Buying My First Double Kick Pedal

Tomage

Hey everyone, Im ready to buy my first double kick, but im pretty clueless as to what I want.. or prices of what I want. Im going to buy a good one straight up so I dont have to spend alot of money again down the track on a new one. Could you guys give me an idea of some top of the range double kick pedals and there prices please.. ..=D

The fundamental choices are all $300-$350ish new. DW5000, Tama Iron Cobra, Pearl Eliminators, Yamaha Flying Dragon. They are mostly variations on the Camco design, and generally have silly names. If you can play one or more at a store, do so. Ask a clerk to show you how they adjust, bang away for a few minutes. Don't be a tool, go when they're not busy, and be prepared to buy: don't waste two hours of the guy's time and then toddle off to the Intarwebz.

Alternately, buy a set used, whatever shows up in good condition for $200 on CL or eBay. Get used to them. They all do mostly the same thing, adjust until you're fairly happy, and you'll learn the pedal.

Don't go cheaper, you'll regret it in time. You use your kick pedal(s) more than anything else but your throne and sticks. Alternatively, I don't see a huge advantage in the uber-spensive DW9000, Trick and Axis pedals (I have an Axis single. It's nice, but I got it used for $90). They're smoother, and will adjust a touch lighter, but I don't like the light-as-it-can-get thing anyway. I'd kind of like the smooth machined surface of the snazzy pedals, but I may just cut out some aluminum plates, and screw them onto my IC's. Same difference, for $200less.

The fundamental choices are all $300-$350ish new. DW5000, Tama Iron Cobra, Pearl Eliminators, Yamaha Flying Dragon. They are mostly variations on the Camco design, and generally have silly names. If you can play one or more at a store, do so. Ask a clerk to show you how they adjust, bang away for a few minutes. Don't be a tool, go when they're not busy, and be prepared to buy: don't waste two hours of the guy's time and then toddle off to the Intarwebz.

Alternately, buy a set used, whatever shows up in good condition for $200 on CL or eBay. Get used to them. They all do mostly the same thing, adjust until you're fairly happy, and you'll learn the pedal.

Don't go cheaper, you'll regret it in time. You use your kick pedal(s) more than anything else but your throne and sticks. Alternatively, I don't see a huge advantage in the uber-spensive DW9000, Trick and Axis pedals (I have an Axis single. It's nice, but I got it used for $90). They're smoother, and will adjust a touch lighter, but I don't like the light-as-it-can-get thing anyway. I'd kind of like the smooth machined surface of the snazzy pedals, but I may just cut out some aluminum plates, and screw them onto my IC's. Same difference, for $200less.

adjustments, machining and design. I know the 9000 (not sure if Trick and Axis are the same)has infinite adjustments on it that other pedals do not that allow you to truly fine tune it to your playing style. I switched from a 5000 to the 9000 and there is a huge difference in the feel of the pedals!

Oh they're different, and for the reasons you say. I maintain that if you learn on a mid-level pro pedal, your technique will adapt to the pedal, eliminating the need for micro-redundant adjustments.

Hey everyone, Im ready to buy my first double kick, but im pretty clueless as to what I want.. or prices of what I want. Im going to buy a good one straight up so I dont have to spend alot of money again down the track on a new one. Could you guys give me an idea of some top of the range double kick pedals and there prices please.. ..=D

Top of the range
Sonor Giant Step $820
Trick Pro 1v2 detonator Bigfoot $739
Pearl Demon drive $689 available 4/09
Axis AL-2 $550
DW 9000 $468
Sleishman double pedal $450

I'll list off all the brands and models I know of:

$100

- PDP 402

$100-$200

- Pearl P122 TW
- DW 4002
- Tama Iron Cobra Jr.
- Gibraltar Prowler OR Avenger

$200-$300

- DW 7002
-Gibraltar Intruder

$300-$400

- DW 5002 Accelerator/Turbo
-Tama Iron Cobra
- Pearl Eliminator
- Yamaha Flying Dragon

$400-$600

-Axis X / Axis X Longboards
-Axis A / Axis A Longboards
-Trick Dominator
- DW 8002
- DW 9002

$600+

-Trick Pro-1V Detonator (Regular or Bigfoot)
-Sonor Giant Step
-Duallist Triple Kick

I got my first double pedal on Craigslist. Gibraltar Intruder for 80 canadian bux, and am replacing it with a NEW DW 5002 AD3 for 300 Canadian BUX also from Craigslist...

Its really subjective on whats "good or great" you gotta find your own flavor...

I love used gear tho...

go for the eliminator and if you dont like it you can swap it for my biig dog 1 :p

it has blue foot plates

Go with the Eliminators.....So much adjustment its like getting different pedals all in one....from the cams, to the powershifter foot boards, they are the nicest ones I played in that price range......If you want to save a few bucks you can opt for the lower model (122TW, or 1002C) but not have the interchangeable cams and a single chain, its pretty significant savings.....And if you also look in Canada, pedals are alot cheaper here right now (I paid $395 cdn for P2002C's) which is $306USD

Back