Yamaha "Vintage Series" snare drums?

Shane up in Portsmouth has a video of that drum. I too am wondering how much of a difference there is between my sensitive model with vintage finish and this drum since I haven't heard it live yet. Check this out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YT1PwqFKBk

I like it a lot. The shell and lugs are very good. The strainer is just okay. I just put a coated Ambassador on the top and a fresh clear Ambassador snare side on the bottom. I am also using Puresound bronze snares instead of the stock Yammies that came with it. It's not a Craviotto but for the price point, it's a pretty good drum.

I have one as well (vintage natural)...I really like this drum!...it just feels right when you play it..I don't know if that's because it's an 8 lug shell or has 1.6 mm hoops (or because of both)..but it definitely is a nice drum to play...

picture.php

I purchased one of these snares at my local shop last week. Yamaha Canada found a few Sakae (Japanese manufactured) Yamaha snares on a pallet in their warehouse and offered them to the Canadian Dealers. My local shop got in a Vintage Series snare and I was really impressed and bought it. The drum's thin shell 60 degree ( Yamaha measures from the opposite access as a Gretsch so the bearing edge is really a 30 degree) rounded bearing edge. 4 ply maple shell with 6 ply reinforcing ring. The strainer is great and is very smooth and no slippage. The 1.6mm triple flange hoops really adds to the the vintage vibe and sound.

Nice sounding drum in the clip. I really liked the medium tuning. Mostly I was hearing the thinner hoops though. It still sounds like a modern drum.

If someone wants to come out with a true vintage sounding line of drums, then purposely make the drums slightly out of round, put the wrap right into the scarf joint so you get a flat spot on one side of the shell, and make sure the bearing edges are less than perfect. Then you'll get a little closer, lol. I remember Sakae putting audio samples of their Trilogy snare drums up on their site, comparing them to old Radio Kings (why those instead of old Lundy 3-ply drums, I'm not sure...) and the drums were so far off from one another sonically that it struck me as absolutely ridiculous that they would have made the comparison, let alone put the results up on their site.

Nice sounding drum in the clip. I really liked the medium tuning. Mostly I was hearing the thinner hoops though. It still sounds like a modern drum.

If someone wants to come out with a true vintage sounding line of drums, then purposely make the drums slightly out of round, put the wrap right into the scarf joint so you get a flat spot on one side of the shell, and make sure the bearing edges are less than perfect. Then you'll get a little closer, lol. I remember Sakae putting audio samples of their Trilogy snare drums up on their site, comparing them to old Radio Kings (why those instead of old Lundy 3-ply drums, I'm not sure...) and the drums were so far off from one another sonically that it struck me as absolutely ridiculous that they would have made the comparison, let alone put the results up on their site.

I think they did very well on the Trilogy series, It comes close enough. I think I do like the Yamaha Club Customs a bit more though.

And Gretsch does a tremendous job with the renewed Broadkaster line.

The Vintage series offers a pretty large tuning range. What I like is you can get that crack out of it without really tightening down the head as in other snares!

Back