Elvin Jones

Superlow

Pioneer Member
Maybe it's wrong to post the obvious choices, but I gotta post my personal favorite of all time. Elvin of course. For all of you who haven't picked up John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, you might find a new love with jazz and jazz drumming. His work with Wayne Shorter and McCoy tyner is also quite wonderful. Not to mention his later solo work. His live performance at the Blue entitled the Truth is quite an amzing record.

Re: The Almighty Elvin Jones

He's amazing. Even when he plays simple, it's still just stunning.

Go find the track "Alabama" from "Live At Birdland". Wow. Mid-tempo time playing, mostly ride cymbal... but still an amazing and memorable piece of drumming. It has swing coming out of its eyeballs.

I must admit not being a huge fan of his soloing on A Love Supreme though.

Besides John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, what other albums are considered his best ???
What are your favourites from him ?

I love all of his live stuff with Coltrane. "Spiritual" is a GREAT tune. "Afro Blue" and "My Favorite Things" too. He is SO intense during Afro blue from Live at the Birdland. It's one of my favorite songs ever. That and "Spirtual" really got me into Elvin.

words cannot begin to describe the amazingness of elvin jones (especially at 3 AM). i saw him play just a few months before he passed away, and it was the greatest gift i could have ever asked for. i love his playing, it's so powerful and it feels like nothing else.

another track worth checking out is wayne shorter's "deluge" off of juju (in fact, check out the whole album while you're at it). not only is elvin's playing phenominal, but so is wayne's. his solo is immensely powerful, helped hugely by elvin's work.

CarterB_Junkie said:
Besides John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, what other albums are considered his best ???
What are your favourites from him ?

I think his self titleted Jazz Machine record is one of his Best also. He plays with a pretty sick cast of musicians including Nicolas Payton and Joshua Redman. I would deinitely agree that JuJu is one his better recordings with Wayne Shorter, however Shorter sounds so much like Coltrane on that record that it kind of bothers me. If you heard it you might not be able to discern it from a Coltrane record. The real McCoy with none other than McCoy Tyner is a great record as well.

I adore Elvin.
I love his work with Ray Brown. Amazing drummer.

i <3 elvin

i havent checked out the mclaughlin record nor heard of it but i will now
hes pretty pimpin on the larry young cd "unity" tho
and i like elvins solo on a love supreme
its ill

man, elvin came to play drums and created a whole new style of his own! the man's a genius.... gotta love all his work!

When I get good enough at jazz I'm making a hundred of those "Jazz Machine" t-shirts for when I gig!

I'm sure there have been alot of these on the Drummers forum, but he deserves it. Probably one of the most humble and happy people that I've ever seen. Not only is he unbelievable but he makes you smile when you see him. I think more people should know who Elvin is and how much he influenced jazz. Anyways what's your favourite song with Elvin playing at the moment? Mine would have to be My Favourite Things by Coltrane. Great song. Just started this to honor a legend.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find the picture Promark did of the empty music stationary that says "A moment of silence for Elvin Jones, 1927 - 2004" at the bottom? It was in Modern Drummer a while ago. I need it because I'm putting it on a shirt but I don't have a scanner. Thanks.

Yeah, Elvin is just legendary. My favourite is Resolution of A Love Surpreme... The melodies, the solos, it's so super intense playing I just can't imagine what was going on inside those guys. I was just getting into jazz when he passed away, it's a shame I'll never have the opportunity to experience someone like him live (just like Tony Williams and Max Roach...).

Really, if you want to find out the 'spark' which makes jazz so interesting, you have to listen to Elvin a LOT.

OceanDirt said:
words cannot begin to describe the amazingness of elvin jones (especially at 3 AM). i saw him play just a few months before he passed away, and it was the greatest gift i could have ever asked for. i love his playing, it's so powerful and it feels like nothing else.

another track worth checking out is wayne shorter's "deluge" off of juju (in fact, check out the whole album while you're at it). not only is elvin's playing phenominal, but so is wayne's. his solo is immensely powerful, helped hugely by elvin's work.

amazing song! elvins playing give a very positive powerful feeling when i hear it.

Right now Im really diggin this cd by Joe Lovano Trio Fascination with Elvin and Dave Holland. any avid Elvin fans should check this out. Its Heavy Heavy stuff.

fly said:
Right now Im really diggin this cd by Joe Lovano Trio Fascination with Elvin and Dave Holland. any avid Elvin fans should check this out. Its Heavy Heavy stuff.
I just got this last week. I'll add that everyone needs this in their life. It's really, really good. Even on terms of Elvin good... what a phenomenal drummer. I need to relisten to After the Rain again.

Elvin Jones' drumming is so free and dynamic - at least on his works with Coltrane. He can squeeze in so much in a short period of time, while still keeping going the rythm. His drummng also fits well with the rest of the Quartet and can be very atmospheric - just listen to his playing in Attaining

Just purchased Art Pepper Encounter on CD. The reproduction quality is pretty good. You can here all the phrasing. Nice work by the Machine.

Back