OK I'm back now.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I was going to post this in the 'drums' section but there's a reason for this that's not 'drummy', so I decided to put it in the general discussion section.

A week or two ago, I told everyone I liquidated all my gear to get to the heart of the matter of my playing. And truthfully, I still don't need to own my own stuff at this juncture. But many of you are right, I do need something of my own to play. So I bought myself another kit. My Stewart Copeland snare did seem a bit lonely after I dismantled it and cleaned it up and put it back together, that it deserved to be part of a kit.

So, I purchased a new Tama Starclassic Performer birch/bubinga shell pack painted in the black oyster lacquer. Yes, they're not the Starclassic Bubinga Elites I owned, but I really like these new ones. There is a different sound to them because of the hybrid of the two woods, and the fact that the black oyster finish is painted and not a wrap gives me what I was looking for: a modern kit with great engineering with a nice vintage look. As you'll see in the pictures, I even managed to find a chrome front reso head for the bass drum (I thought the yellowish fiberskyn logo head it came with didn't make any sense when you're dealing with black, greys, and chrome as your primary colors).

It's pretty standard sizes: 7x10, 8x12, and 14x16 toms, with a nice semi-compact 16x22 bass drum (I'm so sick of 18" deep bass drums). I was originally going to get a Ludwig Ringo Downbeat kit, but I really like five-piece kits too, so when I saw this kit, I pulled the trigger and went for it. I'm currently working on a review of it as soon as I record the video portion. Tama calls it a limited edition, so I also pulled the trigger on a matching 5.5x14 snare to go with this kit, but unfortunately, there's a back-order on the snares and I won't see mine until late May, early June. Not that I couldn't survive with the Copeland alone (duh). It'll be nice to have a complete matching set of these once I get the snare. The slightly bigger bass drum means the toms are a bit higher, so I've been getting used to that these last few days, but they sound and feel great.

But some of you have questioned my madness and I think I've come to terms with it and can now talk about it. After attending the NAMM show, I had a couple of companies feign interest in bringing me on as an artist-endorser. And my education while at the NAMM show was I'd basically be a customer to them in exchange for playing their gear at a bigger than normal discount rate. After a lot of thought in the downtime while they considered my application, I came to realize that one of them won't make bass drums less than 17.5" deep unless I went with their ultra high-end custom-built kits. But even at the huge discount they'd give me to play their stuff, I'd still have to fork out close to $3k to get what I want, and then I'd be stuck with these deep bass drums anyway.

I suppose having you as a customer really proves if you love the product, and to be honest, I'm not sure I love any product enough to be loyal for two years (at least). My entire career I've made enough money to buy what I want, when I want it. And I'm sorta old skool too: if they really want you, they'll give you the stuff and a paycheck!

Most likely they wouldn't do that for me, and they don't really have to. I'm not in the position where I need global tour support and I'm just not a big name. So if I never get an endorsement deal, I'm ok with that. What I buy to play, means I like it. If I change my mind in a year, that's my choice too. They're like clothes to me - I like to change it up.

I must really like Tama if I decided to get another one, but Tama was my first big pro kit when I got a Superstar back in '84. Then I moved into the ultra high-end bubinga elites, and now I'm really diggin' this modern take of the black oyster. Great engineering - I've never had anything just break on a Tama kit. So as a utilitarian tool, these are perfect for me. And I've never approached Tama for an endorsement deal either. No point I guess, I'm not a big name touring around and in my current gig (that some of you know about) I can't really talk about it anyway.

So enjoy the pictures. I'll be posting a review of them soon on my blog (a real review and demonstrating some real playing of them) so stay tuned!

BTW - these drums will debut when I sub for Bermuda in one of the many bands he plays in coming up in April. So I guess it's nice I won't have to borrow drums for that gig - it'll be a good first impression to show up with your own gear, eh?

Attachments

• New-Tamas-Frnt.jpg
    New-Tamas-Frnt.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,856
  • New-Tamas-back.jpg
    New-Tamas-back.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,837
if they really want you, they'll give you the stuff and a paycheck!
Rarely, if ever, & as you rightly point out, it's a question of context/scale. We (Guru) never give gear away, irrespective of the artist status. Instead, we offer a discount equal to the trade price, & usually only after the artist has bought/tried our instruments. Artist endorsers who aren't in love with our gear are no use to us. We also cover artists expenses in promotional activities.

That crap aside, the new kit looks very nice Bo. Epiphany or no epiphany, you need your own gear, so good call.

Lets see, what did I say in your "epiphany" thread​
But, I also think your drumsetless state will be short lived.
I think I called that one pretty spot on. Welcome back.​

Phew. I was feeling the earth wobbling erratically on its axis for a while there. Nice tubs, man.

You getting another new kit within 30 days was as sure a bet as any I've made. The heavy favorite horse that wins handily by 10 lengths at 1-9 odds.

Gorgeous kit of course, but the black oyster design...dare we say Ringo (sorta)?

I'm not in the position where I need global tour support and I'm just not a big name.

You're a big name in my book, Bo! :) Great looking set and glad to have you back. Sounds like you made the right decision for you.

You are like a woman and new shoes. Nice kit. Good decision.

Congrats with your new drums.
I totally agree that this finish is much better than a wrap from a sound perspective.
Beautiful drums.

glad yr back in the game Bo

where did you end up scooping it ?

glad yr back in the game Bo

where did you end up scooping it ?

