Troll Control.

mattsmith

Platinum Member
Hey Guys,

As many of you know, we had one of our more celebrated trolls finally show his regular true colors and destroy 2 perfectly good threads before bumping one of his own and trashing that one too. As is his usual custom he then psycho insulted everyone within a post of his before the usual banning.

I have since heard that some of you knew in advance that Stickit was in fact the same trouble maker aka: juststickinaround, tommycanuhearme, mad max, white drummer, johnny ringo and several others. Please guys, the only way we put a stop to this stuff is when you contact a moderator the minute you figure it out. This guy's Stickit persona actually waited 3 months this time before deciding to pull his usual idiocy, and no it's not all harmless fun. 4 years ago I had a very serious incident occur over a stupid forum troll and cops were brought in.

These guys are no laughing matter, and despite what some here believe they don't automatically change their stripes when they come back under a different name. Now in saying this I am in no way implying that

johnnyjuststickinstickittommycanuhearmemadwhitedrummermaxringoaround

is the worst case scenario, but come on aren't you sick of the garbage, and coming from a 50+ year old man besides?

At the very least guys like this punk the dialogue we're trying to create here because they don't understand the value of positive Internet communication. For some of these guys the e world is just this big toy to be punked and ridiculed, never expected to attain the magnificence and glory of pencils, paper and posters. They don't understand or even care that for many of us younger guys especially, this is where we've grown up, learned much of this very new way of doing business, and are seen and heard in a structured and rather amazing equal playing field for all marketplace.

Every time Troll the Drumming Hack punks a thread, not only does it sidetrack important dialogue on the Internet's most important drum site, it's the equivalent of a punk spray painting the DW sign or drawing mustaches and gap tooths on the posters many of us spent a lot of time creating.

Mostly guys like this are mad because they can't play up to the level they thought as middle aged players they would have attained a long time ago, and they want every one to be as miserable and limited as they are, because they refused to make the exact positive choices that many of you on this forum are making now in a timely manner.

No you don't ignore them. You obviously see how futile that is right? Let's just put a stop to these clowns once and for all.

When you spot one of these characters, call the mod and let's end it quick.

I think enough is enough. Let's get them out of the chat room and into the practice room where they belong.

Well my take on it is very clear Matt. I don't like to see anyone banned but when someone attacks EVERYONE in sight for no apparent clear reason {only really known to them} you have to make a move to shut the door as was done by the powers that be that pays the bills for this site.

If someone showed up at a party and did the same thing and insulted everyone and behaved badly like we witnessed here on the net in the flesh they would soon be thrown out on their ear without any grace in the matter.

When someones goal is to attack, insult and flame, cause trouble and generally act like a real a$$ towards other members coming from a wide range of backgrounds and views to offer the forum well the rules here are clear they have sealed their fate. So it goes once again.......

I wonder if he's the same person that gave me problems on drumheads.org...
That person was a Peter Criss fanatic who when everyone finally turned on her antics, came out and said she had cancer. She was a he, and I called his employer to let them know how he was spending his time at work on their computers. :)

I wonder if he's the same person that gave me problems on drumheads.org...
That person was a Peter Criss fanatic who when everyone finally turned on her antics, came out and said she had cancer. She was a he, and I called his employer to let them know how he was spending his time at work on their computers. :)

I have found over the past 5 years that 90% of all the trolls on drum forums are 10 guys tops. This same guy we're discussing here almost singlehandedly destroyed the drumsmylife forum. Go over there now. I'll bet no one's posted in a month. That used to be a very healthy place. But see, guys like this....it's only about them.

Then strangely he's sort of OK at drumchat. But that's mostly because he has posted 360 times and has started over 80 different threads. so any time he posts he's in total control within the confines of his own thread. And when he posts video he's assured that 3 or so very friendly amateur guys always gives him positive input. In fact one of them /and the primary mod/ is a minister who tolerates nothing that even remotely looks to go negative. So there he's totally insulated. It seems like a good place for him too. But it doesn't get the action this place gets, and I think he really wants the bigger e stage for his little show. Sad isn't it?

BTW, if any of you who were in this last fracas has youtubes, better disable the ratings and comments for at least a week until he chills out. That's usually where he goes next.

