Travis Barker

The reason Blink-182 was popular is because it had Travis Barker in it, not the other way around.

When Travis came into the band and replaced their old drummer, Scott Raynor...Travis wasn't even that big yet. Travis alone isn't the reason why Blink was so big.

When Travis came into the band and replaced their old drummer, Scott Raynor...Travis wasn't even that big yet. Travis alone isn't the reason why Blink was so big.

Yes, but after that, I think Travis was the main reason for the band's success.

I was watching this video of Buddy Rich doing a solo or something, and some of the comments below were like, "Travis Barker could beat his butt (the censored word) if Buddy was still alive..." and all this junk. That is what makes me mad is when non-drummers compare Barker to the old school drummers like Buddy and say that Travis can beat him. You can't compare different genres of music. Of course Travis would be better at pop and rock then Buddy, but Buddy has got him down on the old school kind of music like jazz.
Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

But yeah Travis is a really good drummer, and definably creative. He can create the new stuff, but the drummers that have seen him play the stuff can probably play the same stuff. The only plus for Travis is that HE created the grooves and stuff. If that makes sense...tell me if it doesn't and I will try to explain better.

I was watching this video of Buddy Rich doing a solo or something, and some of the comments below were like, "Travis Barker could beat his butt (the censored word) if Buddy was still alive..." and all this junk. That is what makes me mad is when non-drummers compare Barker to the old school drummers like Buddy and say that Travis can beat him. You can't compare different genres of music. Of course Travis would be better at pop and rock then Buddy, but Buddy has got him down on the old school kind of music like jazz.
Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

But yeah Travis is a really good drummer, and definably creative. He can create the new stuff, but the drummers that have seen him play the stuff can probably play the same stuff. The only plus for Travis is that HE created the grooves and stuff. If that makes sense...tell me if it doesn't and I will try to explain better.

Most drummers cringe at the thought of comparing these guys. You can't.

His work with the Aquabats is absolutly awesome. Other then that, hee sucks. Check out "The Cat with 2 heads".

why does everyone fight over travis barker "HES AMAZING" "HE HAS NO TALENT IM BETTER THEN HIM" who cares everyone has an opinion of people and fighting over whos better and whos worse is pointless because you will still have those people who hate or love him i personally like him. i just think its stupid the man plays drums and loves it and who cares if he plays hard hes into and hes just having fun isnt that what your supposed to do when you drum have fun and if drum for other reasons and dont have fun playing i dont think you should play drums because as serious as i am for drumming getting better and making music in my band i always have fun imo thats the most important aspect of drumming. thats my two cents and did you guys here BLINK182 is back im so pumped.

Anybody know how he's doing since the accident? Has he recovered to the point of returning to the drums?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks. ;-)

Anybody know how he's doing since the accident? Has he recovered to the point of returning to the drums?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks. ;-)

as far as I know he got to the point where he was playing again, infact he did a few shows with DJ-AM, but then he had to go back into the hospital because of some nerve damaged that left his fingers numb. This resulted in another surgury (which you could see his arm in a sling at the grammy presentation) and now hes got 8 weeks or so to recover before hopping back behind the kit...im excited though because blink is back and I cant wait to see their new work/tour...

also check out his myspace page for more info.. he posted pics and a detailed explanation of what happened to his arm most reciently.

cheers

as far as I know he got to the point where he was playing again, infact he did a few shows with DJ-AM, but then he had to go back into the hospital because of some nerve damaged that left his fingers numb. This resulted in another surgury (which you could see his arm in a sling at the grammy presentation) and now hes got 8 weeks or so to recover before hopping back behind the kit...im excited though because blink is back and I cant wait to see their new work/tour...

also check out his myspace page for more info.. he posted pics and a detailed explanation of what happened to his arm most reciently.

cheers

Really? That's good to hear about TB. Hope he's back to 100% soon.

And to hear that Blink is back...WOW! This should be very interesting.

Thanks, beats! ;-)

i'm not going to debate whether he is a great drummer or not because as that has been stated, it's all a matter of opinion. fact of the matter is; his hands are very fast, he's very good with his footwork, and he is also very good at throwing accents and stuff into a song to break up the monotany that is typically associated with punk or pop-punk music.

if you want to compare him, then compare him to other drummers of his genre. he's famous because he goes above and beyond the basics. 95% of punk and pop punk drummers don't even attempt to vary from the gospel double time (as it relates to punk). and with the remaining 5%, he takes the cake. sure everybody can play a fast beat, vids are all over youtube of gerald heyward, dave weckl, vinnie coluta (i grossley misspelled that) doing this beat, but everyone else didn't get famous from doing it. he did. which goes to say something.

