Mind over matter

614Drums

Well lets see, a bit ago I made one of the most incoherent rants about my issues with drumming... After that day I decided to take a few weeks off from drums, no more watching people that are really good on youtube, no more thinking about drums; it was time to wipe the slate clean.

[time-laps] About 3 weeks go by and I sit down at the throne, a little bit of anxiety hits me but I push it down and play. Nothing too complex, nothing crazy just some nice and relaxing rock beats, slowly progressing to jazz and finally my old stomping grounds metal.

In pretty much every post on here I read that generic response "just start really really slowly," I never really gave much mind to these statements until this point. Turns out that they're all right... I started playing my double pedal about as slow humanly possible.

I would continue this pattern of playing slowly for hours at a time, for days.
Making sure that each hit was nice and solid a real hard hit. Every once-in-a-while I would fall back into my old bad habits, but I'd correct it and continue playing slowly and properly.

I'm now back to being able to play just about everything I need to be able to for my genre.

I'm still not really sure as to why I went haywire and decided to stop being able to play even the most basic of double pedal patterns, but thankfully because of DW I'm back =]

Moral of the story is, practice doesn't make perfect it makes permanent and play slowly until you've got it down!

Back