Gene Krupa tribute kit

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Ok, my absolute fav drummer as most people know is Gene Krupa. Now, I really want to make a kind of tribute kit, that i can gig a lot etc. I was thinking of just snapping up a vintage slingy but i have so much respect for the kits that i think shoving it in the back of a polo twice a week is just too much for it. So i was wondering about a few other kit ideas, what do you guys think would be best?

1) Getting carrera vintage series and coated in WMP
2) Gretsch catalina rock in VMP and then a vintage snare. Issue here is its not a pro kits, the only catalinas that were consider professional were the catalina elites. No pros on there roster that i can see use catalina either.
3) Gretsch Brooklyn but they only do up to 22x18 which im not fond of.

Other than that i couldnt think of much. All i know is i want his 24x14 bass drum and 16x16 floor. Dont mind if its 12x8 or 13x9 for the rack as i have pics of him using both. Thanks for any help.

Check out Stone Custom drums, they bought the old Slingerland shell making equipment ( moulds etc.). They make excellent shells and your kit will have a Slingerland Legacy more than the aforementioned choices. You could even get the reissue Radio King lugs as well.

You can also keep your eye out for one of the sadly discontinued Gibson Nashville Slingerland Gene Krupa tribute kits.

Try this for your sizes. Sounds like a perfect match for 899.00. Catalina Club Rock. finish is white chocolate. Great looking

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 10.51.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 10.51.08 PM.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 10.54.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 10.54.07 PM.png
    208 KB · Views: 215
Try this for your sizes. Sounds like a perfect match for 899.00. Catalina Club Rock. finish is white chocolate. Great looking

Agreed but the vintage marine finish would be more appropriate for Krupa. Catalina Clubs may not be "pro" but don't let that get to you. They are good drums. I'm sure those sizes sound killer. With quality heads of course.

Attachments

• cc1-vmp_lg.jpg
    cc1-vmp_lg.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 186
The catalina in vmp and those sizes seems perfect actually. Looked on artist roster and a fair few pros are actually using catalinas... and i know tonnes of pros use the cat jazz from what i read on a forum search... sounds like they are good kits. I read somewhere they are actually advertised as "semi-pro" whatever that means....

Tuned properly they will sound fine and if taken care of will last forever.

Back