DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: "Wake 'n Break" Series

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a laid back linear groove that is broken up between the bass drum, hi-hats, and snare drum. Looking at our feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "e" of 3 while our hi-hats are being chicked on the "and" of 1 and on the "and" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "a" of 1, on "2&", and on the "e&" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "a" of 2 and on "3e". As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1478 - Laid Back Linear Groove With A Trailed Snare
https://youtu.be/QTHXJTLDwFU
Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Hey folks! :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar shuffle that has both dribbled triplets on the snare as well as an anticipated hi-hat accent. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 3 and the "let" of 3 in both bars. Now let's look at the hi-hats. In the first bar we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4. In the second bar, we have notes falling on 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4, with the "let" of 4 being played as an open hi-hat accent. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. In the first bar, we have notes falling on 2 and the "let" of 2 and on 4 and the "let" of 4. In the second bar, the same accents are repeated except we also have ghost notes on the "trip" and "let" of 1. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1479 - Two Bar Shuffle With Dribbled Triplets And An Anticipated Hi-Hat Accent
https://youtu.be/1Cjwicn_8kw
Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Happy Humpday-ay-ay-ay! 🐪 Today's wake 'n break is a boom chick backbeat that utilizes a tamborica to play two different rhythms on four different drums simultaneously. Normally when I label a groove a "boom chick", it refers to the bass drum and hi-hats alternating quarter notes but this time, it refers to the bass drum and hi-hat voicing the backbeat. Taking our feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1&" and "3&" while our hi-hats are falling on 2 and 4. Next, our left hand is playing the tamborica on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our right hand is playing the tamborica on "1&", "2e&", "3&", and on "4e". As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1480 - Boom Chick Backbeat With Two Simultaneous Tamborica Patterns
https://youtu.be/XHv0g7UcFmI
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Hey-ey-ey-ey, folks! :) Back in 1999, I purchased a copy of "Percussion Duets" by Billy Martin and Grant Calvin Weston and one track always stuck with me throughout the years. The piece was entitled "Malabe", named after the late Frankie Malabe, and it has a heavy African vibe. For today's wake 'n break, I decided to interpret the main thematic rhythm for drum set. Taking the toms first, our high tom is falling on "1e" while our floor tom is falling on "3e". Next, our cross stick is falling on the "and" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, the "and" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Moving along to the bass drum, we have notes falling on "3&" and 4 and last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on all of the upbeats or "and's". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1481 - An African Inspired Tom And Cross Stick Groove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=170e...ature=youtu.be
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a 6/8 backbeat that is built on top of the polyrhythm of three against four, with the three being voiced on the hi-hats and four on the bass drum. Taking the feet first, the bass drum is falling on 1, the "&" of 2, 4, and on the "&" of 5. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are falling on 1, 3, and 5. Moving along, the ride bell is being played on 1, the "&" of 2, 3, 4, the "&" of 5, and on 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has an accented note on 4. There is a ghost note in there as well, but I can't hear it on my phone. As always, I hope you dig it and have a great weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1482 - A Polyrhythmic Backbeat In 6/8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DjT2aK5WF0