DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Get better Andy!

Peace and Love Andy..
Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Anyone in for a chip-in towards a little get well gift of some sort? Anyone know how we could get it to him? Anyone know if this is a good idea?

Might make him feel better if we bought him an official "Fired Up" T-shirt. I hear he's sort of fond of the band.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Wow.

Sending love and wishing you comfort my friend.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

We're pulling for you, Andy. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Anyone in for a chip-in towards a little get well gift of some sort?
You all just did - this thread = so unexpected & so not necessary, but I'm humbled & heartened by your kind words & thoughts.

I'm just a normal guy trying to cut a path through life without hurting anyone, & if I can lift someone up along the way, I will.

As for my condition, yes, it's a bummer, & a life reset will inevitably follow, but I will absolutely not be defined by this. It will take me a short while to rationalise what's happened & come up with a plan. Of course, it will be a great plan - the best plan ever - & I'm bigly looking forward to telling you about it ;) ;) ;)

Seriously though - A word about the care I received. I was lucky - extremely lucky. I live in a very rural area. My local hospital (18 miles away) is of reasonable size - still small compared to many - but modern / well resourced, & has a dedicated acute stroke unit. The unit has all the latest scan toys, & a ratio of 3 staff to every patient. Truly, a better level of care & professionalism I cannot imagine. Within 1 hour of the crap hitting the fan, & being blue lighted 18 miles on rural roads, I was in a CT scanner, & 30 minutes later, I had a very comprehensive MRI scan lasting 2 hours. In other words, a complete diagnosis & various levels of preventative treatment within the magic 4 hour window. This saved my unworthy arse from a meltdown, & something I will be forever grateful for.

Somewhat perversely under the circumstances, my band is scheduled to play a benefit for the same hospital's "Born Sleeping" appeal this coming Saturday, a commitment I'm honouring, although with some reasonable restrictions imposed by the medical team. My only concern is, I'm not sure of my playing ability, so I'll be gently testing that out ahead of the gig. If this was any other gig, it would have been pulled, along with most of the others we've already pulled for the next 3 months.

Anyhow, enough rambling from me. Again, I'm hugely touched by all your kindness & concern. I'm now off for some repair time.

Andy.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Good to hear you're doing relatively well. You're truly a class act and it would seem there was something unbalanced with the universe if this were to be even the slightest bit worse.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Mate, I had no idea. I'm glad to hear you're back and you have been so well looked after. You're a much-loved man and for damn good reason. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said already but all the best for you. I hope Yvonne and the kids are ok too.

D
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM
ineedaclutch
This message has been deleted by ineedaclutch.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Andy, 'our' hearts skipped a beat there.

Blessed be.

Have total confidence you'll figure out the '........ for a reason' part, know you'll handle it like a pro.

May the music be healing.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Andy!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You all just did - this thread = so unexpected & so not necessary, but I'm humbled & heartened by your kind words & thoughts.

I'm just a normal guy trying to cut a path through life without hurting anyone, & if I can lift someone up along the way, I will.

As for my condition, yes, it's a bummer, & a life reset will inevitably follow, but I will absolutely not be defined by this. It will take me a short while to rationalise what's happened & come up with a plan. Of course, it will be a great plan - the best plan ever - & I'm bigly looking forward to telling you about it ;) ;) ;)

Seriously though - A word about the care I received. I was lucky - extremely lucky. I live in a very rural area. My local hospital (18 miles away) is of reasonable size - still small compared to many - but modern / well resourced, & has a dedicated acute stroke unit. The unit has all the latest scan toys, & a ratio of 3 staff to every patient. Truly, a better level of care & professionalism I cannot imagine. Within 1 hour of the crap hitting the fan, & being blue lighted 18 miles on rural roads, I was in a CT scanner, & 30 minutes later, I had a very comprehensive MRI scan lasting 2 hours. In other words, a complete diagnosis & various levels of preventative treatment within the magic 4 hour window. This saved my unworthy arse from a meltdown, & something I will be forever grateful for.

Somewhat perversely under the circumstances, my band is scheduled to play a benefit for the same hospital's "Born Sleeping" appeal this coming Saturday, a commitment I'm honouring, although with some reasonable restrictions imposed by the medical team. My only concern is, I'm not sure of my playing ability, so I'll be gently testing that out ahead of the gig. If this was any other gig, it would have been pulled, along with most of the others we've already pulled for the next 3 months.

Anyhow, enough rambling from me. Again, I'm hugely touched by all your kindness & concern. I'm now off for some repair time.

Andy.
"You tit!
I soiled my armour I was so scared!!
"

Mate, best news I've heard all day. I just logged in to demand one of these blokes keep me in the loop as to your condition........and here you are.....large as life and twice as ugly. Upright, breathing and still pulling the piss!

