which midlevel drumkit?

ronyd

Silver Member
Don't know if this is a loaded question, but with so many brands I thought I'd ask. I'm either thinking of :

1. PDP X7 series - for a 7 piece set, bang for buck, good reviews. hardware and symbols not included.

2. Mapex Meridian maple. 5 piece set, probably same pricing as above if you added 2 more pieces, very good reviews. hardware and symbols not included.

3. Yamaha Tour Custom - hardware is included.

What is the cost for hardware typically?
What brands have better resale values?

any thought are aprreciated...

Last edited:
I don't think "re-sale" value should even be considered. There are alot of people here and other places asking how much their kits would be worth if they decide to sell them. And regardless of what we discuss, the usual going rate for anything used (regardless of age) if it isn't considered vintage and historic would be something like less than 40% of what you spent for it. So you might as well consider keeping it because you'll take a bath on it either way.

With that said, you decide what do you really want that you could live with. All your choices are good. However, I'd consider both the Sonor 2007/3007 (if you can find them) or Tama's Imperialstar or Superstar lines. Those are both great intermediate kits, too. Or, if you already have some drums, work a little harder and find a good used pro kit somewhere - you get those really cheap from those people who don't yet realize they're gonna take a bath on what they get for the sale! Good luck!

So, the Yammies include hardware but no symbols? Man, I'm smellin' something fishy in there...

Fox.

So, the Yammies include hardware but no symbols? Man, I'm smellin' something fishy in there...

Fox.

ooops. there are 2 configs from guitarcenter. 5-piece Shell pack (no hardware) and then the fusion shell pack that has hardware. Guess depends on who you buy from and what they give you for a configuration

Don't know if this is a loaded question, but with so many brands I thought I'd ask. I'm either thinking of :

1. PDP X7 series - for a 7 piece set, bang for buck, good reviews. hardware and symbols not included.

2. Mapex Meridian maple. 5 piece set, probably same pricing as above if you added 2 more pieces, very good reviews. hardware and symbols not included.

3. Yamaha Tour Custom - hardware is included.

What is the cost for hardware typically?
What brands have better resale values?

any thought are aprreciated...
My experience with Mapex Meridian drums has been great!
BTW- it's spelled cymbal not symbol

ooops. there are 2 configs from guitarcenter. 5-piece Shell pack (no hardware) and then the fusion shell pack that has hardware. Guess depends on who you buy from and what they give you for a configuration

My experience with Mapex Meridian drums has been great!
BTW- it's spelled cymbal not symbol

That. I was just joking.

Seriously though, I'd go with either the Mapex or finding a Sonor Force 3007, which are probably going for quite cheap nowadays.

Fox.

well damn! i'm disappointed, i thought it said "which medieval drum kit?" i really wanted to see a medieval drum kit.... with spikes, and axes, a suit a armor, a real throne....

I would go for the Mapex Meridians.... I've played/ heard all and the Mapex just sound a notch better to me...

They're all maple and probably made in the smae factory but Mapex are simply awesome products not to mention at a great price point.

Good luck!

Enthusiasm, high! Ability to differentiate vowel grapheme-phoneme correspondences, low.

I'm always trying my best to review the brands made in the states. Any of them even come close to Mapex for pricing and workmanship, like Gretsch or Ludwig, etc?

Back