Is my leg position ok for the kick drum?

porky

When I play the kick drum with my feet perfectly aligned, it just feels harder to play.. So I wanna ask, is it a bad habit and i should change it or is it ok? Heres a photo of my leg position:

I tried my best to take a proper photo but the file size is just so big so i had to crop.

My leg is leaning towards the snare a little bit

Attachments

• AF580944-E818-4BC0-AA32-9BDABE345099.jpeg
    AF580944-E818-4BC0-AA32-9BDABE345099.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 273
That's perfectly fine - There's no reason to line your foot up with the footplate as long as you're comfortable.

You'll see fast kick players swivel their heel left an right constantly, or move their foot way back on the foot plate so that their heels aren't even over the pedal at all anymore. Anything goes.

If it really bothers you though, try angling your kick instead of your foot. If you point your kick drum to the right a little bit, you can keep your foot in the same position. But I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Here's a video I found of Virgil Donati showing some double bass stuff. Skip to 0:44 to see his feet - they're not even *close* to lining up with the pedals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl02PpedFks

I have started to play with toes offset left and heel offset right. It feels very comfortable, and my foot no longer slips off towards left like it used to do. I can move my body and throne further to right doing this, which is comfortable for me.

Get the foot out my face!
Get
the
foot
OUT ma FACE!

aaf_lol.gif

Back