Brilliant! Absolutely fucking brilliant!!

Rest up my friend. I'll look forward to hearing of all your exploits upon full recovery.

Cheers.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Ahh man - that sucks!!
Sending best wishes my friend - hang in there.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Upright, breathing and still pulling the piss!
Pretty much sums up the current status :)

In other news, the gig I thought I was doing has been pulled, by my own band!!! I received the "non negotiable" call earlier. For once, I've been bullied into submission - trust those b@5tards to get me while I'm down!

Of course, they're right - I'm wrong = get used to it Andy.

I just bought a riser too - dammitt!!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Of course, they're right - I'm wrong = get used to it Andy.
Just be sure to keep that new plank wanker in check and you'll be riding high on that riser in no time!!

Good to hear you're still as chipper as ever mate. Take care and rest up.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Saw the FB post mate, hope the family are ok and glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

I used to work on a Neurological Rehab Ward for 18-60 patients and you've been very lucky, I've seen what strokes can do and it's heartbreaking. I hope the rehab goes well, if the medical staff are anything like the ones I worked with you're in good hands.

After surviving this I'd be having a few lucky dips on the lottery....£57m rollover tonight, I'd say you're odds on :)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Man, Im sure glad that I only just saw this thread, got the bad news and good news almost at the same time.

Andy, treat yourself right man, you owe it to yourself and your close ones.

The DW forum force is with you!

Can you hear it? Because if not we'll just ask Bo to get a bigger bassdrum...
Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

When I read 'brain stem stroke', I was afraid to write anything.
I thought you were a goner.

So glad to hear that you're going to be OK.
Recovery will probably take some time though.
Do whatever's necessary, even if that means doing nothing for a while.
And don't scare us like that again - ha ha.

Here's to getting better.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Andy you are still Andy-still walking and talking, and breathing. I, all posters, and I know your family are so thankful. When I heard "brain stem stroke" I was concerned for your life-that's like a widow maker of strokes. The fact you can respond here and your positive attitude is a great relief for all of us here-we were really worried about you dude. I'm glad you are planning but listen to your caregivers and rest. Just know we are all behind you in spirit-and if anything we can do to help let your DW family know.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, so glad to hear you are doing well, and great that you under great care.
You'll be back in the saddle in no time.
Phew!

*Cheers*

[14 CREW]
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Just like you, Andy, to come through this with aplomb. Thanks for the update and its accompanying dose of inspiration.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
When I read 'brain stem stroke', I was afraid to write anything.
I thought you were a goner.

So glad to hear that you're going to be OK.
Recovery will probably take some time though.
Do whatever's necessary, even if that means doing nothing for a while.
And don't scare us like that again - ha ha.

Here's to getting better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Andy you are still Andy-still walking and talking, and breathing. I, all posters, and I know your family are so thankful. When I heard "brain stem stroke" I was concerned for your life-that's like a widow maker of strokes. The fact you can respond here and your positive attitude is a great relief for all of us here-we were really worried about you dude. I'm glad you are planning but listen to your caregivers and rest. Just know we are all behind you in spirit-and if anything we can do to help let your DW family know.
Andy, Canít say it any better than this and super glad to read your post. You are indeed family and gave us a hell of a scare! You best take it easy or will send Uncle Larry on you!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Anyone in for a chip-in towards a little get well gift of some sort? Anyone know how we could get it to him? Anyone know if this is a good idea?

Might make him feel better if we bought him an official "Fired Up" T-shirt. I hear he's sort of fond of the band.
F^%& yea....just lmk. Discovering this thread has destroyed my day. Andy get well, dont work too hard, rest stay healthy. We are happy to wait a little longer for your drums, they are worth the wait! Damn damn damn, just be well, you are way too good of a person for this nonsense. Damnit Im upset.

Just thinking, its gotta be pretty nice having an online army of people who love you, who have never met you. I think its fair to say you are doing something terribly right in life! Keep it up please...
Old 07-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

Positive thoughts sent. Get well soon.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Wow, really sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers sent for a full and quick recovery 😇
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I only wish this were "normal". At least with the majority of people I run into from day to day it's more like "I'm gonna get mine, if someone else pays a price that's too bad".

Anyway, we need exceptional examples of good conduct (you) here to balance out my nonsense.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Glad to hear the band has taken the desicion to let you rest instead of doing the gig. Itís the right call for sure, even if it was for a good cause.

Iíll echo what I said to you last night, If thereís anything you need....

All the best mate on your recovery, Andy. Fingers crossed youíre back to full strength ASAP.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, glad to hear you're doing well Andy!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Dear DW Members,

Don't you realize what Andy has done?!? He's sacrificed his health to entice Duncan and some other Old Timers from the woodwork - and it worked!!

