Port Hole Patching?

Lots of dampening is a good thing to most people. Many drummers buy the thinnest, ringiest heads they can find and then go to extremes of stuffing clothing, pillows, blankets, towels and other junk in a desperate effort to dampen the head. I actually thickened my drum head by gluing a layer of felt to the inside reso head. The drum loses no internal volume, rings are tamed and drum has plenty of chomp.

I'd recommend getting a piece of mylar drum head, cutting it a little bigger than the hole, and carefully gluing it. The only drawback is, this isn't going to help you much with controlling ring.

I actually like a lot of low end resonance. A nice loud thump that shakes the stage. I don't like super muffled drums, but at the same, I don't want it to sound like a Civil War cannon being fired in a metal building.

God no, don't ever put any duct tape on a drum ...

I'll use a touch of tape on batter bass drum to act like minor amount of natural compression...but if you use it to control sustain or overtones, work on tuning/beater control.

If you have to stick tape on every exposed part of the kit, graduate and start using Gaffers tape, Permacel at that. As long as you don't have it adhered for months or years on end, it will pull off without leaving residue. I always have a few rolls laying around. It's also great for a tunnel tape to keep cables in check, both on the floor and on the kit..

Dennis

Back