Tommy Lee

HurdyGurdyMan

[edit: What's the point of starting a thread to say how much you don't like someone? Maybe others will have something more positive to say. DB]

Last edited by a moderator:
Please... you're going to start another Travis Barker type post. Tommy Lee is an OK drummer. Drumming is something secondary to his personal life and his career as a 2-bit celebrity. He is a lucky guy who was in the right place at the right time. You should spend less time worrying about what goes on TV. It seem's that "reality TV" has very little to with reality.

Superlow said:
Please... you're going to start another Travis Barker type post. Tommy Lee is an OK drummer. Drumming is something secondary to his personal life and his career as a 2-bit celebrity. He is a lucky guy who was in the right place at the right time. You should spend less time worrying about what goes on TV. It seem's that "reality TV" has very little to with reality.

You said it best, he's an OK drummer...nothing special so dont go see motley crue for the drum solo's

Tommy Lee is just ok. I like Motley Crue and their music a lot, but I can still understand how Tommy Lee isn't great, or even good. I think he's a good showman though. But not technically a good drummer. Alright.

and zildjian designed the thrasher series for tommy lee??

hotsauce3n said:
You said it best, he's an OK drummer...nothing special so dont go see motley crue for the drum solo's

I remeber back to when Motley Crue came through in June of 1990. The thing everything was talking about was the upside down drumming. How many regular people do you know come back from a concert and talk about the drum solo? That was the only time I remember plus the huge percentage of people that brought it up was amazing. He deserves some credit for that. Yeah he isn't the most technical but when it comes to rock, he seems to get his point across.

Plook said:
I remeber back to when Motley Crue came through in June of 1990. The thing everything was talking about was the upside down drumming. How many regular people do you know come back from a concert and talk about the drum solo? That was the only time I remember plus the huge percentage of people that brought it up was amazing. He deserves some credit for that. Yeah he isn't the most technical but when it comes to rock, he seems to get his point across.

I have a video of Buddy Rich that did the inverted kit playing (simple riser with cables) and toasted Tommy Lee's solo. Toomy's rig looked cooler. He said it was a nightmare, and that a "Drum solo is such a waste of notes."

Listening to some of Motley Crue's stuff, Tommy sounds like he has kind of a disco-rock beat on a lot of tunes. He fit that band though.

i saw tommy lee talking about his show the other night on 'late night with conan o'brian' and it was pretty funny when he confessed he couldn't read music because he only learnt it in high school, and how his band never used music (which is fair enough). i would like to see how bad he is at reading music, but i live in europe so i can't watch that show.
he also has a fetish for toes and likes to lick people on their faces.

hehe thomas lee bass!

He is a good example of a decent drummer. His playing is ok, his fills are ok, his feel is neat, his live performances are fun... he's very much an icon to non-drummers, but to those of us who know what to look for, he's just ok. Nothing special, but he's definately "great" to people at large.

I think hes better than what you guys are saying about him I'm sure hes great I bet he can do alot of stuff but I never heard his drumsolo's so if anyone has make an attachment because I would like to hear it thanks...

I have some old solos on tape I will try to get them up into a wav file...

I have always liked him he is a very good drummer, just because you may not like his tv show or Motely Crue does not mean he is as bad as some of you think.

I don't care for Blink 182, but I can admit Barker can play better than me, just like Tommy Lee can play better than more than half of you that are bashing him.

Just my opinion....

I found one drum solo by Tommy I'm sure there's more if anyone can find any but this one is pretty cool the interesting thing about Tommy's solo's is he's doing something cool with his drumset it's amazing he played a solo 50 feet above the audience It's not that he wants to make his solo's sound perfect he just want's to have fun and make his solo's look cool by either playing upside down, in a cage, Fire etc..... although his solo's (musically) didn't really impress the crowd. He's a good drummer If I ever do a solo live I would want to be upside down or above the crowd in this globe thingy that would be so cool :D anyways check his solo out...

Attachments

• Tommy Lee Drumsolo.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 2,517
Jaymasta said:
I found one drum solo by Tommy I'm sure there's more if anyone can find any but this one is pretty cool the interesting thing about Tommy's solo's is he's doing something cool with his drumset it's amazing he played a solo 50 feet above the audience It's not that he wants to make his solo's sound perfect he just want's to have fun and make his solo's look cool by either playing upside down, in a cage, Fire etc..... although his solo's (musically) didn't really impress the crowd. He's a good drummer If I ever do a solo live I would want to be upside down or above the crowd in this globe thingy that would be so cool :D anyways check his solo out...

It's not a bad solo in my opinion but listening to it and the speed of some of his double bass patterns incorporating the cowbell is very cool and something that I would love to hear the others on here that are bashing him, try to duplicate.

jamsjr44 said:
It's not a bad solo in my opinion but listening to it and the speed of some of his double bass patterns incorporating the cowbell is very cool and something that I would love to hear the others on here that are bashing him, try to duplicate.
Yes I loved how he did the cowbell. His solo's are all about fun and they are fun to watch. I think the solo's are the funnest that happens at a motley crue show Tommy is a good drummer everytime I hear him play he gets me to run for my drums and just play a bunch of random stuff. :)

I gotta say he's one of my favourite drummers. He's always tried his best to make the drums seem like an exciting and fun instrument, whether its playing upside down in a cage or flying above the crowd. Those are the kinds of things that make people want to play drums.

i do not find tommy lee impressive or even a good drummer. i don't even lik motley crue. i think they r a bunch of sell outs. i personaly think he was at the right place at the right time nd got lucky. especially after that band tryout on his t.v. show. i KNO i couldve done better. nd as far as tommy lee playin better than half of the ppl baggin on him i highly doubt that. nd if its tru thats sad nd im not 1 of them.

nd i think travis barker is a fine drummer.

h3lli0N said:
i do not find tommy lee impressive or even a good drummer. i don't even lik motley crue. i think they r a bunch of sell outs. i personaly think he was at the right place at the right time nd got lucky. especially after that band tryout on his t.v. show. i KNO i couldve done better. nd as far as tommy lee playin better than half of the ppl baggin on him i highly doubt that. nd if its tru thats sad nd im not 1 of them.

nd i think travis barker is a fine drummer.
You can't just judge tommy now you haven't seen everything he can do on drums and I think he is an excellent drummer he can do alot of stuff. His solo's are mainly about fun and he probably is better than most here that are bashing him he started playing when he was four and he's pretty damn good. Before you say you could of done better you should try out for yourself It's harder than it looks. Travis Barker is also a fine drummer he's got alot of talent but his latest solo on drummerworld was also about the fun of it! Flashing lights and a spinning drum platform that goes high it more about the visuals for that solo In my opinion And Tommy Lee is on the site just look! or type it....

Back