I didn't know what a troll was ( until Stan educated me with some fine 3D illustrations ), but I do know what being pointlessly rude and insulting is. I dont associate that tenor with this site which is why this is the only place I visit. I hope it stays that way

I didn't know what a troll was ( until Stan educated me with some fine 3D illustrations ), but I do know what being pointlessly rude and insulting is. I dont associate that tenor with this site which is why this is the only place I visit. I hope it stays that way

Mainly a troll is a confused person who feels he's been insulted or done a great disservice /usually after he leveled the first misdeed himself/ then hounds your every cyberspace move...

...or in the case of youtube they're just idiot 12 year olds speed posting insults because they're bored.

Our trolls are almost always the former, and in the case of some will hold insanely petty grudges for years.

Amen on that Abe.............

I find the trolling pretty entertaining mostly and have been accused of trollhood myself. Never on a drum forum, but I post to some news forums and my understanding of current events isn't very mainstream, so I can't post on MSNBC or CNN or stuff like that anymore. :)
Sometimes it can get out of hand and hurt a forum though. I never really had a problem with it and in fact the event usually gets people interacting and learning anyway...

You really need to stick to the golden rule, "Don't feed the trolls". Mark will be back again, and you just need to ignore him. On another forum, he has personally admitted to having personal problems which requires medication. He will be back.

BTW, I do tend to try to be civil with him, so that the negativity stays at a minimum. Like Rodney King once said, "Can't we all get along"? ;-P

Can't believe I responded to the "Should I trade this Mapex for a Ludwig" thread.....and STILL didn't make the association.

Sometimes I think I could be as deluded as Tommy/Johnny/Max/Stickit, is.

Any bookies amongst us? I'd like odds on how long it takes that bona fide lunatic to show up again......I'm willing to wager on that one (Hi Mark.....you've just gotta be stalking, I just know you won't be able to help yourself).

"I didn't know what a troll was ( until Stan educated me with some fine 3D illustrations ), but I do know what being pointlessly rude and insulting is. I dont associate that tenor with this site which is why this is the only place I visit. I hope it stays that way"

I know now Aydee.......I'm still yet to grasp who is THAT sad that they'd bother though. Agreed.....I only have one forum that I visit and have no wish to see it exploited.

You really need to stick to the golden rule, "Don't feed the trolls". Mark will be back again, and you just need to ignore him. On another forum, he has personally admitted to having personal problems which requires medication. He will be back.

BTW, I do tend to try to be civil with him, so that the negativity stays at a minimum. Like Rodney King once said, "Can't we all get along"? ;-P

+1
>>>>>>>>>..........

Perhaps we're missing a trick here. Instead of banning them, how about opening up a trolls only section. They're banned from the main site, & we can't interact with them, but they can throw insults between themselves as much as they like. Kinda like a Drummerworld padded cell therapy room. Once they've shown they can have a calming influence over the other trolls, they can enter the main site again.

This would provide great entertainment for the rest of us, and show our compassionate side by offering rehabilitation. We could call it the Drumgeon.

We could call it the Drumgeon.

+ 1 , Andy." For whom the cowbell trolls".

But seriously, I think Bernhard is working very hard to keep things positive and civil around here, and he allows for a large degree of acceptance for some pretty funky posters and postings, and those that value that should help him keep this place free of " these crazy little things called trolls"

+ 1 , Andy." For whom the cowbell trolls".

But seriously, I think Bernhard is working very hard to keep things positive and civil around here, and he allows for a large degree of acceptance for some pretty funky posters and postings, and those that value that should help him keep this place free of " these crazy little things called trolls"

Agreed. A bit of spice is fine & welcome IMO, but like all banter, it should be respectful & devoid of personal reference. Now where's that "best Echina for jazz" thread, lol!

Now where's that "best Echina for jazz" thread, lol!

...but there's a difference, Andy. Nastiness and targeting people is one thing but I'll admit some fire and brimstone and differences are absolutely necessary otherwise we'd have a neutral grey and inbred dweeb colony where everyone plays Ludwigs and agrees with each other .

The country north of south Korea comes to mind..

But Jazz, yea.. what with the J word? Why is it that Jazz brings out all the 'Madmax-like' warriors with their ray-guns from their 'drumgeons' ?

