Jeff Ballard

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I am surprised that a thread has not been started about him. It's a pitty, i saw his name along with brad meldhau's on the Cork jazz fest ( my home jazz fest) in september. But i didn't know how great the guy was, so i spent my €45 on chocolate or something instead. I have been not just listening but watching him a lot recently, has anyone else noticed how strange his ride cymbal technique is?

he seems to use all fingers and forearm, with no wrist....i will try it soon, but it looks very stiff?
Anyway, anyone any opinions on him?

I am surprised that a thread has not been started about him. It's a pitty, i saw his name along with brad meldhau's on the Cork jazz fest ( my home jazz fest) in september. But i didn't know how great the guy was, so i spent my €45 on chocolate or something instead. I have been not just listening but watching him a lot recently, has anyone else noticed how strange his ride cymbal technique is?

he seems to use all fingers and forearm, with no wrist....i will try it soon, but it looks very stiff?
Anyway, anyone any opinions on him?

This is obviously personal but, i believe he is one of the greatest today. I saw him live in Portugal with "Fly", and the experience was so incredible that next day i was still in shock. The control and the levels of dynamics that he played...
Also spoke with him afterwards, very nice man, humble and easy. One of my main influences right now. Check is trio with Fly, theres also some Avishai COhen's, and Chick COrea, also he recordes with Kurt Rosenwinkel, pretty.... nice.

xxxTop Secret unnamed armed Swiss bunker Cymbalholic EYes Only (MK ultra) Matthias Kuert Vid; xxx

or after 3 years at least not allowing it to fall into google cracks I locate it deep in my files (ts) once again and repost it again for posterity

Last edited:
oh yeah./.

Back