Bless You, Andy. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Just remember, no man/woman is remembered for their work, but by the number of lives they've impacted during their travels on this Earth.

Except for maybe Einstein, Fermi, Madame Curie, Calvin, Newton, Bell, Faraday, Edison, Tesla, Carver, Volta...

Never mind. As soon as you are able, get off your arse and start truing up some bearing edges. While you're "healing," you can still have your machine ways trued up and get your surface plates calibrated. Don't forget, with a nice Japanese waterstone, you can hone your lathe tools and mill bits while in bed, if somebody will clean up the mess.

All kidding aside. Though I've never met you in person, Andy, I count you as a friend and mentor. I wish you God-speed in your recovery, and send prayers, good thoughts, well wishes and love to you, yours, and all concerned with your well being.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Not to steal a thread, but ...

Last weekend I went to mow my Up-North property (above the 45th Parallel) and I got bit by a bug on my ankle. My wife says it looks like a spider bite ("It has a hole in it.")

It really itches!!! But I'm not feeling any love here on DW. Why does it always have to be Miss Madgenta, or Uncle Larry, or Dr Watso, or GAgrippa, or KIS, or PollyAnna or 'you know who you are?' What about me?!?

Scratching. Smoke out.

;o)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Someone loves me?

I don't think I should get my hopes up. I usually settle for tolerate.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Someone loves me?

I don't think I should get my hopes up. I usually settle for tolerate.
I love you, Doc.

I guess I just have a thing for edgy provocateurs in online drum forums.

Actually, I probably have a secret crush on a fair number of people here. All this talk of mounting multiple rides on a single stand and so forth, plus the mysterious anonymity on the internet, it's just all so sexy.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Andy pushes himself a bit hard IMO. I know why he does it. Still, I'd like to see him not work so hard. I don't think it's in his nature though. However dodging a bullet like this tends to make changes in a person's life.

I think it may stem back (see what I did there?) to the first stave paduak kit of Jeff Almeyda's that fell apart. (Major condensation, the carrier's fault) One lost kit, and a replacement kit for Andy and Dean to make. Then a few of those difficult to make rosewood stave snares did the same thing. Spleen (Jason) and Steadypocket (Rich) were affected. Two more snares to build gratis for Andy. Poor guy, he does not deserve this.

Then there was Johnoworld who bought a snare then returned it. Very poor taste IMO. And me who insisted he nest Yolanda for shipping and the bass drum arrived cracked. (my responsibility, but still a great source of heartache for him) Not counting any drums I don't know about. That must be terribly frustrating, all the free work he had to do. But he always takes the high road. It's hard to see good men get shafted by the universe, while bad men seem to do well.

I'd rather have Andy healthy with no Guru, than no Andy and no Guru...

My thoughts are so with you Ands.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
It's hard to see good men get shafted by the universe, while bad men seem to do well.
It's not about that though. The more we help others and do the right thing, a certain percentage of the time that spurs someone else to pass on the good nature and help. It festers and grows in a great way. Bad things still happen, and good things will still happen to bad people, but it's irrelevant because we're all making the world more positive.

None of it is fair and none of it makes sense, nor will it ever. But we can absolutely control our own positive additions in our short time here. The good things can't exist without the bad; there's a relativity/balance thing and it's universal.

I know for fact Andy understands this and applies it all the time. Same goes for you, Larry. Your caring and generosity are literal legends.

All you other punks need to go help someone, immediately. I am of course a complete saint so I'm exempt.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 AM
"Uncle Larry"

You're right James. Can't have the good without the bad. Bad is necessary apparently. And yea, positivity has a way of growing between people who are exposed to it.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Good, Bad, don't forget Ugly. I am always forgotten. I agree Doc I simplified it to "fight bad with good"-that way the cosmic equilibrium is broken with a catalyst (people like Andy and Larry)so it shifts to the good. I don't understand why some people like to fight bad with bad-makes no sense.

Andy is like James Brown the hardest working man in Drum business-he's always on the go-yet seems to find time for his family and friends. I am so encouraged Andy responded here-and Andy is Andy. I have a friend who had a stroke some 25 years ago that wasn't ever the same-he really died and this new person was left-still a friend he knows me-but I don't really know this new person-I miss my old friend. I wonder what he is remembers of his old self. Anyways I'm encouraged, hopeful and thankful Andy will have a quick and full recovery. All the people thinking and supporting him has to set up some good vibrations-mind over matter healing power.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I have a friend who had a stroke some 25 years ago that wasn't ever the same-he really died and this new person was left-still a friend he knows me-but I don't really know this new person-I miss my old friend.
Aside from obvious physical impact, stroke can be a cruel & indiscriminate thief of personality, & that's especially sad as it impacts loved ones so profoundly too. Thankfully, I'm still the marginally dysfunctional idiot I always have been ;)

Quote:
None of it is fair and none of it makes sense, nor will it ever. But we can absolutely control our own positive additions in our short time here.
Right on!! We're defined by our choices. I'm absolutely no saint - far from it - oh boy have I screwed up in the past, & occasionally by default, others have been hurt. That's regrettable, but I've always made good to those I've affected.

