and having the understanding that you will use the other guys cymbals. You play your set with his crap B8 plates of metal and then when they go on he switches the chunks-o-crap out for his good cymbals.

Dont get my wrong- I'm fine with him protecting his cymbals- but if I had known he was going to give me sh#t to use- I would have just brought my good cymbals to use.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Just thought of another one:

Muso's who try tricky little timings here and there but don't seem to grasp the importance of getting it sorted out all the way. Then when I try to help nail it down with them, they just shrug and say, "That's a drummer thing, just do whatever you drummers do..." Arrrgh!

"No," I say, "these patterns are everyone's responsibility to know and understand and in order to keep this train on the tracks, you better get on board with whatever it is we decide and stick to it or it's going to jump the tracks when you least want it to."

I understand the tendency to pin the responsibility for time on the drummer (to some degree), but actual rhythmic phrasings, where time signatures are changing, can't be casually ignored by the other players. It's surprising how much I've run into this.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! Oops, I forgot to add ... apart from Andy, of course :)

I was thinking of all those YouTubes I've seen where the guys says "Hi, this is a [blah blah] cymbal available from [blah blah]. The guy will then use it in every way but the way I do it. Every ... single ... time.

Trust me, if you do a vid where you explore all the normal angles in a clear way you'll be a trailblazer :)

I saw a vid for hi hats where the guy spent 5 secs repeatedly smashing the bell of the top hat while the thing was open. Oh yeah, that's how everyone uses hi hats [sic].

How do we usually use hats? Most times it's with some variant on the money beat or a 6/8 ... quarter, eighth or 16th notes:

Ticking closed with tip of stick - add pshht pshhts (no idea what you call them)

Ticking closed with shaft of stick - add pshht pshhts (no idea what you call them)

Ticking loosely closed with shaft of stick - add pshht pshhts

Ticking loosely closed with shaft of stick - add pshht pshhts

Ticking open closed with shaft of stick

Ticking loosely closed with shaft of stick

Left foot accents while playing other stuff

It's brain surgery!