My Buddy's 1985, 86 Tama Superstar Kit

S

sticks4drums

My buddy finally got around to setting up his beautiful Superstar kit from his rockstar days, back in the 80's. He had all the bearing edges re-cut, and had the power toms shortened.

Image1.jpg

Image.jpg

Image2.jpg

That's a really nice looking kit, is that a cherry red finish? What are the sizes? My guess is 24" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 13", 14" & 15" toms, 16" & 18" floors and 14"x6.5" snare. :)

That's a really nice looking kit, is that a cherry red finish? What are the sizes? My guess is 24" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 13", 14" & 15" toms, 16" & 18" floors and 14"x6.5" snare. :)
You got it. Can you tell him and I are friends. :) Guess who his favourite drummer is?

WOW i have a 1990 Tama rockstar (5 pieces, i"ll post some picture later), and that's exactly what i wanna do with it. Shortened my power toms and recut de bearing edges. But i have a question. Do you think it's possible to cut the toms to hyperdrive size?? Would they still sound good?? Are they thick or thin enough to be cut that size??

WOW i have a 1990 Tama rockstar (5 pieces, i"ll post some picture later), and that's exactly what i wanna do with it. Shortened my power toms and recut de bearing edges. But i have a question. Do you think it's possible to cut the toms to hyperdrive size?? Would they still sound good?? Are they thick or thin enough to be cut that size??
I think the shortness would depend on the size of your lugs, and how much room you have in-between them vertically.

I'm not 7' tall and I had a 14" power tom over a 24" kick :))
Crazy man, crazy. Love the hair. I know. Many used to do it. I would be hitting my sticks into the front edge of the toms all the time. It was a better work out I guess. :)

One of the cleanest Superstar kits I've seen of that era. They made standard size Superstars but I don't think they were too common back then. The power size toms are way too big IMO. What's your friend's address, I'd like to send him a congratulatory note on such a fine kit ;)

One of the cleanest Superstar kits I've seen of that era. They made standard size Superstars but I don't think they were too common back then. The power size toms are way too big IMO. What's your friend's address, I'd like to send him a congratulatory note on such a fine kit ;)
He reads this site all the time. He will appreciate the kind comments. NO, you can't steal it. :) He just recently bought his Bubinga Elite kit, so he has the best from a couple of Tama era's. He also has a Star kit that he just refinished.

I don't remember if i posted them here before, if so i'm sorry. So here's mine with me playing it... :O. I used my 13 inch tom as a floor tom. I can't get rid of it. First kit i bought with my own money. Don't play it anymore so i took (lend it??) to my school. That way the students can beat on something decent.

Sticks i think you are right, there is not enough space between the lugs to cut them to hyperdrive sizes. Damn! By the way do you (or your friend) have pictures of his restore Star kit?? I'd like to get some ideas! Did he rewrapped it?

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

I love vintage Superstars, and this one looks just plain amazing.

Now your buddy needs to get a pair of white "TAMA Superstar" logos for his bass drums (and IMO remove the remo and evans from the heads to make them even). It's amazing what a huge difference a little logo on the bass makes on the whole kit's appearance.

Actually, those logos are a pretty good present for a friend.... ;)

Cheers.

I love vintage Superstars, and this one looks just plain amazing.

Now your buddy needs to get a pair of white "TAMA Superstar" logos for his bass drums (and IMO remove the remo and evans from the heads to make them even). It's amazing what a huge difference a little logo on the bass makes on the whole kit's appearance.

Actually, those logos are a pretty good present for a friend.... ;)

Cheers.
Don't worry. My buddy is as anal as I am. He has another Black PS3 coming to match the other one, and he already has the white stickers to go on. You will also notice that he has his bass head rings taped like his good buddy Sticks. :)

Don't worry. My buddy is as anal as I am. He has another Black PS3 coming to match the other one, and he already has the white stickers to go on. You will also notice that he has his bass head rings taped like his good buddy Sticks. :)

Hahahaha, no, I didn't notice that, but now I do. Nice detail.

Now... I see he uses Evans heads on his toms.... Doesn't that bother you?? :p

Cheers!!

I'm not 7' tall and I had a 14" power tom over a 24" kick :))
Henri, what a fantasic picture, & a very cool looking kit. Those power toms are just perfect for the set.

Glen, I like the Tama too, but I have doubts about your "friend". Same style of setup, same drummer hero, both anal, same tape application, hmmmmm, does he sit on your shoulder and offer guidance?

Back