DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:09 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Doing what comes naturally

I have a 12.5 YO stepson. 7th grade. He's getting some pretty good attention for his drum playing. He plays in the regular middle school band, they invited him to play jazz band, (an honor) and he does bucket drumming on his own time. He's really doing well. He even won the one award his band teacher gives out. (Out of about 40 kids)

I give him lessons when things line up. Last night he came up with a really cool hi hat thing all on his own. It had a nice backbeat. Wanting to get it to groove more, I said to him, if your hi hat and snare are at arbitrary number 5 in volume, I want you to keep the hi hat volume at 5, but up the snare volume to 10.

What I witnessed next is that he basically invented Moeller for himself with not even a mention of it from me. I'm pretty sure he never even heard the term. It was really cool to see him raise his wrist and whip the stick. I told him that all the other musicians, and the audience, need to hear a nice prominent snare hit. I've been suggesting this to him for a while now. It's really cool to see his natural progression. The Moeller thing came totally intuitively for him.

Very cool.

Having a real human to program drum with is so cool. I can hatch my evil plan through him MU HAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAA!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Doing what comes naturally

this is the very reason I refuse to call it "Moeller" when I teach it

because this whipping motion ... like every other natural drumming motion that people attach name brands to ... will absolutely happen on its own over time if one is dedicated to playing

this very thing happened to me ... and it happens to my students all the time

I had been playing along to records before going to my first teacher ... and my brother had shown me a few drum beats he knew ...

at my very first lesson the teacher asked me two questions after asking me to play for him ...

who taught you "moeller" ?
and who taught you "slide" ?

I had no idea what he was talking about

I understand using nomenclature for universally understanding what we may be discussing ... but crediting one man with something that we would all do naturally anyway is a bit like calling walking "the uncle Larry strut"

granted Sanford Moeller saw snare drummers using the technique and was probably the first to break down the motion for curriculum ... but I'll still never use the word "Moeller" in my teaching because it came to me naturally as it would anyone and the name meant nothing to me

good for your stepson ... keep nurturing his playing ... you are a good man uncle L
Old 06-13-2018, 07:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post

because this whipping motion ... like every other natural drumming motion that people attach name brands to ... will absolutely happen on its own over time if one is dedicated to playing

I had been playing along to records before going to my first teacher ... and my brother had shown me a few drum beats he knew ...

at my very first lesson the teacher asked me two questions after asking me to play for him ...

I understand using nomenclature for universally understanding what we may be discussing ... but crediting one man with something that we would all do naturally anyway is a bit like calling walking "the uncle Larry strut"

granted Sanford Moeller saw snare drummers using the technique and was probably the first to break down the motion for curriculum ... but I'll still never use the word "Moeller" in my teaching because it came to me naturally as it would anyone and the name meant nothing to me

good for your stepson ... keep nurturing his playing ... you are a good man uncle L
Thanks Tony. I was hoping you responded. I had a feeling you would know exactly what I was talking about, seeing the dots connect in kids. Kids are great. You're right, it comes natural. Watching that was better than any movie.

It's so cool for me to just observe the process in a young kid. It's all really unexpected, his love for drums. I did not push him at all. He practices by himself on his own volition. He reads. He picks up quick. It's a total surprise to me and a great opportunity for me to guide him, perhaps cultivate some teaching chops in the process.

What a treat for both of us.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Funny, I just mentioned something very similar to this in a foot thread. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that after a while technique just happens, and the fact you mention this Tony? confirms it for me even more. The body will figure it out eventually.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Tonight I'm going to sit down and figure out proper form for the "Uncle Larry Strut". Then I'm going to write books and do utube videos of it and see if we can get this to catch on.

I too am SOOOOO tired of hearing the fucking name "moeller".

Let's call it the Devo stroke. Whip it good.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

My back tooth is killing me...
Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I agree 100% with WhoIsTony.
I've been "Moellering" for at least 60 years.
Although I had a great teacher, showing me how to practice on a pillow, when I first started playing.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Tonight I'm going to sit down and figure out proper form for the "Uncle Larry Strut". Then I'm going to write books and do utube videos of it and see if we can get this to catch on.

Just think George Jefferson when you walk.

Movin on up.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
So true! I'm a terribly unschooled drummer, but I've been doing it for quite a while now - and that whipping of the snare drum is what's gotten me all the gigs I currently have. All before I ever took a lesson.

Took my first lesson a few weeks ago; when my teacher demonstrated the Moeller technique, I was quiet, but thinking to myself: 'Wait a minute, I've been doing that for YEARS!'

Good to get some affirmation from WhoIsTony, a guy who certainly knows what he's talking about.