Covering a song with band above my skill level (Opinions on hitting the "key" points)

AxisDrummer

Hey Guys,

I'm not a good drummer by any means. I never took a lesson or practiced rudiments and just always have been in a cover band and learned songs, played gigs, etc.... I REALLY do work hard when learning songs and am a fast learner at song structure. I think I have decent time (don't we all?!?) Supporting musicians who are much more talented than me seem to enjoy playing with me, but that's presumably because of my work ethic and personality....they know what to expect (and NOT expect) from my limited drumming skills.

I recently joined a new group and they leave it up to me when covering songs. I always get the basic flavor of the song even if I can't nail all the fills (EXAMPLE: My old band played Tool's Sober....no hope in hell of nailing those 2 big fills, but I manage.)

Onto the specific.....we're covering a song called "Float On" by Modest Mouse (I personally never heard of it, and I don't care for it, but I'm a professional and I'll put 100% into learning it.)

Here's the official song/video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAud5O7Qqk

During the chorus, there are 16ths on the hi-hat with some accents.
16ths are NOT my strong point. I'll keep working at them but for now, I'm concentrating on the song. I have 2 options within my skill level.

1) Play 16ths, but missing some of the accents on the hi-hats.

2) Play 8ths, but while playing 8ths, I can nail ALL the accents.

Which option do YOU feel covers the flavor of the song better? (For the record, I have the rest of the song down perfect note for note, even the ghost snare notes.)

I would keep the 16th note feel and ditch the accents if you cant pull them off. I cant listen to it at work, but I know the song and I feel the song really rides on that funky kind of beat. As long as you can keep that feel you will be fine.

Definitely play the 16ths.

For the record, I'm hearing him open the hats on the + of 3 every second measure and the accents fall on the 2 and 4 of the last two measures. (I think he may also open the hats on the + of 4 once or twice too, but it's not a deal breaker if you don't IMHO).

Work through it slowly and count it out. It's not difficult. Just a matter of practice. You'll have it in no time.

Back