Boso Drum Sticks

I have about 6-8 pairs in various models...writing a critique and review on them soon. If you'd like information to contact them let me know.

Thanks!

Karl

I have about 6-8 pairs in various models...writing a critique and review on them soon. If you'd like information to contact them let me know.

Thanks!

Karl

I have their contact info, but I'd really like to hear your review.

I'll put something together soon--waiting on their Marching Model to arrive at my door.

Thanks for the interest guys! I'm supporting them with a lot of effort, helping the company grow!

Karl

There are no dealers near me and to order two pair with shipping was going to cost almost 40.00. I need to know more before I spend that much.

$40??!!

Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with hickory. If I were one of those ham-fisted gorillas that breaks heads/cymbal/sticks all the time then I think I'd be too cheap to play the drums.

I picked up three pairs of Boso Natural 7A, though I'm sure almost all of you guys will prefer the Strata models because they are weighted to feel like hickory sticks.

http://www.bosodrumsticks.com/collections/7a/products/boso-natural-7a

So the below review refers only to the Naturals - all bamboo and lighter and tougher than you'd believe. You might have to wait for Karl's review to find out about the Stratas ....

The Naturals are the lightest sticks I've tried, even lighter than the excellent Billy Stewart signature Zildjian 7As that were the lightest I'd found in shops in the past (alas, impossible to get these days, its seems). The bamboos are even lighter than Vic Firth Kid Sticks!

So they take getting used to - much less bounce response, like timbale sticks. I did a sound test with the guys in the band comparing the sound on my ride with Firth American Jazz AJ2 hickory sticks (which I like a great deal). I was expecting them to go for the depth and richness of AJ2s but they liked the toppier clarity of the bamboo.

Bamboo is amazing wood. Apart from being a sustainable crop it's incredibly hard and tough. I recently got bamboo floor and it's harder wearing than anything. So the sticks are weirdly tough given how light and fragile they feel. I gave them a hard workout during a jam at the end of last week's rehearsal (attached brief rough sound clip to show that I was caning it on my Rhythm Traveler far more than usual).

If you are transitioning from rock to lighter forms and struggling with volume, these sticks will help a great deal if you can get used to the different bounce response of ultra light sticks. Recommend quality time on the pad.

It's too early to know how the bead will wear but I'm guessing they will stay hard longer than usual.

Attachments

• Boso example.mp3
    212.4 KB · Views: 187
$40??!!

Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with hickory. If I were one of those ham-fisted gorillas that breaks heads/cymbal/sticks all the time then I think I'd be too cheap to play the drums.

Regular sticks in Oz from the shop (if you can find one these days) tend to be over $20 so the Bosos were a bargain for me.

I picked up three pairs of Boso Natural 7A, though I'm sure almost all of you guys will prefer the Strata models because they are weighted to feel like hickory sticks.

http://www.bosodrumsticks.com/collections/7a/products/boso-natural-7a

So the below review refers only to the Naturals - all bamboo and lighter and tougher than you'd believe. You might have to wait for Karl's review to find out about the Stratas ....

The Naturals are the lightest sticks I've tried, even lighter than the excellent Billy Stewart signature Zildjian 7As that were the lightest I'd found in shops in the past (alas, impossible to get these days, its seems). The bamboos are even lighter than Vic Firth Kid Sticks!

So they take getting used to - much less bounce response, like timbale sticks. I did a sound test with the guys in the band comparing the sound on my ride with Firth American Jazz AJ2 hickory sticks (which I like a great deal). I was expecting them to go for the depth and richness of AJ2s but they liked the toppier clarity of the bamboo.

Bamboo is amazing wood. Apart from being a sustainable crop it's incredibly hard and tough. I recently got bamboo floor and it's harder wearing than anything. So the sticks are weirdly tough given how light and fragile they feel. I gave them a hard workout during a jam at the end of last week's rehearsal (attached brief rough sound clip to show that I was caning it on my Rhythm Traveler far more than usual).

If you are transitioning from rock to lighter forms and struggling with volume, these sticks will help a great deal if you can get used to the different bounce response of ultra light sticks. Recommend quality time on the pad.

It's too early to know how the bead will wear but I'm guessing they will stay hard longer than usual.

Sounds promising. I guess you could take any sticks you wear out and make more floor with them. :)

Sounds promising. I guess you could take any sticks you wear out and make more floor with them. :)

Ha - or start working my way up the walls ...

I'm getting more used to the reduced bounce. I think some of you guys would do well with the heavier Boso Strata sticks because bamboo wears so well, and they seem to be nicely made sticks.

I'll put something together soon--waiting on their Marching Model to arrive at my door.

Thanks for the interest guys! I'm supporting them with a lot of effort, helping the company grow!

Karl

I'm still waiting for my marching sticks but I haven't heard anything from the CEO of Boso. Weird.

If you click on any ad you will forever get ads on every page you open . Be warned.

I received the marching sticks and they freaking fly! I'm starting to believe the major advantage of going "bamboo" is being able to use larger sticks that are easy to maneuver.

Playing loud using 5a's or thinner causes the drummer to squeeze to hard, mainly with the thumb, index and middle finger. The marching sticks felt great in my hands. Check this youtube video for a quick pad demonstration.

http://youtu.be/nHoCJBkz8Vk

Karl

Here's a clip of me trying them (Boso Marching Natural Bamboo) out on a DW smart kit. A lot of fun.

http://youtu.be/xOsy2wmf8VM

Included is my self-deprecating humor that I usually do for blogs. Hope you enjoy the vid guys.

Karl

yyyIt seems like these are very similar to Cooperman drumsticks. They are primarily for marching and concert percussion and I saw why when I tried them on kit- the persimmon has a really quite nasty tone on cymbals. They are very light & have a lot of control but I don't think they worked as well on set. Of course, bamboo could give a totally different tone, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
No way on this planet I will buy these....

Bamboo is cheaper than hickory big time.

Sticks are made in China.

And they still want 14 bucks for it? Seriously?

I am gonna STICK with my american made hickories for a better price.

Back