As I was doing research on the internets for a Ludwig Downbeat, this kit eventually started to pop up, so I looked at these. Not sure what it is about these kits, but the prices seemed to jump up or down pretty widely so once I knew they were all the same, it was just a matter of finding the lowest price and this drumshop in Maine had them for $1300 (don't remember who) with free shipping and everything. But the price I paid was less than half of what I would've spent to the endorsing company for less drums at their endorser rate!

That's what surprised me. I suppose if I was really behind the product, than getting a discount isn't such a bad idea. But because I'm such a "drums off the shelf guy" and don't really need custom-made anything, it began to make less and less sense to go with the super-expensive kit of sizes I didn't like. If I can find the right sizes in a color I'm into, and it ends up being way cheaper than the endorser rate, financially I'm still ahead. I suppose if I wanted to be endorsed by anyone, it'd be Ludwig simply because they still make the sizes I'm comfortable with and really have that new vintage market sewn up. But I'm sure that ain't gonna happen. Ludwig at the NAMM show is really like visiting with Harley-Davidson motorcycles. They know they have it, and everybody still wants it.

Glad the meds kicked in Bo..kidding.Beautiful drums,I love the Ringoesque vibe too.I still have my 77 superstars,and refuse to part with them.Satin walnut finish 13/14/16/22/14,4 ply with rerings.Just great drums...Tama dosen't do junk.:)

Steve B

That chrome reso head on the kick is awesome, haha. I need to get ahold of one of those!

I walked into my local Guitar Center and they actually had one of these Remo chrome Starfire heads hanging on the wall. I told the guy I'd buy that one and he managed to find one in his warehouse still in the box. $40 and it was done. I had a Tama logo sticker and put it on when I got home. It's the 80s all over again!

Of course, I also picked up a smooth white PowerStroke3 and put a logo on that too in case I should want to complete the vintage vibe. And I used nail polish remover on both heads to get the Remo logo off.

I liked the supplied Tama fiberskyn front head, but that yellowish hue just does not compliment the primary colors of this kit. It looked a little seasick ;)

Glad the meds kicked in Bo..kidding.Beautiful drums,I love the Ringoesque vibe too.I still have my 77 superstars,and refuse to part with them.Satin walnut finish 13/14/16/22/14,4 ply with rerings.Just great drums...Tama dosen't do junk.:)

Steve B

Funny how much more normal I feel now knowing there's a complete kit to play in my little practice studio! I remember seeing Earth, Wind, and Fire in the 70s and Fred White was playing a new brand of drum, Tama, way back then. I had been eyeing that company since then! I'd love to see pictures of your kit, talk about a blast from the past. Of course, Copeland really pushed me into Tama when I got heavily into the Police. But by then enough other artists were using them too.

Speaking of not making junk, in my searching I also found not one but TWO Roger's Big R Dynasonic Londoner 5 drum kits being sold by people that looked like they were never played. Rogers was the reason everyone else went bigger and heavier and I almost pulled the trigger on one of those. They're stuff is still holding up 40 years after the fact!

I like the ultra-realistic grass painted on part of the kick head as shown in the first pic. Must have been an expensive custom job, yes?

I like the ultra-realistic grass painted on part of the kick head as shown in the first pic. Must have been an expensive custom job, yes?

Yeah. We put the kit down on the patio and looked at the angle, then I let my little lawn elves start painting as I set up the camera gear ;)

Excellent choice, Bo. Those drums are gorgeous. I agree about the chrome head, that's the kind of thing I'm picky about when it comes to matching the cosmetics of my set. I think you made the right choice there.

I have a soft spot for Tama. My first kit was a set of Swingstars in 1985 that I still own. They're beat up, but still playable. I still get excited when I see that logo :)

As I was doing research on the internets for a Ludwig Downbeat, this kit eventually started to pop up, so I looked at these. Not sure what it is about these kits, but the prices seemed to jump up or down pretty widely so once I knew they were all the same, it was just a matter of finding the lowest price and this drumshop in Maine had them for $1300 (don't remember who) with free shipping and everything. But the price I paid was less than half of what I would've spent to the endorsing company for less drums at their endorser rate!

That's what surprised me. I suppose if I was really behind the product, than getting a discount isn't such a bad idea. But because I'm such a "drums off the shelf guy" and don't really need custom-made anything, it began to make less and less sense to go with the super-expensive kit of sizes I didn't like. If I can find the right sizes in a color I'm into, and it ends up being way cheaper than the endorser rate, financially I'm still ahead. I suppose if I wanted to be endorsed by anyone, it'd be Ludwig simply because they still make the sizes I'm comfortable with and really have that new vintage market sewn up. But I'm sure that ain't gonna happen. Ludwig at the NAMM show is really like visiting with Harley-Davidson motorcycles. They know they have it, and everybody still wants it.

I know you are low to the ground like me :)

curious why you went with the 22" kick

the shallow toms maybe?

every Starclassic Ive ever played has sung like a gospel choir ....beautiful

Bo, are you still over at Disney down there? I'll be down there for a vacation with the lady in October... I think it's fun to meet people you only know online. Even just for a quick hand-shake and "hello". Interested in a quick "Hi"?

Back