So, whats new?

Singing lessons, DED. You can do it! :)

Hahaha....yes, well, it's not for a lack of trying.

But between a life time of drum lessons, some guitar lessons, learning protools and keyboard programming, there's just not enough left of me to commit to voice lessons too.

Yea it does. I have two boys too and its the greatest time in your life to be around them as they grow..

It's great, it's wonderful, but the time between me picking up the sticks seems to get longer and longer. I know once they're in school, develop more friends, and hobbies, it will be easier to pursue another band (unless they both take up drums and kick me out of my own studio), but they're only this young once.

That, and when I do get time, I'm usually knee deep in trying to figure out guitar parts and mixing ideas for the songs I'm writing. I got into this batch of song writing so I'd have interesting things to drum too, but the more I get into it, the more the drums take a back seat to everything else.

Uh...

Marching season ends after the Veteran's Day parade on Nov. 11th. Playing tenors in that, and also playing set in the band's pit, which is pretty awesome(considered making a thread about the gear and set-up).

Messing around with a cut-down set, just hi-hat, crash, ride, 1-up 1-down stuff. Redefining myself as a drummer.

Off-season brings me a swing-band part with a saxophonist from my church and some people I don't know. The saxophonist is a cool guy, so I hope it goes well.

Don't know what else to say...

Great thread. I really enjoyed reading what has been posted so far.

I am looking forward to the new year. 2010 hasn't been my best year. After I quit teaching for Billy Hydes last year I have had to build a new clientele. Bad management on their part saw me lose 40 + students over 6 weeks. So my income dropped dramatically.

Then I had several health issues that stopped me even playing live. Even to the point where I could not play matched grip. I had to play traditional full time. Nothing wrong with that but I like to play open handed.

But things are looking up. My hand came good 3 weeks ago. I am back to practising heavily. I am gaining more students. Just last week I got 4 new drum students and a guy needing timbale lessons.

I am very happy at the new teaching venue. I am going to be representing a stunningly amazing cymbal line. I will be buying another drum kit soon. Either a Sonor or LeSoprano.

Today, Sunday is my day off. I won't practice today. But Monday I have a practice list all ready. I will begin at 9 am on the pad and practice rudiments for 3 hours. Then when I have warmed up I will set about the Portraits in rhythm book and play through the solos for about an hour. Then I will practice congas for one hour. Zabumba for 30 minutes. Pandeiro for an hour. I will finish with a final hour on the pad. Then I have to transcribe some rhythms for students. I should be done by about 5 pm.

Then on Tuesday it's back to teaching beginning at 10 am and ending at 8.30 pm.

Such is my life.
Hey Wy, I'm so pleased to hear this. I was worried about you for a while there. Man, you put in some practice hours, I'm not worthy! BTW, can you give us a hint on the cymbal endorsement? That sounds like a deserved break to me. I can't think of a better ambassador for any product, especially as I know you wouldn't go near it unless you believed in it.

Hey Wy, I'm so pleased to hear this. I was worried about you for a while there. Man, you put in some practice hours, I'm not worthy! BTW, can you give us a hint on the cymbal endorsement? That sounds like a deserved break to me. I can't think of a better ambassador for any product, especially as I know you wouldn't go near it unless you believed in it.

Hi mate.

Thanks very much. The past 14 months have been problematic. Problems derived from my broken back in 1996 flared up last year with nerve damage in my spine. Then severe arthritis added to the fun. Arthritis that affected my internal organs. Seriously. But I am ok now.

The endorsement is unofficial. Basically I believe in the product and am helping to sell it. In response I get a great discount. I have always avoided endorsements where possible and have always been behind the scenes. This way my choice of instrument is my own. I was offered a Sonor deal late last year the the IFC happened and that was that.

As for practice? Well mate it is my life. I have some new conga rhythms I learned last week I want to nail. I also want to memorise the Portraits in rhythm book. So I will do that. I have not played pandeiro since before my arthritis problem. Same goes for zabumba. I have much work to do. And my left hand needs work after the past year having to focus on traditional grip.

Practice for me is a friend. I love it so it is not a chore. I hope to always have an end in sight. Practice for practice sake is silly. But being silly I have often fallen into that trap. Today was meant to be my day off but I have not gone out and have played the pad all day. It makes it easier to avoid people. I am not in possession of a personality that could make it in the world of performing arts. Even though I played alongside major pop stars. It just wasn't me mate. But I can teach.

Thanks mate.

I am not in possession of a personality that could make it in the world of performing arts.
So you can be a bit abrupt & prickly occasionally, I'd take that over BS delivered with a smile anytime! Great to hear you're on course. As you probably already know, I have a (thankfully) benign spinal tumor, so yeah, I'm with you on the kinda body shit that can cause. My legs, dammit!!

Anyhow, the cymbal thing sounds cool. I'm doing something similar with Amedia. Low level mutual cooperation & benefit. It's a nice no pressure situation that I'm very happy with, & I've truly found the sounds I've been searching for.

Good luck my friend, Andy.

Thanks Andy.

Strangely I was the full social butterfly and gigging drummer before my broken back. On stage along side Kylie Minogue, no problem. I was on TV all the time and had a fan club in a girls magazine. But I seem to have changed. Perhaps not so much a change as a return to my roots.

I was excited to read the thread about your cymbal company. I did think of your health and it bouyed my spirits to think your health must have improved. :)

She may be tiny, but her arse is better than photos make out. And she's a doll. A lovely girl.

That's all I will ever say about my pop star past. I do not contribute to this site in an effort to publicise myself. Only to help.

I am very happy at the new teaching venue. I am going to be representing a stunningly amazing cymbal line. I will be buying another drum kit soon. Either a Sonor or LeSoprano.

Such is my life.

You won't be sorry if you buy the Le Soprano kit. They sound and look totally awesome. I have owned a Le Soprano Pro Maple series 5 piece for around 2 years now. Everyone that sees and hears my kit are very impressed.
Check out the pics in this thread.http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32069&highlight=le+soprano

You won't be sorry if you buy the Le Soprano kit. They sound and look totally awesome. I have owned a Le Soprano Pro Maple series 5 piece for around 2 years now. Everyone that sees and hears my kit are very impressed.
Check out the pics in this thread.http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32069&highlight=le+soprano

I know the brand well. I have 3 of their snare drums. Thanks.

I really enjoyed learning about the lives of other posters. I would now like to stop posting here and allow space for more interesting people than I.

For the last 5 years or so, I have been playing in a couple of gigging blues bands. A few months ago I was asked to join a band that plays top 40 hits from the last 4 decades or so, including Led Zepplin, the Doors, John Mayer, Beatles, Kings of Leon, U2 and many more.
It's music I never was that interested in playing before, but I have been really enjoying the challenge. Last night we had our first gig at a private function, and the crowd loved it. They didn't want us to stop.
I am now in 3 working bands, 2 blues and 1 top40. I think that is about as much as I can handle.

I concur. Stunning drums I love my LeSoprano snares.

But this is not the thread for it.

I had to do some work from home last weekend.

It got me thinking about others who take their work home to stay on top:

work_bringing-work-home.jpg

Last edited:
I've got my first big opportunity to record an album that someone else is paying for. The singer and keys player from pirate metal band Alestorm is setting up a new band, GloryHammer, who will play songs about a fantasy version of Fife in Scotland. We're going to be going to Munich some time next year to record the album, which is already written, and then presumably live performances will follow to promote it. Just goes to show that it's not what you know, but who!

Back