Taylor Hawkins

I saw Taylor with Alanis in the video to You Oughta Know, and even back then, he caught attention with his immense energy and a very visual style. And then came the Foos.
I just played on a rock record that is rather inspired by the live vibe of the Foos on tape (including the recording process, often with everyone on the floor on takes and NO Pro-Tools). I played songs at bpms which I never thought I'd pull off to a click, including fills. I owe it big time to Taylor for being a huge inspiration to play the way I did, and then some.
I think Taylor is an awesome musician, not just a drummer. My respects.

He certainly deserves more attention than say, Travis f'n Barker. I too love his strait-forward rock style.

5768817929_03da3e9e0c_z.jpg

5769363064_d6e16c044e_z.jpg

looks like the Gretsch USA Custom in Satin Classic Maple to me;

SCM54_lg.jpg

Hawkins is probably my favourite drummer in Rock today

I LOVE the Foo's, but never really rated him as a drummer. Then i was listening to one of my other favourite bands, Coheed and Cambria, and realised he contributed parts and played the main drummers parts on New World For Tomorrow. Lot more technical. Have a new found respect for the guy now.

I think he uses Gretsch USA maple with Clear Emps over clear Ambassadors. PS4 on kick and Emp X on snare.

On the last CD, it was 15" K Light Hats, 19" K Custom Hybrid Crash, 21" A Sweet Ride, 20" A Custom EFX, and some kinda K Custom China. 18" or 20" I think, but I don't remember.

He's used a ton of different cymbal set ups over the years, that's just the latest.

560719_10151499020940545_25098475544_23336719_1084959292_n.jpg

Wonder why hes taken to using a concert tom instead of a traditional rack tom?

Hey man, I saw the Foos live in Argentina last month and yeah, he's not only using a concert rack tom.. the floor toms are also concert toms.

Red with gold hardware (even the cymbal stands), absolutely B-E-A-UTIFUL, and sounded amazing.

Taylor+Hawkins+en+Intergal%25C3%25A1ctico.png

(you can't see the FT but trust me, they didn't have resos.. I was in the very first row) :)

Cheers.

The Foos are my faves, as you can see by name. I love Taylor and he and I share a lot of the same drum heros and influences as I'm sure a lot of you do too. I loved the Back and Forth documentary they did. The interview with FF's bassist Nate Mendel talking about seeing Taylor with Alanis Morrisette is priceless! As you know he played with Alanis before the Foos and post Sass Jordan. It was with Alanis that he got to meet Dave and they became friends before Dave hired him to replace Will Goldsmith in the Foos. Alanis had just put out Jagged Little Pill and it was her border crossing rock breakout album. She wanted to be more that just a Canadian teen popstar, and chose her live band to be full on rock. And there's Taylor bashing away behind her stuff. Nate thought this was funny to him! Even on the mid tempo pop stuff he's totally rocking out!
He's great for sure and the drum sounds they got to analog tape (yes! analog tape!) on the new album sound amazing!

Hey man, I saw the Foos live in Argentina last month and yeah, he's not only using a concert rack tom.. the floor toms are also concert toms.

Red with gold hardware (even the cymbal stands), absolutely B-E-A-UTIFUL, and sounded amazing.

Taylor+Hawkins+en+Intergal%25C3%25A1ctico.png

(you can't see the FT but trust me, they didn't have resos.. I was in the very first row) :)

Cheers.

Taylor's a big Phil Collins fan- perhaps that might explain it?

I was going to start a thread about Taylor and then I searched and found this....

I'm learning Everlong for a gig...and, well, I'm not a fan of the Foo....never heard any of their stuff except Learn To Fly which on it's own ain't half bad....but that's just my old guy opinion.

The good news is that after listening to Everlong and playing along to it, I found there was some outstanding hihat work worthy of the "foundations" list...and through that one song have gained a real appreciation for Taylor...assuming he played it and not Grohl.

Since I know very little about Foo, can anyone point me to the best example(s) of Taylor's playing in Foo Fighters...several songs would be cool.

I love the work I have heard from him so far. Wow!

I was going to start a thread about Taylor and then I searched and found this....

I'm learning Everlong for a gig...and, well, I'm not a fan of the Foo....never heard any of their stuff except Learn To Fly which on it's own ain't half bad....but that's just my old guy opinion.

The good news is that after listening to Everlong and playing along to it, I found there was some outstanding hihat work worthy of the "foundations" list...and through that one song have gained a real appreciation for Taylor...assuming he played it and not Grohl.

Since I know very little about Foo, can anyone point me to the best example(s) of Taylor's playing in Foo Fighters...several songs would be cool.

I love the work I have heard from him so far. Wow!

Taylor plays the song all the time at shows and what not, but the album version is Dave. It's still rock solid, and rock and roll.

Taylor wasn't a member of the Foo Fighters when Everlong was recorded if I remember.

Dave got mad at the drummer at the time and redid all the drumming for one of the records.

Taylor wasn't a member of the Foo Fighters when Everlong was recorded if I remember.

Dave got mad at the drummer at the time and redid all the drumming for one of the records.

I don't think Dave was mad at him, just unimpressed with his drumming. He wanted the guy, William Goldsmith, to play on the next tour but Goldsmith was so insulted that Dave re-recorded all of his parts that he quit the band.
Then Dave calls Taylor to ask if he knows a good touring drummer and Hawkins himself wanted the job. The rest is history.
The Foos are supposed to have a new record out next year. Can't wait!

I can’t believe it’s already been a little over a year since we’ve lost Taylor Hawkins. The @Foofightersofficial, just released this new song “Rescued” and announced a new album coming soon. This part of the song is just the beginning. And, you can already hear how much emotion was put into it. RIP Taylor! His passion behind the kit will live on forever!

Back