Help with a Practice Routine

Hey all. I've been drumming for a little under a year now while taking lessons once per week. I'm happy with the progress I've made so far but I seem to be hitting a wall lately. My practice routine is totally unorganized and less frequent these days. I'm looking to dedicate 30-45 minutes each day to a structured routine. What are some of your routines and exercises that you would recommend? My goal is to become a solid versatile rock drummer. I'd like to focus on a select few essential rudiments and really nail those down (don't want to spread myself too thin with 20 different rudiments). Any advice would be great!

I would suggest you include some rock play along in your routine. Pick out a song that
you would like to work on. Learn the song structure, grooves, fills, etc. Record your progress
so you know what things you need to improve on. With regards to rudiments I would suggest
you start with singles, doubles and the paradiddle family. Have fun!

I need to ask the obvious question since you mentioned you are taking lessons.... Have you discussed this with your teacher?

For as many people as you will ask, you are almost going to get as many differing answers and opinions.

At the basic level hand work is critical. Books like Stick Control and various Snare Drum Book 1 studies have been around forever with proven track records. Most of the snare drum study books work you consistently and methodically through the development of rudiments and applying them in context.

Drum set books come in all sorts of shapes and sizes as well for developing coordination. Again, assuming you are working with a regarded qualified teacher, what he/she uses for their own resources would probably be best to start with.

There is only one thing anyone should universally recommend to a beginner who already has a bit of personal practice under his belt: join a band!

There are some things you just can't learn outside of an ensemble context. It's very daunting to learn "the drum set", and it may be why you're losing focus. Once you have some beginner basics handled, it's much easier to learn to play a song or two at a time, with real musicians, and focus on the challenges that playing with others and playing the song present. Is there any music teaching studio that offers group instruction near you? If so, you'll probably have to be flexible with what songs you're willing to play. You'll learn to function in a band, you'll learn how to learn songs, you'll meet other musicians, and you'll go twice as far, twice as fast, compared with just practicing by yourself.

This is a topic I'm very interested in! It took me a while to get settled into a solid practice routine. I've written a little about how I practice here: http://wp.me/p3OSqd-5U
I'm still using roughly this pattern for my "focused practice", and also playing along to a song or two at the beginning (to get me going) or at the end (if I'm wired and want to keep playing) or both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrIlbiDg0Y

This video covers some important factors, even though he is a guitar teacher everything he talks about in that video applies to any instrument.

1. Practice what you can't do, not what you can.

2. Never practice making a mistake. Get it right.

3. Start slowly and get it right before you speed up.

4. Using a timer saves time.

5. Focus on one element of practice at a time.

6. Try and practice a little every day, rather than practising a lot all on one day..

7. Keep track of your practice: use a practice schedule..

8. If it sounds good, it is good!

9. Playing and Practicing are very different, don't confuse them.

10. The more you think, the more you stink! Practice until it becomes instinctive.
(This is regarding playing NOT practicing. You are supposed to think a lot while practicing but not while playing.)

Well...

1 - Don't be intimidated by people when they say 'I practised for 20,000,000 hours today' - If you practice well, it will show in your playing, you wont need to tell people you have.

2 - Split your practice up. If your looking at 45 mins, I would do something like this

• 5 mins - Warm up - Big Strokes - Free stroke (look it up on youtube)
    10 mins - Sticking Patterns or rudiments, increase tempo by 5 bpm every 2 mins
    10 mins - Hand and foot coordination e.g. working with doubles between hands and feet round the kit keeping quarters on hi-hat with left foot. Increase tempo by 5 bpm every 2 mins
    10 mins - Groove exercises - Work on your groove playing - Time Functioning Patterns by Gary Chaffee is a great book
    10 Mins - Chart Reading/Styles/Play along. Use this time to work on sight reading, learning some new styles like Latin Styles or Jazz or just play along with a song

Always stick to the times you've stated. If you run over, just stop. Pick it up next time

3 - ALWAYS practice with a metronome - if you don't have one, get one

4 - Keep a practice diary. Take off from where you left off, so if you finished at 85 bpm last time, try starting at 80 bpm next time, increasing your start position by 5 bpm (or where you're comfortable) each time. Not only will keeping track improve your practice, but it will also teach you not to practice the same thing.

5 - Get some good Literature. I have lots of drumming books. I take little snippets from each. Not only does this unlock your potential, but it also gives you an insight into the different ways of playing. If you struggle with the reading, slow it down and work it out, or get your teacher to help

6 - Be patient and keep it up. 45 mins a day is better than nothing and remember, everyone started somewhere.

Finally - Don't let people get to you. There will be players who will chop all over and make you feel like an ant in drumming, but remember, they play to satisfy their ego, you should play to make a difference and make some damn good music!

Peace

Back