Hitting yourself while playing drums...

At some point, I hit the snare, and the stick broke, bouncing the tip directly into my eye.

Had a similar experience with a nylon tip that flew off. Not nearly as much damage by the sound of it (christ it hurt, but no bruising etc), but pretty much parted company with nylon on the spot as a result.

Used to be the face when I was in a heavier band and had less experience. Didn't play so much then, have started playing a lot recently. Filmed myself rehearsing the other week, noticed a leftover of the face thing where occasionally my head/face will make sure it's out the way so have been working on eliminating that since. Filming yourself playing is the bomb. Now people won't think I'm scared of drum rolls.

Other than that, my tendancy to mess with drum height and kit arrangement some times reveals mid song successive rimshots that require a simultaneous blow to the inner thy to get the correct angle. That and trapping fingers/skin in collapsing stands.

You've gotta be tough to play drums.

I've taken the top of my knuckle off on my hi-hats before. there was blood everywhere. I've also hit myself in the eyes, hands knees and punched rims.
The second most painful though (Hi-hat to knuckles is 1st) is when My bass drum beater came back and hit me on the top of my foot. Don't know how I did it though

Wow what a bunch of clutzes! :) JK...

Imagine if OSHA reads this (For non Yanks, Occupational Safety and Health Administration)

They'd step in and require ear and eye protection, maybe even a facemask for the ugly drummers. Sticks are ya still here?

I haven't had pain in a long time. I hit my thumbnail once dead on with a nylon tip in the 80's. All that velocity concentrated on 1 square millimeter of nerve endings. I will say that the broken stick to the eye is a real danger....

See I just now got an idea for a safety stick. You know how they have safety glass in automobiles? A safety stick would break in a hundred little cubes lol.

Kinda coincidental this thread comes up, as I hurt myself quite badly at last weekend's gig. It's rare for me to hit a finger or some similar misjudgement, but on this occasion, the injury wasn't striking the errant finger, it's what it lead to :( Directly after striking my left hand finger, I go for a left hand crash. No big deal normally, but the finger strike caused me to tense up + change wrist orientation, then I put my wrist out on the strike. Man, did it click, even the bass player heard it mid song.

I finished the song, just, but then had to run to the toilets & run cold water on the joint for a couple of minutes. The singer just had to keep up his blah blah for a while longer. I finished the rest of the set in cruise mode :( Still swollen now!

Kinda coincidental this thread comes up, as I hurt myself quite badly at last weekend's gig. It's rare for me to hit a finger or some similar misjudgement, but on this occasion, the injury wasn't striking the errant finger, it's what it lead to :( Directly after striking my left hand finger, I go for a left hand crash. No big deal normally, but the finger strike caused me to tense up + change wrist orientation, then I put my wrist out on the strike. Man, did it click, even the bass player heard it mid song.

I finished the song, just, but then had to run to the toilets & run cold water on the joint for a couple of minutes. The singer just had to keep up his blah blah for a while longer. I finished the rest of the set in cruise mode :( Still swollen now!

that honestly sounds awful, way worse than simply hitting yourself!

i only have a few instances of hitting myself, luckily i dont do it often

a couple days ago i was goofing off playing blink 182s "first date" during band practice, and i came down for one of those snare fills and PUNCHED my snare rim, i had a huge blood blister. which only got worse, cause i did the same thing in a later song >_<

One time i had to sneeze and i guess it was pretty 'violent' because i jerked my head forward at the same time as i brought my drumstick up and nailed myself across the face.

Geez Andy, sounds bad indeed, I hope you'll be OK, I twisted my wrist once at work, it took ages for the pain and discomfort to fully disappear :(

It's not happened in years for me but the worst has got to be hitting yourself in the eye. Can still remember the pain even now. Man that hurts.

Always cutting myself though, just yesterday I unpacked my gigging cymbals to find my blood on them. Didn't even realise I'd cut myself at the last show. Made sure to mention it to the other half to show how manly I am...

have gone through many pairs of glasses. smashed my index into metal rim on snare, on a super flam , power moment. pretty soon blood everywhere and an immediate bruise. Looks like I painted by throwing blood on a wall.

..also

the odd hitting to the temple moment.

boxers martial artists know that temple shots aren't awesome.

Stick split, didn't realize it and sliced open my finger with a jagged promark

Last edited:
way back when i had first started drumming i smashed myself in the eye with a stick so hard i almost passed out/vomited from the pain. i had a black spot in my vision for a couple weeks afterwards.

Haha! It happens to me quite a lot.
Way too often I accidently slap my face (!) with the stick on its way down to hit a drum or a cymbal. Hurts like f**k.

Well that happens a lot of times
i also perform stick tricks while playing sometimes
and one improper throw,head gone,timing gone hahah

Ouch! These stories are making me cringe. I think I’m going start wearing full body armour any time I pick up sticks.

Geez Andy, sounds bad indeed, I hope you'll be OK, I twisted my wrist once at work, it took ages for the pain and discomfort to fully disappear :(
I'm fine Henri, but I do have an ongoing weakness in that wrist. It's not the first time I've hurt it, but this time it was extremely painful. Although I avoid upsetting the gig vibe at almost all costs, on this occasion, I knew that if I didn't get it cooled down, the damage would have been much worse. It's a venue where we can almost do no wrong, so all was cool :)

6 or 7 years ago I went to choke a cymbal and sliced my finger open on it, but that's about the worst thing that's happened. Occasionally I'll whap my hand or kneecap Bill Cosby-style, but you have to just laugh and keep playing, and try not to get too red in the face!

Heheh yeah it doesn't feel too good. I was playing the big drum solo in Wipeout (You know, the tom rolls) and hit myself RIGHT in the nose.

Back