'tis a puzzlement..

I mean all of rock n roll is pretty cool and accepting and there's lots of agreement there. Bonham was the man, The Bealtes were the phenoms, the Brit history etc and so on...

The echo of "Why is Jazz a four letter word" stills lingers..

... But seriously, I think Bernhard is working very hard to keep things positive and civil around here, and he allows for a large degree of acceptance for some pretty funky posters and postings, and those that value that should help him keep this place free of " these crazy little things called trolls"

I agree ... so much of topical discussion here, is based on opinion. And everyone has one ... and is entitled to one ... and no one's opinion is "any" more valid, than someone elses. And Bernhard gives us all a pretty long leash. But a cat like this Mark guy, well, 3 strikes, you're out dude. I think it's quite an easy concept to understand ... that if you get 86'd from a place ... that's it ... done ... fin. Especially a guy from Texas, should understand the concept.​
No doubt, this guy will probably be back. Someone ID's him, or 5 or 10 someone's, hit the alert button, and let Bernhard and DB handle the rest. We don't need to get all vigilante and medieval on the guy ... that would be, too much fun ...​

aydee;749745But Jazz said:
I can only offer that the majority on the forum don't/can't play jazz and therefore have no real empathy with the genre. I include myself in that sector. So the question is, why doesn't metal get the same reaction? I think the trigger (non deliberate metal referance) is perceived snobbery. The "I occupy a higher place than you" attitude that a tiny minority of jazz players seem hellbent on thrusting down other player's throats is to blame IMO. Strange thing is, I've never encountered that attitude on these boards, so I can only assume tension is established by association default.

The truth of the matter is, that most accomplished jazz players do indeed occupy a higher place in the musician skills hierarchy, & many non jazz players know that to be the case. Some non jazz artists then succumb through their perception of personal vulnerability and react defensively. The circle begins. I think most non jazz players would have much less of an issue if the impression of superiority wasn't accompanied by a devaluing of non jazz genres. Again, I've not experienced that on these boards either, so I can only conclude stances are taken based on preconceptions.

I understand your thoughts in principle, but I take this issue a little more seriously. When you've changed your phone number 2 or 3 times and had to deal with a guy who says he wants to do stuff to you then your attitude may change, in fact I'm sure of it.

Mark most likely would never go this far, but what he often does is no different than crank calling day and night and egging your house. And in the real world both of those things are illegal in almost every country.

I spend a great deal of time with e presentations and no one likes a guy just showing up with a hammer, while more often than you think they eventually insert their stuff into the three dimensional world.

Again I see the seriousness part here more of an age related issue. We younger guys understand well the interconnectedness of the Internet with real life, while some older guys with issues think the whole genre is no more than an elaborate video game that shares little relationship with anything real, when they couldn't be more wrong.

Besides this isn't an issue here of a troll just attacking from out of the blue. Mark, for example will often in the beginning play normally for weeks, then insert himself more aggressively before he entirely reveals himself. This time he was even calling people Mate to seal the identity issue before he dropped the other shoe. But still, like a guy who wants to be caught he will always post a picture somewhere of that same drumset. But you miss that for a while because you're not thinking that everyone who joins this forum might be Mark the troll.

But mostly it's a waste of time. This forum is about drum discussion. We're not an out patient alternative for people with issues, nor are such concepts even supposed to be on the radar.

According to a letter Bernhard just sent to many us...the correct response is to report it the moment you know.

That makes total sense and I think that's the only thing you can reasonably do.

I too got a PM from Bernhard asking us to help him and the community by participating in a neighborhood watch of sorts. I think it's the least we could do in light of all he's given us.
But no doubt about it, Matt is like a bloodhound and can detect trolling like nobody's business.

We have the best forum model I've seen. I don't know how many other forums have this family atmosphere, but it certainly is my favorite destination on the net.

Glad to help out, Bernhard and Dog

We have the best forum model I've seen. I don't know how many other forums have this family atmosphere, but it certainly is my favorite destination on the net.

Here, here. I have left other forums because of bullying behavior. We have a great community here that is worth the effort to protect. I am glad lots of people here feel this way about trolls.

GJS

Back