DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why is jazz drumming still so dominant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
That kind of chauvinism isn't a jazz thing, I'm pretty sure.

I called somebody a little while back, to try and find an emergency bass player.

"Sorry, no I don't know anybody who'd be up to play covers. All the guys I know only want to play originals, and only death metal at that."

So not a jazz thing - it's a dickhead thing.
So you not getting what you want in a hurry makes others a dickhead? Think about that for a second.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

There seems to often be a disconnect in philosophical topics.

When these conversations come up, we really should make clear whether the ideas being expounded upon are about cover tunes or originals.
There's a world of difference in the two.

A jazz drummer might be more adept at rock covers and a rock drummer might be less adept at jazz standards, but when it's original, there are no rules other than agreeing how the songwriter leads.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
So you not getting what you want in a hurry makes others a dickhead? Think about that for a second.
I have zero quibble with people being unavailable. We had a bass player injure his hands on the day of the gig, hence the need for an emergency stand in. I absolutely get that finding somebody at short notice is hard, no quibble whatsoever.

"Geez, sorry, I don't know anybody who could fill in" is a neutral response, but that's not what I got.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Q:Why is jazz drumming still so dominant?
A: It isn't

Q: Why is jazz drumming still so important?
A: Many of the answers in this thread.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
.."Geez, sorry, I don't know anybody who could fill in" is a neutral response, but that's not what I got..

For some people to fill in in a coverband is just not, lets say, that much an attractive thought..

Thats not making someone a dickhead, that just means that someone has his priorities maybe in the right way..
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold
This message has been deleted by Pocket-full-of-gold.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
For some people to fill in in a coverband is just not, lets say, that much an attractive thought..

Thats not making someone a dickhead, that just means that someone has his priorities maybe in the right way..
And again, I have no beef with that whatsoever. Remember I made the point that being dismissive of others' musical choices is not limited to jazz.

All I can say is that if offered the chance of a fun gig, I would leap at it if I thought that I could pull it off. If it was some music that I really couldn't see myself playing, let's say a fill in for a children's entertainment act, I would back out gracefully. Because why denigrate somebody else's musical choices?

Not playing covers doesn't make somebody a dickhead. Not accepting a gig doesn't make somebody a dickhead. Not knowing somebody who could take a gig doesn't make somebody a dickhead.

Being a dickhead does make somebody a dickhead.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post

As a young guy coming up, I was told that I should play all the music that I can play. To think less of somebody else' idea of playing music is, in reality, just somebody being a jerk. Whether or not you think it is or isn't an attractive thought, or if it is or isn't death metal (or whatever it was), is really beside the point and says much more about the person turning it down then it does the person asking.

You can be classy, but if I got that kind of negative denigrating response, guess who I'm not calling the next time around? Music in any town is actually a small business, and everybody needs all the friends they can get - and everybody talks to each other. It's not long when your reputation precedes you. If you're ok with rubbing people the wrong way in response to an offer for a gig, I guess you don't need to be playing with other people.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
..You can be classy, but if I got that kind of negative denigrating response, guess who I'm not calling the next time around? Music in any town is actually a small business, and everybody needs all the friends they can get - and everybody talks to each other. It's not long when your reputation precedes you. If you're ok with rubbing people the wrong way in response to an offer for a gig, I guess you don't need to be playing with other people..

This forum seems to have some sort of, in my opinion misplaced, consensus that all the musicians in the world always should act as being a complete professional, because otherwise the word will go around and they will be doomed as a musician..

I agree with that if someone makes a (semi-) living from being a musician..

But when someone for example only plays once a month at the local bar with a few friends for $50 and a few drinks, then acting as if you need to have a John Robinson mentality for that to me is just a little pathetic..

James needed a bass player and the guy said, quote..:

"Sorry, no I don't know anybody who'd be up to play covers. All the guys I know only want to play originals, and only death metal at that."

To me, thats being clear..Not being a dickhead, but just being clear..

For some Metal guys that i have known in my life, their music is a very serious thing and a way of life..For them, playing an evening with a coverband would not be a nice gig, but hell on earth..They are not busy with becoming an allround musician that can be called for any gig..Actually, they would hate to become such a musician..

And such a statement as 'guess who i am not going to call again next time', will not mean that much to them, because guess what, they are not even wanting to recieve that call..

Some people play only for their passion, with a very select group of people for a very select audience and they will never earn a dollar with that..But for them is more important to be true to their passion and to stay true to their passion and money they will make with a normal job..

I have respect for that..
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Honestly, Metal in a lot of ways is almost the modern extension of Jazz. (Edit: Well some styles of Metal at least)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

I think in the US, blues are probably the most popular amongst drummers, then jazz, and rock. Rock is initially attractive, but it doesn't make sense for amateurs, there just aren't that many venues that make sense to have rock equipment and dynamics.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
I think in the US, blues are probably the most popular amongst drummers, then jazz, and rock. Rock is initially attractive, but it doesn't make sense for amateurs, there just aren't that many venues that make sense to have rock equipment and dynamics.
Not sure if I agree with this one, maybe depends on where you live but I don't know if I'd say that Blues is the most popular around here.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
Exact opposite where I live. Blues is not very popular. Many people like blues, but it is not the most popular music to put on for owners of bars and clubs. Actually classic rock or pop is the norm.

Not sure what you mean by 'rock equipment and dynamics'. The equipment to make rock music is the same as jazz or blues, and dynamics is in all music. Admittedly, most rock is louder.