All I want to say is Travis was my introduction to the drumset. Ever since I was little I've known I've wanted to play music. It was the power rangers theme song that gave me that idea (isn't that just an awesome theme song?). But it wasn't until around the 7th grade where I started listening to Blink and just automatically picked travis out from the mix. The dude totally went above and beyond the call of duty for his genre without making it too far fetched to distract you, and it so worked.

And now I'll be playing with my band and just totally doing work on the drums and, if we decided to do live recording of the practice, I will be listening to it realizing how much of an inspiration he was and is on me. I can literally pick out a snare bass drum lead-up and say, "wow, that's so travis barker."

Whether or not you think he's over-rated he has been a HUGE inspiration to so many drummers.

And I know what you guys are thinking....

... and yes, when I heard blink was back I DID in fact cry.

All I want to say is Travis was my introduction to the drumset. Ever since I was little I've known I've wanted to play music. It was the power rangers theme song that gave me that idea (isn't that just an awesome theme song?). But it wasn't until around the 7th grade where I started listening to Blink and just automatically picked travis out from the mix. The dude totally went above and beyond the call of duty for his genre without making it too far fetched to distract you, and it so worked.

And now I'll be playing with my band and just totally doing work on the drums and, if we decided to do live recording of the practice, I will be listening to it realizing how much of an inspiration he was and is on me. I can literally pick out a snare bass drum lead-up and say, "wow, that's so travis barker."

Whether or not you think he's over-rated he has been a HUGE inspiration to so many drummers.

And I know what you guys are thinking....

... and yes, when I heard blink was back I DID in fact cry.

You and I are in the same boat as far as, Travis being the main reason you got heavy into drumming. But what I like so much him is that when you do some reserach, and listen to interviews, he lists his drumming heroes as: gadd, chambers, buddy rich, lombardo, cobham, weckl and on and on... the significance of this is that when these "new to drums" drummers get infected with Travis and learn who he looked up to, they will inturn begin to see what inspired Travis and in turn aspire to new heights... (I.E they get hooked on the greats)... that is why I like Travis so much....he is a great influence musically on new drummers.

also he stresses the importance of reading/writing music and rudiments etc...

I still think it's entirely ridiculous how many people find Travis Barker so "overrated". I think that fact in itself is "overrated". He deserves every bit of recognition he gets. He's collaborated with so many hip-hop artists out there, he's had his own reality show, he runs a clothing line (going on strong for 10 years now). Oh and not to mention...he's in the biggest punk rock band in the world. Blink 182 is the very genesis of the punk rock scene today. I can't even begin to explain how big they are in European countries, let alone the U.S.

Blink-182, 17 years deep in their legacy.

The only good thing about Travis Barker is that he gets people in to drumming. The fact that he runs a clothing line or is in a famous group does NOT make him a better drummer, however. He is not a very skilled drummer, per se, but he does seem to be feeling the music that he plays, and that makes appear a bit more skillful to the non-drummer. I disagree with the above poster as I think that he is extremely overrated, but that is not Travis' fault, it is the people who talk about how good he is.

I still think it's entirely ridiculous how many people find Travis Barker so "overrated". I think that fact in itself is "overrated". He deserves every bit of recognition he gets. He's collaborated with so many hip-hop artists out there, he's had his own reality show, he runs a clothing line (going on strong for 10 years now). Oh and not to mention...he's in the biggest punk rock band in the world. Blink 182 is the very genesis of the punk rock scene today. I can't even begin to explain how big they are in European countries, let alone the U.S.

Blink-182, 17 years deep in their legacy.

Excuse me sir, Blink aren't punk rock, not saying they're bad but they're not punk in it's definition

Excuse me sir, Blink aren't punk rock, not saying they're bad but they're not punk in it's definition

hahaha. Sir, are you kidding me?!?

PLEASE tell me your joking. Their last album, the self-titled album, was a big departure from all previous albums, as it was darker, and heavier influenced, but without a doubt remains in the punk rock genre.

Back