If you guys like round-headed sticks...

You should check out ProMark Pro-Round 5Bs. They are nice. In my experience the Vic Firths snap pretty easy, and the Zildjian Travis Barkers get friggin' paint all over your cymbals. The ProMarks are natural finish and are more durable than Vic Firths.

Just fyi.

This is one area where I am an idiot. Having always used acorn wood tips, whats different sound wise about a rounded tip? What about drumhead durability with acorn vs round?
Thanks

A little warning: if you're a hard-hitter the round-tip sticks will make short work of your heads. Even if you don't see dents, when you take the head off you'll find it dished after a short time.

If you hit hard, I find that the oval Promark tips are easy on heads and sound good on cymbals, too.

A little warning: if you're a hard-hitter the round-tip sticks will make short work of your heads. Even if you don't see dents, when you take the head off you'll find it dished after a short time.

If you hit hard, I find that the oval Promark tips are easy on heads and sound good on cymbals, too.

Thanks, I had a hunch the round tips would be harder on the heads. Been a Vater 5B guy for a long time. I'll stick with 'em.

Here's the 411 on sticks:

Diameter doesn't matter much other than feel in your hand and is a preference thing. Same with length.

Taper affects how quickly the sticks rebound. Short taper rebounds quicker.

Nylon rebounds slightly faster and sounds more brilliant/pingy on cymbals.

Round heads rebound more quickly than oval heads and have more projection, but, as has been noted, can damage thinner heads if you hit heavy (so you pretty much have to have a double ply head for these).

Wood type doesn't matter much but will affect weight/density of the stick.

Diameter doesn't matter much other than feel in your hand and is a preference thing. Same with length.

Round heads rebound more quickly than oval heads and have more projection, but, as has been noted, can damage thinner heads if you hit heavy (so you pretty much have to have a double ply head for these).

I think length does have some impact on playing. A 17" stick is going to be slower/more powerful than a 15" stick which would have more speed. Wood type does affect sticks.
Strength: Oak>Hickory>Maple. Also, the stronger the stick, the more vibration is transferred to your hand. That means for fatigue. I think its a solid trade-off.

i get discount on silverfox from my dealer, so i normally just have a random selection of them. round/pear shaped doesn't really seem to matter too much, my heads are in pretty good condition, plus i usually end up replacing the heads on my acoustic every 4 weeks or so anyway.

When you say diameter, length and wood type doesn't matter much, what do actually mean?

Sorry if I missed something.

Thanks,
rjvsmb

When you say diameter, length and wood type doesn't matter much, what do actually mean?

Sorry if I missed something.

Thanks,
rjvsmb

Well, as Houston added, different wood types are more or less dense than others (and as he also said, more dense equals more vibration, but will also last you longer if you are a heavy hitter). Diameter and length are more about feel than anything. A wide stick will feel more solid in your hand. And as Houston also added (his post was great, filled in all the holes I missed), a longer stick rebounds less quickly (this goes hand in hand with taper), and will thus feel a little more solid and a little less bouncy.

I just bought some Vater Fatback 3A. Big round wood tip and feels good in my hand. On the other end of the spectrum is me new Vic Firth Peter Erskine, with real small round, nylon tips. Good for Jazz etc.

Back