Remo Coated Snare Batter Head

Probably the most used snare batter head on earth is the Remo Coated Ambassador. I have been playing a coated Diplomat on top for years. But a friend of mine that realy is a pro. Says get that head the hell off of there. You will sound much better with the thicker Ambassador.. I am talking true coated heads no control center or anything else.

What do you guys think??

The Ambassador is a great head for the snare. Also the Ambassador X is 20% thicker and still a single ply head which sound great on my snares.

A coated Ambassador is still one of my all time favorite snare heads. I'm currently using a Vintage A, but a while back I slapped on a coated amb, and it felt like heaven and sounded pretty nice.

Well yeah.. not much to add.. For me it is:

1) Coated Ambassador
2) Coated Emperor (a little beefier, maybe more "rocker")

Then nowadays you have like ten million super-fancy-technological heads, and a lot of them are great, but actually nothing sounds like the classics.. Well, at least for me (I use an Emperor on the BD, so go figure).

Anyway, I second your buddy's opinion, go get an Ambassador, I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. And if you do, well, it's not that expensive, and you've got yourself a back-up head.

Cheers

I would try the new CSX head. It's like the Ambassador X and the Controlled Sound head combined, designed specifically for snare. Single ply 12 mil, with a 5" dot in the middle. Great if you want something a little heavier than the standard ambassador, plus a dot for added control, attack, and durability. It looks great and I will definitely be checking it out.

Personally, I love the Ambassador and Ambassador X. I hit hard enough that I'm not sure a Diplomat would last through a whole show without starting to sound dead. But if the Diplomat works for you, why change it?

This isn't a judgement call....it's simply what I'd do.

If I wanted to try a new head, I'd buy one and see what it sounded like for myself. Not because I think others are clueless or will steer me in the wrong direction.........but purely because others don't hear my drums, tuned to my liking, with my ears. They may love it, I may not. And there's only one way to figure out what I may or may not like.

For the cost of one head, it's a "test" that's worth undertaking IMHO.

This isn't a judgement call....it's simply what I'd do.

If I wanted to try a new head, I'd buy one and see what it sounded like for myself. Not because I think others are clueless or will steer me in the wrong direction.........but purely because others don't hear my drums, tuned to my liking, with my ears. They may love it, I may not. And there's only one way to figure out what I may or may not like.

For the cost of one head, it's a "test" that's worth undertaking IMHO.

Yes I agree here.

What I like to do is buy 5 heads at the same time, and compare, all at the same time. That way I can pick out my favorite and stick with that one. It costs a little more, but eventually I'll end up using all 5, so its not really a loss.

Won't hurt a thing to try it out. You can always go back to the Diplomat.

What kind of snare do you have?

I gig with a 1975 Rogers COB Dynasonic and that drum came with Diplomats from the factory and that is what I use. I tried a regular Ambassador but it just didn't sound the same as the Diplomat batter head. The snare is more sensitive with Diplomats, no doubt.

Now on all my other snares, I use regular, coated Ambassadors as they all sound great with that head. The exception is my Pearl 14x8 maple FF where I use a Remo coated Ambassador with a reverse dot.

Sure, try something else if you want to, but if a Diplomat works for you, and you like the sound, use it.
If you aren't denting them to crap, or going through them, WHY "get it the hell off there"?

Sure, try something else if you want to, but if a Diplomat works for you, and you like the sound, use it.
If you aren't denting them to crap, or going through them, WHY "get it the hell off there"?

Yeah, I think the only real issue with a coated diplomat, and why you don't see many of them mentioned as snare heads, is the fact that they are the thinnest of the Remo line and may not have the durability of ambassadors and others. I think after having played the diplomat for as long as you have, replacing a diplomat with a head that has a dot or some other kind of "extra" on it would probably not give you a sound and feel you like. As said here already, if you like the diplomat coated head, it's lasting long enough for you and feels good, why change? If you wanted to take that step to a slightly thicker head, the ambassador would be the perfect choice. They are great heads and chances are, you'll dig them.

Back