Yamaha Oak Custom for jazz?

The Edge

I've found a good deal on a oak kit. I'm wondering if any of you have experience using these in s small jazz club setting? I know these drums are loud and punchy, but with the right touch could work very well. Any input would be appreciates. Thanks!

I don't see why not. A lot depends on that mix of feel, touch, how hard you're used to playing your drums, what your tuning preferences are, etc..

I played a Yamaha Oak Custom a few years ago at a jam night. It was tuned medium to low with clear emps and it wasn't what I would call a subtle drum sound. It was a Rock and Blues night so I did not get a chance to play it quietly.

Can you play these drums before you buy them? I'll bet you that with a little tighter tuning and a nice touch, they would have a nice tone.

The guy that owned the kit, when I asked them how they sounded said, "Take your maple drums down in your unfinished basement with concrete walls and that's how they sound". He was joking around about how loud they can be from what you're used to.

Edge.. check this out. it might help you out about this kit. Notice the way he has those shells cranked up at the very END of the video.

Yamaha Oak

Well there you go. If Peter Erskine can do it, it can be done. ;-)

I found them to be a bit "quieter" when I switched to Emperors from Ambassadors. I like to tune them a bit high, not quite as high as Peter Ersine in the vid...maybe medium highish.
Also if you're playing jazz in a club these drums are not going to be any louder than a maple - been there.
about the Oak bass drum though...
I play the 20" Bass drum and I put a small pillow in there for those occasions. If you're getting the 18" bass drum it's pretty loud compared to other 18s so a pillow might be in order...

How would you guys describe the sound of the Oaks? Warm, round, punchy, etc? It's been a long time since I've played them. I remember enjoying them and it was a positive experience playing them.

I've got an 18", 10", 14" setup. I use them for jazz and "not-jazz". They project well. They are very sensitive to tuning, but hold a note very well through gigs and temp changes (as all decent drums these days do). I would consider them punchy, but I tune my toms mid-high, and the bass is pretty punchy even when tuned down. I would certainly compare them to any other high-end Yamaha drums in terms of sound and quality of construction.

They are THE kits for the well renown North Sea Jazz Festival.

I have a setup with 18'' kick (and 8, 10, 12, 14, 15 toms) and before this kit I had a 20'' kick setup with 10, 12, 14, 16 toms) so I keep coming back, I find them warm, projective if needed and full of tone which gives you a broad array of tuning options.

I played an Oak Custom kit at a festival, too. Kinda funny. Except witness in California. How would you compare the Oak bass drum to a maple or birch bass drum?

I found them to be a bit "quieter" when I switched to Emperors from Ambassadors. I like to tune them a bit high, not quite as high as Peter Ersine in the vid...maybe medium highish.
Also if you're playing jazz in a club these drums are not going to be any louder than a maple - been there.
about the Oak bass drum though...
I play the 20" Bass drum and I put a small pillow in there for those occasions. If you're getting the 18" bass drum it's pretty loud compared to other 18s so a pillow might be in order...

Interesting. Thanks, Bigfoot.

You guys will have to excuse me but I'm failing to get the logic of the 'correct' type of wood to be used to play jazz. They're drums, you tune 'em up and play 'em. I think you're head choices are going to make a bigger difference than what type of wood it's made out of. The way you tune, the way you play, all that has more bearing than what the kit is made out of. Besides, after the sound guy gets done miking you up, it'll sound completely different anyway. That vintage sound we all hear on the recordings are just snapshots of where the masters were at the time they made the recording. If you were to go into a club that was crowded or an empty hall, I doubt anyone will be able to notice. Ask people what they hear, they'll say "drums", and whether or not it's 'good' or 'bad'. No one will make the excuse that they don't sound right because they're oak, or that you 'should've gotten a maple kit'. If you're playing is incredible, you could be playing a Sponge Bob toy kit and no one would care, right?

I played the Yamaha Oak Customs in a store once and loved it. I could very well have gotten that kit and used it for everything I do, but the word 'Bubinga' sounded cooler so I went that way. They both sound similar, just more syllables with 'bubinga'. But I've played them all: maple, birch, mystery woods, and now birch/bubinga, and I've never had a problem with making any of them work for whatever I was doing. So what's the big deal? Go get them, use them on a gig and report back. I'm betting you'll love them.

Yamaha Oak's have a reputation for being loud. Jazz has a reputation, in smaller clubs, for being not so loud.

I think it's more like Oak's have the capability of being loud, but they don't necessarily have to be played that way.
Head choice, tuning, stick/brush choice, and most of all - technique, will all come into play.

For the OP - what sizes are the ones you're looking at?

Yamaha Oak's have a reputation for being loud. Jazz has a reputation, in smaller clubs, for being not so loud.

I think it's more like Oak's have the capability of being loud, but they don't necessarily have to be played that way.
Head choice, tuning, stick/brush choice, and most of all - technique, will all come into play.

So maple and birch don't have the capability to be loud? Really?

blah blah blah. Tuning and heads make a difference, as do bearing edges, stick sizes, technique, wood, wood thickness etc. People keep saying wood type is the least common denominator, maybe so, I doubt it though, I think wood has something to do with it for sure, I can only speak from drums I've owned but even when using the same heads, tuning, sticks and technique ( same guy playing them ME) some kits just had a different sound. Some I liked more than others, soooooo oaks sound good , they're high qulaity drums, if they're in the right sizes I'm sure you will be able to find a way to tune them to make them sound great for any style you want to play.

As far as how they sound out front, it is true a soundman can make a great drum sound shitty, and a shity soundig drum sound at least decent, but the most important thing is that you like how they sound and that you are inspired by the sound to play better. Period.
PC

With oak and maple kits side by side, I truly believe the oak kit is a bit louder when played with the same discipline as the maple drums, I've said this time and time again. There's even a bigger difference if they are compared to acrylic drums. I find both oak shells and acrylic shells a bit too harsh for my taste and wouldn't own either one, especially for a genre of predominantly jazz. I've used my full bubinga drums for venues that included jazz, but I much rather hear jazz being played on something with more subtlety. Sure the drums have no idea of the style of music being played, but my ears sure do.

Dennis

Exactly, Wild Bill. I wasn't looking for a lecture from Bo. Ha.

The sizes are 15x18 kick, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14 toms. No snare drum.

With oak and maple kits side by side, I truly believe the oak kit is a bit louder when played with the same discipline as the maple drums, I've said this time and time again. There's even a bigger difference if they are compared to acrylic drums. I find both oak shells and acrylic shells a bit too harsh for my taste and wouldn't own either one, especially for a genre of predominantly jazz. I've used my full bubinga drums for venues that included jazz, but I much rather hear jazz being played on something with more subtlety. Sure the drums have no idea of the style of music being played, but my ears sure do.

Dennis

Good input, Dennis. Thanks.

....The sizes are 15x18 kick, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14 toms. No snare drum.

Would you be looking to set them all up, and go as a 5 piece, or use it as a 4 piece? Just curious.

I'm also wondering if it'd be possible for you to hear them first. Or if not those specific drums, maybe a store near you has some you could hear.
They're really nice drums, and if you've found a good deal on them, I'll bet you could make them work just fine for you.

Back