So....Uncle Larry was right <Sigh>

MaryO

Platinum Member
Yep, I'm admitting it...Lar was right. For a long time he was pushing me to get out and play with others and now I realize why. Although the first band experience wasn't the best...it was experience! And now working on starting another band (this time, not so much estrogen floating around - other than mine, that is). We've been rehearsing every weekend for the last month or so and its going pretty well. Not sure it's the band we'll stick with (bass playing BF and I are playing together in this one - yeah!) but the experience and knowledge I'm gaining is enormous.

Playing with others I'm finding that I experiment with more techniques, beats, fills etc. Still have a long way to go with those fills and getting good smooth rolls and much more but slowly improving. Playing along to tracks, I wasn't as prone to experiment as much as I do playing with others. Things don't always work but every once in a while I'll hit something that just makes me smile and I don't feel the pressure of trying to play some impossible arrangement note for note. Improvisation is a good thing I'm discovering. For this perfectionist, control freak that's a great lesson to learn.

So thanks, Uncle Larry! And, yes, YOU WERE RIGHT, and I've put it in writing so you have proof. Of course, this is a one time thing...don't expect me to admit it again :)

Great to hear Mary - not the Larry being right thing - the playing with others is a good thing thing :)

Now, about buying Old Hyde's roto's ;)

haha buying? Mary if you pm me your address they are yours. You may need new heads and they may be pitted ( I haven't seen them or used them in years) but you can have them.

Hey Mary, that's great. Give yourself the credit though, you actually made the effort, slayed your dragons, and now, you're in the mix, where it all happens. We all just pointed the way forward here, you are the one who walked through the door. So nice going. Great to hear you and the BF are in a band together. It's comforting to know that you have someone in your corner when you trek out.

I can tell by your words that the musical ideas are starting to occur to you. Like instead of trying to replicate something, you are feeling stuff. Your progress is showing again. Your story is inspirational to a lot of lurkers out there. Way to go Mary!!!

This is great to read! Chuffed to bits for you, Mary.

Mary is great at using advice. She's a hard worker too. Look how far she's come. How long has it been Mary since you first started Mary?

Mary is great at using advice. She's a hard worker too. Look how far she's come. How long has it been Mary since you first started Mary?

I started in March of 2011, so about 2.5 years, not so very long ago. Still so much to learn and I'll never be a drumming guru but I still believe that taking that leap to start pursuing the dream is one of the best decisions I've ever made. No regrets!

And Hyde...what a sweet offer on the rotos. I'm afraid we're on opposite sides of the pond however and shipping would probably be more than the trouble's worth or else I'd jump on that offer!

I started in March of 2011, so about 2.5 years, not so very long ago. Still so much to learn and I'll never be a drumming guru but I still believe that taking that leap to start pursuing the dream is one of the best decisions I've ever made. No regrets!

And Hyde...what a sweet offer on the rotos. I'm afraid we're on opposite sides of the pond however and shipping would probably be more than the trouble's worth or else I'd jump on that offer!

Mary, not to worry. pm me an address to ship them UPS.

So thanks, Uncle Larry! And, yes, YOU WERE RIGHT, and I've put it in writing so you have proof. Of course, this is a one time thing...don't expect me to admit it again :)

Seen this Larry? You have to read it, read it and read it again and again and again as it won't happen again :)

Very cool stuff Mary, so please for you, keep it up :)

The generosity of this forum never ceases to amaze me!

Larry has this habit of being right - at least when it comes to drumming-related topics!

The 40 BPM method is brilliant as well, I think that's one that I've got to seriously crack on with at some point. I haven't played properly since April and every now and then I'm nearly motivated to do something about it until I remember that the gear I need is still in my car from the move.

Nevertheless, I find Mary to be a source of humour and also wisdom. Mary, you're right on.

I'm glad you're getting some traction here Mary.Begining and young playes often wonder how to get better at their craft.

Playing as much as you can,and with different and better musicians,is a sure way to do that.

By playing out,you polish your skills,and by working with musicians that are better than you,forces you to raise you own bar.

It sounds like you're having a blast....keep it going.

Steve B

Last edited:
Seen this Larry? You have to read it, read it and read it again and again and again as it won't happen again :)

Very cool stuff Mary, so please for you, keep it up :)

I printed it out and put it on my refrigerator while I did the Church Lady's "superior" dance.

Larry has this habit of being right - at least when it comes to drumming-related topics!

Could be the nicest back handed compliment I ever got. Thanks Dunc!

Mary O's report card. "Plays well with others". BTW, never say never.

Mary O's report card. "Plays well with others". BTW, never say never.

Ha! Maybe we should amend that to "Plays with Others". I never said I did it well...lol.

Back