Doug Clifford’s 1969 CCR Drum Kit on Museum Display

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
SKF NOTE: The photo here shows Doug Clifford in concert in 1969. However, there are no details on the displayed drumset cited in this news report.

MIM opens unique drum history exhibit
BY MARK REMILLARD, * | November 14, 2014 @ 6:00 am
A unique exhibit looking into the history of drums debuts in Phoenix on Saturday.

clifford_doug.jpg

PHOENIX -- The Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix is opening up its Beyond the Beat exhibit and curator Cullen Strawn said he and his fellow curators at the museum are responsible for putting the entire exhibit together after about a year of work.

"The exhibit has more than 100 musical instruments and associated objects on display," he said. "About 75 percent of that has never been seen before at (the Musical Instrument Museum) because we continue to build and refine our collection."

....Strawn said visitors will see a history of percussion instruments unlike any other.

"It's all about drums from all over the world, the different ways they're made and played, different shapes and sizes, the different context in which they're used and the many meanings that they can have on people's lives," Strawn said.

Some of the instruments on display include contemporary drum kits, such as the 1969 drum kit used by Creedence Clearwater Revival drummer Doug Clifford....

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Thanks for that, Mr Fish!

I am a big fan of Clifford. CCR was my favorite band as a kid.

I always loved Clifford's drum sound.

As far as his cymbals are concerned, I really liked his cymbals on the first 2 CCR albums. They were Zildjians. I was not as impressed with his cymbal sound on the last 5 CCR albums. They were Paiste 602s. The fascinating thing about that is I'm a Paiste 602 freak. Normally I would prefer the 602s over any other line or brand. But for some reason, the Zildjians just sound better to me than his 602s on those albums. I always thought his 18" 602 hi-hats were too mushy and I would have preferred a smaller and brighter hi-hat. Not that anyone cares what I think. Just wanted to share. :)

Yeah, I'm going to see this exhibit as soon as I can.
I live 45 minutes from the museum !!

Thanks for that, Mr Fish!

I am a big fan of Clifford. CCR was my favorite band as a kid.

I always loved Clifford's drum sound.

As far as his cymbals are concerned, I really liked his cymbals on the first 2 CCR albums. They were Zildjians. I was not as impressed with his cymbal sound on the last 5 CCR albums. They were Paiste 602s. The fascinating thing about that is I'm a Paiste 602 freak. Normally I would prefer the 602s over any other line or brand. But for some reason, the Zildjians just sound better to me than his 602s on those albums. I always thought his 18" 602 hi-hats were too mushy and I would have preferred a smaller and brighter hi-hat. Not that anyone cares what I think. Just wanted to share. :)

Could be an artifact of the recording....mic placement, eq etc.

One can't assume what a drummer toured with or shows up in pics of the day, was what was used in studio. Clifford went to the 18 hihats mostly in the live setting - to compete with amplification, as he was at times not mic'ed.

Either way, he had a great drum sound.

Hey if you go please take a few pictures and post them. Thanks.

OK. Great idea !!

I won't be going until mid December.
The display will be there until mid June 2015.

Awww Yea, looks like there is presentation this Sat as well. I'm going this weekend if I can get the wife to go.

Thanks for sharing this Scott. I want to see that old trap kit too.

One can't assume what a drummer toured with or shows up in pics of the day, was what was used in studio. Clifford went to the 18 hihats mostly in the live setting - to compete with amplification, as he was at times not mic'ed.

Either way, he had a great drum sound.

Ah! True.

I do remember that he was asked in Modern Drummer several years ago the cymbals he used on CCRs records. He did not give specific sizes or models, but just that the first 2 records were Zildjians and then the rest were 602s.

Back