As for helping others, if you have the means, like that's even a choice?

BTW, with some trepidation, I had a bit of pad time this morning - awe man was that depressing. Somewhat perversely & cruelly, one of our key rudiments is called the double stroke, & that has gone down the toilet big time. It would appear I have some re-learning to do.

If it helps anyone here, this is a video I had on my tablet in hospital - it really helped me focus positively. Possibly one of the most joyous & musically uplifting performances I've ever encountered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evN6DIGPIJM Oh, & that rhythm section!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Andy; 07-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:54 PM

When I saw early posts in this thread like others I feared the worst. So happy that you're "on the mend" Andy, I just want to add my best wishes as someone who has enjoyed your kindness and help in person, and say thanks to you I have a dream-came-true drum kit. As other members have attested, you are indeed a remarkable man.

Richard
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM

All the best to you Andy KIS You have helped so many people on here, and i believe all around you. Bill
Old 07-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts - it really is humbling, & appreciated more than you know.

Thought I'd take a shot of my face day 7 after the "event". I've never exactly been an oil painting, & I'm obviously looking more haggard than usual, but the recovery progress in my face has been really gratifying. I still have an issue with my right eyelid, & my pupils are much smaller than usual. This may improve, but may not.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 05:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Since Andy is so well loved here, and since he gave me permission, here is the latest:

Larry, I know you care, as I do you. Really, I'm good. Biggest risk is re-occurance, that would be mighty nasty. 20% chance of that in the next month apparently, & as you can imagine, that's not a good feeling. Get past 1 month, & the risks slowly reduce, but never completely.

This was nothing to do with past lifestyle. Apparently, I was likely genetically predisposed to it. It was going to happen sometime. Perversely, that means, except for the next month or so, I'm in a better place because this happened & I survived largely intact. Now I'm being treated for it, & that lowers overall long term risk. Still a class 1 fucker though :(

Day 1; I lost my ability to walk unaided, some eyesight, all balance & spacial awareness. Day 2; big improvement, & that was the first time I felt encouraged. By day 5 in hospital I was back to 95%. I'm probably at 96% now if I exclude tiredness. In other words, I still have traces of it all, but it's mostly gone. I may never progress above 96%, but I'll absolutely take that. I've not tried to play drums yet. I've been warned there may be some losses there that will require re learning.

Yvonne shit herself. Of course, this is not the first time she's been on this ride, & that takes it's toll. I'm acutely aware that this affects others, maybe more than me in some cases. It pisses me off that I can't control that.

Overall, I'm super positive Larry. Experience tells me that positivity has a material impact on your physical wellbeing, so a necessary component of recovery. Get past the next few weeks, & I'll be back in the saddle, but I am planning some fairly major changes. Time for a reset - I'll let you know what when I've worked it all out. As the saying goes, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm set to be a first time grandfather soon, & that's a leveller that I'm benchmarking in my decision making.

One big bummer - I just cancelled our "holiday of a lifetime" to Antigua due to happen in 6 weeks time. That's a huge disappointment. Through my air points, I'd nailed first class cabin both ways, & hired a cottage right on the beach, but long haul flights + remote location is too big a risk for either of us to contemplate right now.

There you have it Larry. If it helps clarify to others who might be interested, please feel free to share this (edited or complete) - I have zero issue with that. I'm too tired to do it then answer stuff myself this morning.

As always, fondest regards my dear friend, Andy.

First time grandfather. Wow. That's big. Lucky child, having you as a grandfather. That's just great man. Congratulations. Makes it easier to shift priorities. Is it your daughter's or son's expected arrival? Too bad about Antigua. I can relate :(

Anyway, the pic looks great. You actually look rested lol. Positivity. Are you saying that here's another way to think about it? :)

For everyone that loves/needs you, please take it easy this very crucial next month. And thanks for the update my friend. There are tons of people pulling for you.

You are the toughest guy I know.

We'll show that turd who's boss! (movie reference)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I may be overstepping my bounds, but what the hell. I am making this thread a sticky, and proclaiming 7/11, Andy Crosby Day, on the Drummerworld forum.
I don't think anyone is more loved, respected, or looked up to than Andy.
All the best to you Sir for a speedy recovery and happy life. What you think you may have lost has been passed on to others. So, July Eleven is hereby proclaimed Andy Crosby Day.

Mayor Gruntersdad.