Favourite Guitar Player.

The Swedish geezer!: Yngwie Malmsteen + Rising Force.

My favourite Aussie: Angus Young.

and Brian May is a classic one.

this is why drummers get a bad rap.....a thread about favorite guitarists,and not one mention of Randy Rhoads.....*sigh*

So um yea, Randy Rhoads

Ok...I apologise in advance for this, but you did ask....here we go, in no preferential order......(draws breath).......

Chet Atkins, James Burton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mark Knopfler, George Harrison, Dave Gilmor, Ritchie Blackmore, Brian May, Mike McReady, Jerry Cantrel, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, The three Kings - Albert, Freddy & BB, Buddy Guy, Elmore James, Roy Buchanan, Kirk Hammet, Tom Morello, Ben Harper, Noel Gallagher, Dave Navarro, Jimi Hendrix, Vernon Reid, 'Keef' Richards, Mick Taylor, Izzy Stradlin (great rythms!!), Hilel Slovak (check Uplift Mofo again, you'll see what I mean)

Plus I'd better show patriotism and include a few Aussies in, Tommy Emmanuel, Geoff Achison and Ross Hannaford (sound here, not ability).

But there is one and one alone who can still send shivers down my spine. James Patrick Page!!

Apols to the other 300 or 400 that I've left off, but that is surely enough for one post.

Last edited:
WOW! What a challenge!

In no particular order:

Jimmy Page
Angus/Malcom Young
Jimi Hendrix
Bruce Conte (TOP)
Edward Van Halen.....hulloh!
Ted Nugent.......friggin A
Tom Scholtz (sp?)
Terry Kath (Chicago)
Dickie Betts....duh!
George H.
Slash
et al

this is why drummers get a bad rap.....a thread about favorite guitarists,and not one mention of Randy Rhoads.....*sigh*

So um yea, Randy Rhoads

Over The Mountain would be my favorite track of his

His pupil, Carlos Cavaso of Quiet Riot was also very good

However, there were so many incredible shredders in all of the hair bands - and in 80s metal in general - that it is kinda hard to pick among the litter: DiMartini, Bratta, Schenker, Lee, Campbell, Sykes, Collen, Gillis, Marcello, Becker, etc....

On the other hand, I don't know of many guitar players who know who Vinnie or Buddy Rich are/were - so we may be kind of even...

I guess it's the guitarists' turn, huh? Here's my list, inpo:

Yngwie Malmsteen
Mark Tremonti (Creed, Alter Bridge)
Joe Satriani
Alex Lifeson
Eric Clapton
Don Felder (Eagles)
Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush)
Joe Walsh (James Gang, Eagles)
E.V.H.
John Christ (Danzig, solo)
Rik Emmett (Triumph)
Ted Nugent
Tony MacAlpine (solo,CAB, Planet X, Mars)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Petrucci (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Explorers Club)
Matthias Jabs (Scorpions)
Doyle Bramhall II (Jimmie Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters)
Toni Iommi
Randy Rhoads (Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne)
Brad Gillis (Night Ranger, Ozzy Osbourne)
Tom Scholtz (Boston)
Glenn Tipton & K.K. Downing (Judas Priest)
Dave Murray & Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
Kerry Livgren & Rich Williams (Kansas)
Jimi Hendrix
Neal Schon (Journey, Santana)
Peter Klett (Candlebox)
Chris DeGarmo & Michael Wilton (Queensryche)
Randy Bachman (The Guess Who, BTO)
Steve Vai (Alcatrazz, David Lee Roth, Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake)
Angus Young
Stanley Jordan
Andres Sogovia
John McLaughlin
Allan Holdsworth
Pat Metheny
Pat Travers
Guthrie Govan (Thanks Thaard!)
Chuck Berry (Oops! How could I forget him?!)

Yea, I know...another LOOOOONG list. Wheww...

Last edited:
OMG. I'm gonna add him to my list, Thaard. Wow! He's impressive, man. Great choice. Thanks!
No problemo. I'm just doing my part to make him more famous. He's the best guitarist I've ever seen. You should check out his solo album Erotic Cakes.

No problemo. I'm just doing my part to make him more famous. He's the best guitarist I've ever seen. You should check out his solo album Erotic Cakes.

Will do, again. Thanks. Sounds great!

Thom Yorke; he's the one musician who's had the biggest impact on me, no doubt about it.

Melodically speaking he uses chords you wouldn't find in a lot of commerical music or other music full stop! and more specifically he's taken extended harmony from a Jazz setting and turned it into to something that's very different...you can quite clearly see the link but he and Radiohead have developed upon it and created something that has their stamp on it.

Another thing I love about Thom's playing is his use of chord subsituations. Typically the chords in Radiohead's music don't seem to move in blocks or units, rather melodies are buried together to create the chord so in effect what you have is melodic counterpoint pulling the chords in different directions, but anchoring it down into a direction that makes sense. I find this much more creative and flowing than just playing the appropriate major and minor chords underneath a main melody, it intergrates everything melodically about the songs into one entity. I've not seen many players who are very chordal, play the guitar in a way that seems to fullfil both a rhythmic and important and fundamental melodic function at the same time.

Hope everyone's well,

Kev

Some of my favourites in no particular order:

Adam Jones (Tool, brutally psychedelic)
Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah, haunting)
Marten Hagstrom (Meshuggah, skull-crushingly brutal)
Jonthan Donais (Shadows Fall, epic solos)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater, NOTES THAT BLUR TOGETHER!)
Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders and (touring with) Born of Osiris, 8 strings of awesome)

Back