My (unknown) drum set.

All Styler

Well first off I would like to say "Yay, I'm a member of drummerworld now." Anyway, my kit was passed down by my father to me, I'm not sure of the year but I think its late 60's to late 70's. It is a Sonor drum set. Once again I'm not positive on the specs but I think its birch. Has a beautiful tone. I use Remo heads Zildjian cymbals and Zildjian sticks. I have a Sabian china but I don't use it because instead of being a trash china its a very heavy clang sounding one. (It's atrocious) Either way, not included in these pictures are my Tama Iron Cobra double kick pedals or my other cymbals. (at least 5-7 others not mounted currently)
Drumset002.jpg

And

Drumset001.jpg

Well first off I would like to say "Yay, I'm a member of drummerworld now." Anyway, my kit was passed down by my father to me, I'm not sure of the year but I think its late 60's to late 70's. It is a Sonor drum set.

Your father had good taste: this is without any doubts an excellent kit! A kit to cherish for life: Sonor are solid drums, German quality, and it is always nice to own a particular set that does not exactly sound like most others.

It seems to me that despite their relatively high price these Sonor were quite popular here in Europe during the eighties and the beginning of the nineties, and were particularly appreciated by jazz drummers. Nevertheless, they were also used in a lot of other musical situations.

I do not remember wether I played some of these sets (yes, I am quite old!), whereas I remember I played in a few occasions a similar snare, and I keep a very good souvenir.

Your father had good taste: this is without any doubts an excellent kit! A kit to cherish for life: Sonor are solid drums, German quality, and it is always nice to own a particular set that does not exactly sound like most others.

It seems to me that despite their relatively high price these Sonor were quite popular here in Europe during the eighties and the beginning of the nineties, and were particularly appreciated by jazz drummers. Nevertheless, they were also used in a lot of other musical situations.

I do not remember wether I played some of these sets (yes, I am quite old!), whereas I remember I played in a few occasions a similar snare, and I keep a very good souvenir.

Ah, thank you very much for your comment. On a side note upon furthur inspection of my drums I found a small worn out marking on it that said it was 9 ply beechwood which leads me to believe they are this model http://www.sonormuseum.com/geeks/fife/fife.html If so I'm proud to own an original. And yes, my father used these everywhere from gospel church music to blasting the toms keeping up with Zep. In fact other then the slight wearing on the wording the kit is in mint condition. The bass drum has a few slight scratches in the finish yet no loss of paint. And the rim heads are slightly pitted due to mis-handling. (It was the psycho-sixties give em a break xD)

Also I just wanted to mention, my cymbals are as follows (from what I can tell)
Ziljian 20" Heavy ride
Zildian ZHT 8" Rock splash/china (inverted)
Zildian 16" Crash/Ride
Zildian 10" Rock Splash (Inverted)
Zildian 14" ZHT Hi-hat
Zildian 14" Thin Crash

Nice. Very nice. Those are keepers, for sure.​
First, they were your dad's, which makes them priceless.​
Second, those were the drums that "basically" put Sonor on the map. The rest, as they say, is history.​

Cool stuff. So the shell is not wrapped? Re rings or straight shell? Thin, medium or thick shelled? I know pretty much nothing about Sonor. Or beechwood.

Back