DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Jeff Porcaro - MI interview from the 80s

Not sure if anyone has gotten a chance to see these, but I was cruising YouTube and I stumbled across this Musicians Institute (PIT) throwback video of Jeff Porcaro talking to a group of students from behind the drums. Talk about an education in how to be! It's about 45 minutes, but it's worth it. If you ever wanted to know what it's like to be THE studio guy, listen to Jeff. There's a reason who was who he was, and this captures it great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6tzbKsKKk

BTW - MI seems to have compiled these of a lot of artists that have come through their school. I just saw this one, but there's one from Billy Cobham, and other name artists. Very cool.

Watch and learn!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro - MI interview from the 80s

GIT alumnus here, and can tell you these sessions were awesome ! As the entire band would spend a good part of the day; after they have played their set for the room audience with a little Q&A, the members would break off into seperate rooms and we all got down to the real learning ...and some good laughs !
Old 03-24-2016, 03:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Any clue what year Jeff made this?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

It says recorded in 1986....so I'm guessing .....
Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

This is awesome. I stopped what I was doing and watched this all the way through.

It's rare that I find ANYONE that I agree with this much. I can't speak against anything on this. It's all true as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Especially his complaint about electronic drums...I've just completed reading Bill Bruford's autobiography and for those who are fans of Bruford looked askew when he began using Simmons drums which, in the end, Bruford lamented his endorsement of Simmons since they only worked 50 percent of the time. He recounts a nightmarish incident while on tour with Yes during their Union tour.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

When I was at MI way, way back, they had hundreds, of not thousands, of interviews and clinics on VHS in the library for students to watch.

I assume much of it has been converted to other media. I know they still have a library.

Interesting that they're releasing some it on to youtube.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

I watched the whole thing yesterday.

I really wonder how Jeff would fit into music today with the decline of the studio scene, home studios being more prominent, and so much music being based on machines, and/or making drummers sound machine perfect.

Or maybe he'd just tour with Toto and not give darn about the studio side. After all, he was already spending time producing and hiring other drummers right before his death.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I watched the whole thing yesterday.

I really wonder how Jeff would fit into music today with the decline of the studio scene, home studios being more prominent, and so much music being based on machines, and/or making drummers sound machine perfect.

Or maybe he'd just tour with Toto and not give darn about the studio side. After all, he was already spending time producing and hiring other drummers right before his death.
I imagine he'd probably be doing the same as Gadd and Vinny. Doing clinics and a few choice gigs with some big names. As well as some Toto goodness, wonder which direction they'd have gone in, his drumming on Kingdom of Desire is so good.

A Jeff clinic now that would be cool, love how he talks about players not being able to play with a group or a song and doing sessions without a click. The guys n gal in the wrecking crew say the same things.