Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce

When you make tomato sauce you have to peel the tomatoes and slowly cook them with a little olive oil, and I mean slowly. It can take awhile. The classic Sunday Gravy takes all day to cook. The tomatoes need to break down. Chunks of tomatoes in tomato sauce is disgusting, it's just not right at all.

Tomato sauce is nothing to laugh about, it's nothing to be taken lightly. It's damned important. I know this because my first wife was Italian. She could definitely make some good sauce but, man, her mother could cook food that would would make you swoon.

Sunday at my mother in law's house was a very big deal. Damn, the food that came out of that kitchen!

Tomato sauce is not to be taken lightly.

I love stewed tomato chunks! The store bought kind or anything in a store bought sauce aren't any good, but have you guys ever had chili with big chunks of stewed tomatoes in it? Fresh, steaming chili mmmmm.

Now what i can't stand are mushrooms!!! Fungus=nasty!

Tomato chunks don't bother me at all. They add texture.

Are you chunk haters that way about mashed potatoes too? I like chunks there too. I'm not as crazy about potatoes (or tomato sauce) that can be ingested via straw or beerbong....

Eww lumpy potatos?
Well I guess if I like chunky tomato then I shouldn't be freaked out about lumpy potatos.

Bob after re reding your JAW banana thing I just got it.

They have pills for that.

This is the best thread in a while

Tomato sauce is not to be taken lightly.
100% agreed!
It is serious business.
I am not Italian, but I grew up in an Italian neighborhood.
I learned to respect the tomato and the grape at an early age.

When I don't have time to peel my own tomato's, I find that the crushed canned tomato's from Contadina are OK for a quick sauce without chunks.

Tomato chunks don't bother me at all. They add texture.

Are you chunk haters that way about mashed potatoes too? I like chunks there too. I'm not as crazy about potatoes (or tomato sauce) that can be ingested via straw or beerbong....
Same way about mashed, There had better not be any chunks in my mashed spuds!

Tomato chunks in chile are OK, because the texture of the beans allows for this. Same with salsa, small chunks are ok in salsa, no large ones though!

When my son returned from Afghanistan, one of the first things that he asked me was if I would make my home made sauce.
I used to make sauce once a week for my kids when they were young.
I guess that it made an impression on them.

Same way about mashed, There had better not be any chunks in my mashed spuds!

Tomato chunks in chile are OK, because the texture of the beans allows for this. Same with salsa, small chunks are ok in salsa, no large ones though!

I like tomatoe chunks, but beans are not welcome in my chili - this is no place for beans!
(He says with a smile)

Ok, I dont like everything.

I cant take Caraway and Fennel seeds... VILE WEEDS!.
Me too, I hate them!
I hate them as much as I hate big tomato chunks and flavored vodka!
An Appletini! What crap!
I also hate Sushi! Fish should be cooked!

I'm by no means a fussy eater, but I will never support putting sugar (or sauces with significant amounts of sugar) on meat.

I never add sugar or salt to any food that I prepare.
I don't even add sugar to coffee.
I regard sugar and salt as bastard spices that do not enhance the flavor of food. They only disguise the taste.
If you add enough sugar or salt to dog crap it would probably taste good!

No Salt?.
Yeah, you lost me there. Salt is an absolute must. Almost always.

Or maybe you lost me with the dog crap.

No, I think both.

Plus, Sugar definately has its places and In some sauces in small quantities its good.
Many years ago I slowly cut out adding salt and sugar in the food that I prepared.
I soon began to notice that food that I didn't prepare tasted sweet and/or salty.
This is because processed food almost always contains salt or sugar because it is a cheap and easy way for food companies to make food taste good.
I now only buy low salt and low sugar products when I buy processed food.
I have adapted to a low salt and sugar diet and taste preference.

The practice of salting and sugaring food began as a means to preserve food back when refrigeration was not invented.
It is no longer needed today.
Restaurants add tons of salt, sugar, and butter to their food because people think that it taste good that way.
I only eat in restaurants that prepare diet food.

If you do as I did and you slowly cut salt and sugar from your diet you will feel the same way.
You will learn how to experience the real wonderful taste of food as it should be.

Last edited:
I like my cake without any sugar at all. I call it bread. I'm going for that "not modified" taste as well.
Yes, I eat cake and sweets sometimes.
I also eat salted potato chips sometimes. Every now and then I have a Hamburger with Fries!
The thing is that I eat sugar and salt in moderation.
When everything that you eat and drink is loaded with added salt and sugar then it becomes a problem. Same goes for fat.
Americans are the fattest people on earth!
We also lead the world in diseases that are associated with over consumption of Salt, Sugar, and Fat!

I buy bread that has low salt and sugar in the dough.
Many breads are loaded with salt and sugar.

Back