DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Default EQ3 and EMAD reso - huge difference!

OK, so I've been using EMAD2/EMAD reso combination for a few years, been happy with it. The EMAD reso was older model with detachable foam ring around port hole, which I've never used. It has been damaged and ripped, and I bought new reso, EQ3 this time, since it's basically the same head as EMAD reso without dampening around hole- 10mil, port hole, dampening ring inside - same. I tuned it same as old head, didn't changed anything around batter head and pedal, and got huuuge difference - boomy sound, pedal rebound, totally new sound and feel. I've loosened the reso a bit to get some better sound, since I was at the gig, but rebound was so uncomfortable my leg cramped at the end of the gig. I've not used to it. What is the problem here?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: EQ3 and EMAD reso - huge difference!

I like the EQ3 batter and EQ1 reso, but one of my Mapex bass drums has an EQ3 reso. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited by Drumolator; 01-14-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Maybe you don’t understand, but I was trying to explain that I got huge difference in sound and feel in a BAD way, with changing bassicaly the same head. How could that happen?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 PM

The foam around the port hole on the EMAD reso is responsible for quite a bit of dampening. Try putting a pillow or towel or whatever against the reso head to see if that gives you the sound you are looking for. I can't say why the feel has changed.
Roland TD30KV
Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Sometimes, especially with bass drum heads, they really need to stretch and get "played in" to get in that sweet zone. Since you were at the gig, I would take that reso head and crank it up, way, way past the point you would normally tune it. When mine are really tight, I even sit on them (no joke). Let it sit for a day or two, then completely detune it so all the tension rods are loose.

Slowly tension it back up. Press firmly in the center of the head the entire time you are tuning it. I would say about a half turn at most on each lug. When you are done with each lug, release your hand and all the wrinkles should disappear. That's about the lowest usable point for your head. You can tweak it here and there, but that should be a good starting point.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
The foam around the port hole on the EMAD reso is responsible for quite a bit of dampening. Try putting a pillow or towel or whatever against the reso head to see if that gives you the sound you are looking for. I can't say why the feel has changed.
This, plus depending on which color EQ3 Reso you got, they aren't all 10 Mil like the EMAD reso either.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will try to "sit in" the reso head, as soon I find time, and let you know what happened.

EQ3 reso is black, so it's 10mil.

I also got a new batter head, EQ4 clear, as I wanted to change the sound of my bass drum from that Emad2 click/dot, to some fuller deeper bass thump, but I will mess with that when old Emad2 gets worn out.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Pioneer Member

I completely fail to see how you would get significant rebound at all if the reso head is ported. For sure, there's a small amount that will vary according to head tensions, but it's minimal.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

^^I think itís the damaged and ripped part that impacted rebound and sound. Sounds as though OP was used to a flat, flabby and dead BD. Now things are right and a shock. Probably more of a shock than going from a ported to non-ported reso.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savudin View Post
I tuned it same as old head, didn't changed anything around batter head and pedal, and got huuuge difference - boomy sound, pedal rebound, totally new sound and feel. I've loosened the reso a bit to get some better sound, since I was at the gig, but rebound was so uncomfortable my leg cramped at the end of the gig.
All bass drums have boom unless you had very slack or dampened situation before.
To reduce more of the boom sound you would tighten the reso more, not loosen. If you tighten a reso enough you eventually choke a drum. A tight reso gets a shorter note.
The big difference is you've lost all the dampening on the EMAD reso. If you want to keep the EQ3 head and need more dampening to simulate your older reso, try a felt strip, its very easy and controllable.