DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Default Never owned or even tried DB pedal

So, as it states, I've never even tried a double bass pedal, nor owned one. I'm going to buy one in the relatively near future. I'm not going to ask about what's best. I saw the sticky, lol. Besides that, I have my own equipment favorites and I research enough, I can figure out what level of quality I'll go after.

With that said, do you have any recommendations as far as practicing and whatnot? I'm sure it's about the same as anything else I've ever done on the kit. Start slow, do it over and over, and slowly it will come. Honestly, I'm NO JAZZ musician. I watch Gadd and Weckyl (sp?), etc. . .I'm so enthralled in how they play. I love it. I have great respect for metal/heavy rock drummers that do a lot of double bass work, but I don't enjoy much of that music anymore.

It'll be for fun, versatility, and maybe saving my right shin some, wow, lol.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Never owned or even tried DB pedal

I bought my first double pedal about five years ago. I don't use it a whole lot in my normal musical ventures, but I practice it at home and it's a good tool to have in your toolbox. A musician I know who is writing some new material for an album is going to include some progressive and metal elements. He wants me to play drums on the recording, so I'm hoping I can put the double pedal to use when the time comes.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I bought my first double pedal about five years ago. I don't use it a whole lot in my normal musical ventures, but I practice it at home and it's a good tool to have in your toolbox. A musician I know who is writing some new material for an album is going to include some progressive and metal elements. He wants me to play drums on the recording, so I'm hoping I can put the double pedal to use when the time comes.
That's awesome! See, I want the option, the ability. If I were in a band right now, I'd prefer a bluesy, maybe rock cover band anyhow. Nothing extreme. Double bass seems extreme to me because of the genres you usually hear it used in.

Actually recording music. So fun man. Enjoy that. I miss those situations. I wish I had learned to record/produce music years ago.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

I would recommend how to play eighth notes with both feet (the cliche "budda budda budda"), and quads (two notes on the floor tom, two notes on bass).

My most common double bass lick is a quick 16th note paradiddle on the feet RLRR with the last R landing on the backbeat (often coupled with a cymbal hit). It's subtle and doesn't sound out of place in music that traditionally doesn't use double kick.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Your slave foot will have a lot of catching up to do. Spend time playing songs with that foot instead of your strong one.

And for building pedal control, I don't think anything beats practicing doubles on the weak foot.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I would recommend how to play eighth notes with both feet (the cliche "budda budda budda"), and quads (two notes on the floor tom, two notes on bass).

My most common double bass lick is a quick 16th note paradiddle on the feet RLRR with the last R landing on the backbeat (often coupled with a cymbal hit). It's subtle and doesn't sound out of place in music that traditionally doesn't use double kick.
Al, thank you sir! I will definitely try that at some point. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
Your slave foot will have a lot of catching up to do. Spend time playing songs with that foot instead of your strong one.

And for building pedal control, I don't think anything beats practicing doubles on the weak foot.
. . . .My left foot is going to be WAY behind. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

Practice rudiments with your feet. You can do this now with just a hi hat and kick. Play straight time with your hands while doing this. It will help improve your limb independence and get you ahead of the game for when you get the pedal. Also, it makes for some cool sounding beats. Remember, if your hands can do it, so can your feet.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 AM
Administrator - Mayor

One book you may consider, is Dom Famularo's , The Weaker Side. It is a great resource for both hands and feet. Start with easy exercises and then graduate to more difficult and then add speed.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Practice rudiments with your feet. You can do this now with just a hi hat and kick. Play straight time with your hands while doing this. It will help improve your limb independence and get you ahead of the game for when you get the pedal. Also, it makes for some cool sounding beats. Remember, if your hands can do it, so can your feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
One book you may consider, is Dom Famularo's , The Weaker Side. It is a great resource for both hands and feet. Start with easy exercises and then graduate to more difficult and then add speed.
Thanks guys. I will definitely be working on rudiments with my feet for sure. Looks like an interesting book for me to check out.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

I decided on a used DW 7000 double bass pedal. Got it for less than $100. I didn't want to spend $140 on a new pedal with questionable results, and I didn't want to spend over $200 on my first DB pedal. We'll see how it goes.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
I decided on a used DW 7000 double bass pedal. Got it for less than $100. I didn't want to spend $140 on a new pedal with questionable results, and I didn't want to spend over $200 on my first DB pedal. We'll see how it goes.
Dude you scored a pretty bad ass pedal to learn on. It should provide you many good years of service.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Dude you scored a pretty bad ass pedal to learn on. It should provide you many good years of service.
I had a single DW 3000. MAN, what a pedal, loved it.

I am definitely looking forward to it! I've been trying to figure out what they went for new, and if they even make them anymore. I can't find a new price anywhere.