My Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive

notfuzzi

Don't make fun of me too much, I played for about two years in high school and then quit for ten years. Now at 29, I got back in to drumming about 6 months ago. I forgot how much I missed it, but now I have alot of time to make up.

Anyway, I'm definitely open to suggestions on an easier way to set them up. I know it's subjective about what feels right to you, but I'm still figuring it out. Anyway, on with the pics:

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

kitsch2.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

I hope these pics aren't too big to post, I'm slightly new here. Here's the specs:

Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (I think, bought it from a friend)
Snare - Remo Coated Emperor X batter, Ambassador Snare reso 6x13
Toms - Remo Black Pinstripe batter, Black Suede Ambassador reso 6.5 x 10, 7 x 12, 14x16
Bass Drum - Evans EMAD batter, Remo Ebony Powerstroke 3 reso 20x22

Cymbals
20" Sabian AA Medium Ride
18" Sabian Paragon Crash
17" Sabian AAX Dark Crash
16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
14" Zildjian New Beat Hi-Hats
10" Sabian HHX Splash
10" Sabian AA China Splash
14" Agazarian China

Hardware
Tama Iron Cobra Double Bass Pedal
Mix of Tama, Gibralter, Sound Percussion, and other stands.

I'm still trying to find the right sticks for me between Pro-Mark, Vater, and Vic Firth. I'm not feeling much of a difference between all their 5B's just yet.

I took a bunch of other pics, but you get the gist.

I think that set up looks great. You may want the two rack toms a bit closer, but as you say that is personal. Welcome to the site and back to drumming.

wow im so jealous of those drums. ive been drooling over a Superstar sl custom hyper-drive set-up for over a year. since i just turned 16 just over a month ago, no one wants to hire me, so no job... and im still only $900 away!

Nice kit, but who was going to make fun of you? Haha you idiot, you bought a well put together mid priced drum kit in a very classy timeless looking colour topped off with high quality nice sounding cymbals! Then you set it up in a very comfortable looking manner with NO great distance between the 2 toms, NO masses of muffling and NOTHING written or dented or marked on any of the drums or heads! How stupid could you get!?

I am of course, joking. No need to worry about people taking the mick out of you on here matey. That's not what we drummers do.

It's a nice kit/cymbals and a nice set up dude. Nothing to worry about here. I personally would have the toms flatter and closer together but thats me. Have you tried different setups like having your two toms more to the left of your kick for easier access to your ride?

It's a nice kit/cymbals and a nice set up dude. Nothing to worry about here. I personally would have the toms flatter and closer together but thats me. Have you tried different setups like having your two toms more to the left of your kick for easier access to your ride?

Thanks for the nice words guys, and yeah freebird, I have thought about that. I guess I'm a little worried if i do a tom fill down the drums that it'll be a long way to get to the floor tom, but I guess I won't know until I try it.

Right now I'm really mulling over about which snare I should go for. I have been reading all the snare threads here and I went to Guitar Center today to listen to them, but all the snares were tuned so horribly that I couldn't tell much of a difference. I guess I need to stop by Memphis Drum Shop.

I love 'em! Superstars are fine drums (got a set of regular-sized ones myself). I like your set-up, but if it were mine I'd move the two rack toms closer together so there's hardly any gap between them but other than that it looks fine. Good choice on cymbals too!

Thanks for the nice words guys, and yeah freebird, I have thought about that. I guess I'm a little worried if i do a tom fill down the drums that it'll be a long way to get to the floor tom, but I guess I won't know until I try it.

Right now I'm really mulling over about which snare I should go for. I have been reading all the snare threads here and I went to Guitar Center today to listen to them, but all the snares were tuned so horribly that I couldn't tell much of a difference. I guess I need to stop by Memphis Drum Shop.

That's exactly what i thought, it takes a bit of getting used to but now i have it just feels really intuitive and playing the ride is really comfy.

Here's a couple of the set in action. I hope to get some decent pics at our show tomorrow now that I have the vinyl sticker with the band name.

Nice pictures!!!! that bass drum must be a killer!!! and that agazarian china, does it have the same sound as Wuhan??? Really nice set and cymbals.. congrats.....

hello,

im considering buying this kit, what do u think to it?

calum

It's a great rock kit, I really have no complaints. I got it from a friend cheaper, but I would have surely bought this kit full price too.

Nice pictures!!!! that bass drum must be a killer!!! and that agazarian china, does it have the same sound as Wuhan??? Really nice set and cymbals.. congrats.....

Yeah, from what I hear they are the exact same cymbals from the same manufacturer. They have the same knob on them, and sound and look the same to me. Same inconsistency even. I kinda wish I had gotta a bigger one though.

Back