$800 DW kit on Craigslist?

imalildrummaboi

Hey everyone,

Well I ran across an unbelievable deal on craigslist the other day....someone's selling a DW collector's series maple kit (12/14/16/22 - my exact sizes) for $800 just a few hours away from where I live. I emailed the guy and got a few more pictures and it turns out the drums are beat up as hell... They've apparently been on tour and such WITHOUT cases and obviously no care was taken in maintaining them, but they're still DWs. I think this might be a good buy regardless, if anything, maybe as a project or something to sand down all the shells and re-finish it.

I figure as long as the bearing edges aren't damaged and the shells aren't out of round, they'd still be worth fixing.

I'll attach some pictures... they're all really scratched and one floor tom even has a gouge in it, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Adam

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

I'm in the wrong part of the world to offer advice on correct pricing. But, what I would do is weigh up the cost of any repairs I'd need to do (in this case, you either need to sand back the whole kit and re-lacquer = very labour intensive, or re-wrap).....either way, you're looking at investing both money and your time to get this done. I'd certainly be looking to factor both those things into the total amount I was prepared to pay for the kit.

Of course, you may like it "battle scarred" and keep it as is. But if you're planning on spending excess time and money, then make sure you're happy with the cost of the drums at point of sale......if not, offer less.

If you like the sound of DW's, jump on 'em.​
I just got the new Guitar Center catalog the other day. Let's see...for $800...you could get a Gretsch Catalina kit ($749), or, for a little more, a PDP kit ($999), or, a Pearl Vision kit ($799).​
My opinion, the DW's win hands down. A little road rash, no big deal. Like you said, re-finish it, would make for a good project kit.​
Your "beater" kit is a DW kit, you could tell people. "Ya otta see my nice kit, that never leaves the house."​

Given a kit like that in good condition on ebay/craigslist normally has an asking price of $1600-$2000 or so, $800 seems fair for a beat up version.

For recording, no one is going to see the drum kit anyway.

That said, I can't see myself buying a kit that is that beat up. It's just not me.

I would have to look at the bearing edges real close.Theres no telling what kind of shape they are in.If they are not damaged like the rest of the kit,id say they are worth it.But if they have been nicked,chipped,gouged up they are not going to tune up id stay away.800 is still some coin to lay out.Man their was not a hint of care taken on those things

Given a kit like that in good condition on ebay/craigslist normally has an asking price of $1600-$2000 or so, $800 seems fair for a beat up version.

Yeah...what he said. Make sure that the gouge on the floor tom doesn't show ANY signs of damage on the interior of the shell.

Personally, I'd buy this as a project. I'd use some wood filler on the gouges/deep scratches, and then re-wrap it.

Last edited:
That 16" floor tom is munched! You'll never get the wood to look right on that gouged area. You would be better off (Ahem) wrapping them.

Those look to be Keller era DW's. I always liked DW's from that time period, I still have a set that I haven't played in some time. I would ask a boat load of questions about these. Only a really careless owner would treat a top of the line set of drums in such a fashion.

I would try to Protestant him down a couple of hundred, because the appearance is so trashed. Play the drums and make sure they sound good, because if they are damaged to where they don't sound good, there's no way to fix that.

Only get this kit if you enjoy fixing/restoring things; otherwise you will be miserable. I would suggest a good wrap (plastic or wood veneer) to hide all the scars.

Only get this kit if you enjoy fixing/restoring things; otherwise you will be miserable. I would suggest a good wrap (plastic or wood veneer) to hide all the scars.

He'll be miserable any way you slice it. This set is trashed.

Refinish it nice, then what do you do with the lugs (they're wasted)? It'll look terrible with a nice finish and wasted lugs.

Last edited:
I'd buy them for sure. I wouldn't wrap them, though. I don't mind how thrashed looking they are. Be a great gigging kit. You won't need to worry about cases or treating them extra careful - just careful enough not to damage the heads. Of course, you wouldn't want to abuse them, but this looks like a great kit IMO.

Of course, I'd not let on that I didn't care and I'd get him to go lower on the price.

Looks like a tension rod is missing on the 16 and a FT leg mount missing screws. Make sure that hardware isn't stripped or broken because that'll add up fast). I'd seriously check the threads on every lug and tension rod and every piece of hardware. Spend some time with them: take the heads off and see what shape the bearing edges are in. They can be recut, but it'll cost more money.

If it is all just cosmetic, then I'd do it.

He'll be miserable any way you slice it. This set is trashed.

Refinish it nice, then what do you do with the lugs (they're wasted)? It'll look terrible with a nice finish and wasted lugs.

Good point. I know DW doesn't sell its hardware separately, either, so you can't buy replacement lugs.

You'll have to refinish the hardware, as well. You may have to ship that off as not many places to chroming anymore due to the toxic wastes produced.

Good point. I know DW doesn't sell its hardware separately, either, so you can't buy replacement lugs.

You'll have to refinish the hardware, as well. You may have to ship that off as not many places to chroming anymore due to the toxic wastes produced.

There's always the black market....er....I mean, um, eBay!

I'm really surprised that so many of you would consider buying this set for 800. The set is trashed, I don't see why it would be safe to assume that the damage is cosmetic only.
Look at what you're getting for that money, trashed keller shells and trashed DW hardware.

That is one of the worst abused sets that I have seen. Why assume that the bearing edges are good or that the hardware is all working?

Wayne

Not on my dime. I would keep looking. Unless you see some status symbol in owning DW drums. I would pass. DW are not the best sounding in the world and for 800 you could do a lot better. I take it by your screen name that you are young and that the DW brand means more to you than actually having decent drums.

Listen to Gruntersdad. Dude, Play drums that sound GREAT not that have a great logo or a great following. You CAN do better at this point.

On the other hand, LOWBALL the SHI# out of the seller!

Knocking around in the back of a van on a lowball tour can scratch up drums like that. So can a few years of local bar gigs without cases. Unless something really fell on them just right, the bearing edges are protected by the hoops. If you don't mind a beater looking set, after checking out the edges and hardware intergity, I would consider those. You're going to have to put out $1500+ to get comparable level instruments. And maybe you want the image of the journeyman local go-to guy, instead of looking like a collector.

Holy crap, I guess my email notifications didn't work, I didn't see all this! Thanks so much guys!

You're right, i'm 17 and I already have a custom birch keller shelled kit and a starclassic maple - two great kits.

I obviously don't need 3 kits, and I'll probably sell my starclassics if if I get another kit, it just seems like too much of a deal to pass up...

I'm not a big fan of wraps, but I have no problem with a slightly beat up finish. I figure I could sand it down a bit, fill in the big scratches and gouges with epoxy, and put a little lacquer over it and make it look halfway decent anyway.

Do you think they'd sound significantly better than my starclassics?
Independent.jpg

(I also have a 10x6.5 or 7 and a 14x12 not pictured - got these for $770 on CL)

the 10" and 12" rack toms were cut down and re-edged by bill @ pork pie by the previous owner

Back