What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

GakkiLove

I've been looking for right heads for my little rhythm traveler.

Today I bought a 12" pinstripe for my upper tom and it sounded totally different from the head provided with the drum set.

With simple tuning, I had got an excellent sound on the upper tom.

Now, since I couldn't find a 14" pinstripe for my lower tom, and a 20" powerstroke 3 for my bass, I need to buy it online.

However now I start to have some questions. What type of powerstroke 3 should I buy? Clear or coated? Should I even buy a powerstroke 4 because my reso head has been removed?

I'm pretty sure I will keep using pinstripe series for my lower tom but for bass I hesitated.

Please give me some solid advice for choosing my bass drum batter head.

(Please note that my reso head has been removed and won't be re-installed onto the drum soon, I will get a mic for the bass drum in about 2 months tho.)

(Please also note that my band room is only 300 sq. feet big)

I would get what you need to install a resonant head on the bass drum.
The hardware is available online.
Measure the distance between the holes for the lugs and buy 6 lugs that fit the hole pattern.
Buy a hoop and 6 bass drum tension rods.
The resonant head is important for good sound.
Clear head on the batter for more volume.

Get another Pinstripe online for the floor tom to match.

I would get what you need to install a resonant head on the bass drum.
The hardware is available online.
Measure the distance between the holes for the lugs and buy 6 lugs that fit the hole pattern.
Buy a hoop and 6 bass drum tension rods.
The resonant head is important for good sound.
Clear head on the batter for more volume.

Get another Pinstripe online for the floor tom to match.
What's your advice on the reso head of the bass drum then?

I'd go with a clear P3. I think that's more the sound you're after (from prior threads). That little RT kick needs all the help it can get. A clear P3 will give you more "attack" ... a coated, you'll be sounding more like a vintage 3 ply guy.​
I'd also recommend putting a reso back on the drum. You can still put a mic. on it, and if need be, port the reso, to get the mic. inside the kick. Here's a RT with a reso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvmke3vU3o .... doesn't sound bad. Throw a mic. on it, and it's gonna boom pretty good.​
What's your advice on the reso head of the bass drum then?
I'd run an Ambassador, smooth white ... or black.​

I'd go with a clear P3. I think that's more the sound you're after (from prior threads). That little RT kick needs all the help it can get. A clear P3 will give you more "attack" ... a coated, you'll be sounding more like a vintage 3 ply guy.​
I'd also recommend putting a reso back on the drum. You can still put a mic. on it, and if need be, port the reso, to get the mic. inside the kick. Here's a RT with a reso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvmke3vU3o .... doesn't sound bad. Throw a mic. on it, and it's gonna boom pretty good.​
I'd run an Ambassador, smooth white ... or black.​
Ok, I will try to get my reso back onto the bass drum.

In Hong Kong (somewhere close to china), it's hard to find 20" bass drum heads. It seems that I still have a lot work to do.

(off-topic) Today I bought a head set which claimed to reduce the noise frequency.

It's definitely the best toy of 2011. Having it on my head I can hear my drums clearly and knowing my mistakes clearly.

gUd5B.jpg

Good choice on the Pinstripes. I personally think an Aquarian SuperKick 2 is one of the best drumheads ever made. I would recommend a clear SK2 for the batter and a Remo Smooth White Powerstroke 4. Snare would be nice with an Aquarian Studio-X or Hi-Performance.

Back